Mellow Reverb for Archtop Jazz

ronjazz

Hello,
I have an Axe-FX II XL+ and am relatively new to same, and have been searching among the included presets for a mellow sounding reverb to use with my hollow body arch tops but have yet to find one. Can any of you power users offer a suggestion as to where I might find one, either from within the Axe-Fx itself or as a download?
Thank you in advance

For jazzy tones I usually go for a plate or hall reverb. You can roll of some of the high frequencies on the plate to get more of a classic studio tone.

Thank you for your reply.
Are those reverbs— plate and hall —part of the internal presets? Or must they be added to an existing preset. Sorry if the question is sophomoric, but I am new to the Axe-Fx.

A preset is nothing more than a set of effect blocks arranged in a specific routing, and with specific settings for various adjustable parameters.

You can't download effects, although you could download a saved block or a saved preset.

Some effects blocks have a "type" parameter. Reverb is one of those. There are fair number of types.

It sounds to me more like you are looking for a preset, as opposed to just a reverb? You won't (typically) use only a reverb - you would have an amp block and a reverb block and possibly a cab block. Unless you are using the Axe Fx just for effects?

Hello,
I have an Axe-FX II XL+ and am relatively new to same, and have been searching among the included presets for a mellow sounding reverb to use with my hollow body arch tops but have yet to find one. Can any of you power users offer a suggestion as to where I might find one, either from within the Axe-Fx itself or as a download?
Thank you in advance

Open AXE EDIT
Just start with the Double Verb stock preset.
Get on your Neck pickup,

Reduce Input Trim to .500 assuming you have a humbucker..
Adjust Input Drive to get clean tone.
Turn off Bright switch.
Adjust other B/M/T to taste.

Click on the Reverb block in AXE EDIT.
It will be on Studio.
Click on that and you will have 43 types of Reverb to try. Adjust those to taste.

Play around with guitar volume and tone control of course.

Use Level in Amp block screen to get more volume as needed.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Scan the presets for the Mr Benson preset. Its a great place to start for archtops! I change the Amp model from JC120 to ODS100 clean for a less clinical clean with more bloom and air to the notes. And I change the IR to Ownhammer's various 1x12 cabs. Works for me. The reverb on that preset is also a good place to start for your archtop. When you get comfortable the IRs are the final frontier for tailoring your tone IME. Its a bit of a rabbit hole so its best to know what you are looking for in advance. Enjoy the ride!

Back
Top Bottom