Megadeth's Tornado of Souls Instrumental Section w/Solo (multiple A/V tracks)

kengtin

Yes, yet another TOS "solo" video, however I figured I'd do something a bit different this time. I mainly wanted to give my Axe FX II a "field test", brush up my rusty audio production skills and why not video tape myself while I was at it? I chose this song/section because it simply RULEZ (great memories).

The main focus was the audio, which was fully produced in Sonar. I wanted to simply use 3 guitar tracks (2 rhythm, 1 lead), each one recorded in one straight shot and each with it's own video on the screen. The guitar sounds are my own patches and come straight from the Axe FX II with minimum post-EQ to fit them right into the mix. I sequenced the MIDI tracks for drums and bass from scratch as well.

NOTES:
- The objective was never to try and resemble Megadeth's sound, original recording or live performance of this tune.
- Yes yes, this song has nothing to do with a 7-string, but that's the only axe I have in E and I wanted to keep the original tuning.

TECH DETAILS:
- Sonar 8.5 PE (64-bit)
- EZDrummer w/Metal Machine
- Axe FX II (JMP-1/Powerball patches for rhythm, JVM for the lead - v6.00)
- B.C. Rich Jr. V 7 w/Seymour Duncan Blackouts
- Monitored on 2 Yamaha HS-50
- TrakAxPC 3

I'll update with links to the Axe FX II (v6.02) patches soon...

Enjoy

Very nice ...loved it. I love that you used EZ drummer on this also. I have been contemplating getting this.
Awesome playing....Marty is not an easy feat to accomplish.

Love it. You did VERY good on the drums as well. I wasn't paying attention to them because of the great guitar playing, so I didn't know they were EZ drums until I read the post after I listened/watched your clip.
Good job, and keep up the excellent work.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments.

As for EZ Drummer, it may seem "lite" to some people, but you can do a lot with it... the built in grooves help A LOT when you have nothing but the mouse :)

Dude, this smokes man!! Well done on all accounts, especially the Marty solo. Programming drums isn't that easy either... you probably spent more time on the drums than the frickin' guitar work...

Dude, this smokes man!! Well done on all accounts, especially the Marty solo. Programming drums isn't that easy either... you probably spent more time on the drums than the frickin' guitar work...

Thanks a lot, glad you liked it. However, the solo did give me a hard time, specially because most of the tabs out there are ridiculously wrong and I only could find a couple of good close up videos of Marty playing sections of this live. And of course, trying to nail the nuances and dynamics only Marty has is a challenge alone.

As for the drums, yes I spent some time dialing the basic pattern along with the intro fill and the basic fills just with the mouse. The crazy ass fills are courtesy of Mr. Tempesta from the Metal Machine ;)

The rest of the time was spent mainly on the audio mix, I hope that's reflected as well :)

Back
Top Bottom