Meaningful direction / links for a newbie AX8 user

Quirky

It seems I'll finally get an AX8 in a couple of weeks time. (first time Fractal user)
To prepare , I've started to watch a few vids etc.

I play rock/pop covers.

I could sift through tons of stuff I know, but are there a few tute recommendations that can be made to make it useful for when I finally get to unpack it?. Like:
eg
101 Learning about AX8
102 Learning about AX8

You know what I mean.... cheers.

A second vote for the user’s manual. I read that thing cover-to-cover while I waited for delivery of mine, and when the AX8 arrived, I was up and running immediately with no real option paralysis, as I kinda new - ballpark, what all the many options would do to my sound - what I needed, what I didn’t, and as importantly, what was available to me...that kinda thing.

With as many options as these rigs allow for.. just incredible amounts of tweakabilty, I could imagine a person getting lost, or wasting a lot of time guessing to what those options are doing without the benefit of the info in the manual. For me, that was the fastest easiest way to get the most out of the AX8.

Ummmmmm.....You could also look into level and gain staging tutorials? ... Austin Buddy (the fine-upstanding type that he is), did everybody a solid with a tutorial on YouTube regarding this..

..Have fun! Really, these things are great! :0)

When I first got my AX-8, in addition to the AX-8 owner's manual, which as mentioned above has been very useful, I also downloaded the Axe-FX-II manual, as it has more detail on the various effects.

And as Yek linked above, the Wiki has been very useful as well.

But long-term perhaps as important, for me, has been daily perusing this community.

Please read Yek‘s Amps and Yek’s Drive Guide.

There's tons of info about Fractal Amp's and Drives. Also Leon‘s videos are great.

And ask any question here in this forum, here are many people who like to help, for me this is the best source about AX8 and the best forum on the net.

Thanks Milan67.. Have and will continue to do.. I imagine shortly I'll have exhausted theory (allbeit a few more pages of the manuals to go!) and need to sit with a real unit and re-visit some of this in practice.. thanks to all for your assistance.. :)

It seems I'll finally get an AX8 in a couple of weeks time. (first time Fractal user)

I play rock/pop covers.

I could sift through tons of stuff I know, but are there a few tute recommendations that can be made to make it useful for when I finally get to unpack it?. Like:
eg
101 Learning about AX8
102 Learning about AX8

Welcome to the new world :) I've had mine for about 2 years now I think and I still learn stuff every time I sit down with it. Read/watch everything you can - and just mess around with the unit when you get it. Learn how to backup all your presets and stuff (with FractalBot). You'll probably have a lot of normal new owner questions that you can find the answers to by searching the forum as well...super helpful crowd of people out here!

I play rock/pop covers.

eg
101 Learning about AX8
102 Learning about AX8

One of the coolest moments about learning the AX8 is the moment when you figure out how the scenes and presets work and that it's really simple once you experience it. And it really only takes about an hour for that to happen. Then the possibilities are endless....which can be frustrating. Enjoy the journey. I am.

when you figure out how the scenes and presets work

I always tell people that presets are like your old-school pedalboard. What did you put on there? And how did you wire it up? These are things you cannot change in the middle of playing a song.

Scenes are just the x/y controls and the on/off state of each effect, and a few other things that you can control if you want to get really fancy. Pretty much scenes are just the stuff you could change mid-song if you put a gigrig on your pedalboard.

Thanks JR,, yep starting to get a handle on the basic archtecture. Presets/scenes/x/y I/O etc. As I'm getting a second hand unit I think using Edit and the Fractal Bot (and moving things around) and a workflow system might be the main issues now. Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom