Melodic lead tone

Wildwind

Experienced
Not easy to describe a sound in my head. I'm sure many of you know that. But I will try.

Guitar is usually a Strat with normal output. I'm mainly a P&W player. This tone I'm seeking will be useful there as well.

But I also get asked to set up and play along with tracks. Background noise with an attitude, hired by other guitar players usually.Plus I have an idea for some other projects along these lines and can create my own tracks at need.

I'm in love with Fender clean tones. Mainly I've used the Bandmaster, Urban Twin, and SF Twin boosted by the Shimmer Drive. I like it a lot, but it's not quite what I want, and it's a little thin. None of these performances are done with clean tones. There's always some drive or amp gain going on.

My Axe-Fx (since retired for my AX8) was on FW 6.x when I got it. And I fell in love with the Trainwreck tones of that era. But subsequent FW upgrades changed that tone. I'm sure they are more accurate but, to me, I lost that tone. I have tried all versions, plus every other amp in the box at some point.

I"m also using a Friedman 2018, which is fatter and I like the tone. Still, it's not the sound in my head.

So to try to sum this up, I'm looking for pretty tone that sings (which I get nicely with the aforementioned), stays tight on the lows and sweet on the highs. My Strats are up to the task.

I'm looking for an amp that rings this bell for you. All suggestions are appreciated. Not looking for patches but will gladly try any out. If you have a trick or two, I'm listening. Long-time player and Fractal user, so I am kicking out some righteous tones. Any suggestions are appreciated. And I'll answer any questions not covered here.

Thanks everyone!

Greg

No. Have only used Fractal for some time now. Sold all my amps and pedals years ago. When I tried that Trainwreck back then, it really lit me up.

Ive been getting into the fender bassGuy lately ,I am a rock & roll guy ,but the bassguy you can get nice clean with your guitar volume and then add tube screamer for leads.

I will try that! Thanks! I was playing with a TS today with my other Fender tones and it was quite pleasing. I am now running through the different Trainwreck models to try to recapture that tone from long ago. I don't know which model that was back then. I know one option is the FAS model ported over from the first-generation rack units. All worthy candidates. I'm trying with and without ODs. Back in the early days, I had quit using ODs, given that the amp models were so good I didn't feel an OD was needed. I came out of the POD school and FAS was a whole new game for me. I have been using various ODs in the last year or two.

Not easy to describe a sound in my head. I'm sure many of you know that. But I will try.

Guitar is usually a Strat with normal output. I'm mainly a P&W player. This tone I'm seeking will be useful there as well.

But I also get asked to set up and play along with tracks. Background noise with an attitude, hired by other guitar players usually.Plus I have an idea for some other projects along these lines and can create my own tracks at need.

I'm in love with Fender clean tones. Mainly I've used the Bandmaster, Urban Twin, and SF Twin boosted by the Shimmer Drive. I like it a lot, but it's not quite what I want, and it's a little thin. None of these performances are done with clean tones. There's always some drive or amp gain going on.

My Axe-Fx (since retired for my AX8) was on FW 6.x when I got it. And I fell in love with the Trainwreck tones of that era. But subsequent FW upgrades changed that tone. I'm sure they are more accurate but, to me, I lost that tone. I have tried all versions, plus every other amp in the box at some point.

I"m also using a Friedman 2018, which is fatter and I like the tone. Still, it's not the sound in my head.

So to try to sum this up, I'm looking for pretty tone that sings (which I get nicely with the aforementioned), stays tight on the lows and sweet on the highs. My Strats are up to the task.

I'm looking for an amp that rings this bell for you. All suggestions are appreciated. Not looking for patches but will gladly try any out. If you have a trick or two, I'm listening. Long-time player and Fractal user, so I am kicking out some righteous tones. Any suggestions are appreciated. And I'll answer any questions not covered here.

Thanks everyone!

Greg

have you given a chance to the Vox? I'm always impressed by the sounds. I do not know if this is what you are looking for .. but listen to this test I did using a vox ac30.

the full song :
on youtube is not whole :

Thanks Marciel! Huge compliments on your playing and tone! It's not the sound I was after, but it's a great tone. I will try that model. To date, I've not succeeded in finding Vox tones to my liking. You have just changed my mind and I will renew my efforts.

It is a very relevant example. What I play is very similar, plus the Strat thing evens the playing field.

Back to the playing - again, I'm super impressed. Playing with all that gain but totally free of artifacts as you move around; truly great stuff in every respect!

Thanks for taking the time!

Greg

Hey Greg! I use the 2018 also for P&W, though I’m using an old Ibanez V with Bareknuckles, or my American Deluxe strat, for rhythm. I’m undecided on a lead tone at this point. Sometimes I use a saturated Mark ++.
Sometimes I use the Energyball for rhythm, too. It’s got a bright, loose vibe that is just right for heavy stuff (think Kutless). I usually cut a lot of the highs with this amp, and keep the drive fairly low.

The Energyball can work for lead tones, too. I think Amaranthe uses that amp, and his tone is great.

Jake

Hey Jake! Thanks for responding here! It's good to hear from you. I have not tried either of those amps and will check them out tomorrow. Should be fun!

Greg

I'll use a Supro amp along with a tube driver pedal to get a great Eric Johnson-eqsue tone from my Strat (which is similar to how he got his tone for years, except he used a Marshall Plexi), so maybe try starting there.

There are three and four knob versions of that pedal in the AX8, so try out both! I lean more towards the 4 knob myself :)

You might try the TX Star or the Carr. Both great amps for P&W. I use them all the time. I have recently added a Matchless preset to my go to bank. I am still tweaking it but I really like it. Great for P&W.

I usually put my presets here or at the exchange. You can search under my forum name. I have not posted the Matchless preset yet. I have shared other presets that you might like. I primarily play P&W.

Thanks everyone. I"m sorry to say I never got to try any of these suggestions today. I've been packing and making arrangements to travel to Florida for my father's funeral on Monday. But I will save these notes and get to them next week. Your responses are all worthy and appreciated!

Greg

Thanks everyone. I"m sorry to say I never got to try any of these suggestions today. I've been packing and making arrangements to travel to Florida for my father's funeral on Monday. But I will save these notes and get to them next week. Your responses are all worthy and appreciated!

Greg
So sorry for your loss, Greg. Praying for you and your family brother.

Wildwind, sorry to hear about your father.

Hopefully when things settle down you can focus on the sound you are after.
I suppose another option would be the Austin Buddy Naked Amp Pack.
Take a look at that and see if that may be what you are looking for.
I'm sure AB would answer any questions you have too!

Peace be with you.

Maybe an AC-20..? There is 4 different types, also with 2 preamp tube structure, They are kind of British clean an break up soft to medium and all have high cut in front panel. Great for fender strat. clean.. Lots of possibilities..

Back
Top Bottom