Meesage in the bottle settings

Gwillis

Inspired
Hi guys

I'm looking for the tone of the Police - Message in the bottle ? I gonna try to play with a Fender strato , is it a pich shifting ? flanger maybe for the original song

thanks

Start with the JC-120 model (Jazz) and either a 1x12 Open Cab (or try one of the 2x12 Cust or Tweed) and a good helping of Chorus. A touch of reverb and you'll be right in the ballpark. No pitch shifting and I can't hear any Flanger on the original. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will help out with anything else.

[I think he used an Electric Mistress flanger on that and maybe some chorus. QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I heard that before Andy Summer used a flanger , it's not easy to fine the right settings , I tried last night flanger/ chorus together but it's not WOW..., can someone can hep me ?

thanks

I'm very much a newbie but added the Custom Shifter to get the harmony guitar part. I know that 3 or 4 notes are a "little off" at the F#,C#,G#-A part but it works good enough for playing in the basement.

Andy never used chorus during The Police era (at least the early part of it). It's all EHX Electric Mistress. The special thing about that flanger is that the waveform is a triangle, which isn't that common for a flanger. He also used a MXR Dynacomp, his Tele with all the extra switching and electronics, and Marshalls amps and cabs.

Thanks tonygtr

I will try flanger ( triangle waveform ) with compress , I took CAE amp with mesa cab ( last tour in 2008 with the Police used that ) but i will try marshall it's more vintage

There is a preset in Bank A, 123 called Andy's Message that might be worth trying. But here for those wanting to create the harmony I have written out the main part, the second bar is slightly different just prior to going into the chorus. But this should get you close.

message.JPG

The repeat says 8 times but just ignore that it is just what I put into the editor while I wrote it out.

It can be seen that the main part is followed by a guitar a third higher in C#minor, but at times it is a fifth higher. It is all diatonic, but the harmony interval is not constant.

Back
Top Bottom