McMillen SoftStep

Sleestak

Power User
Greetings. Has anyone here used a McMillen SoftStep as the controller for your AxeFX? I have an MFC-101 MkIII, and I really love it. However, I have several fly dates ahead of me and need to make my entire rig fit in a carry-on soft rack bag. So I'm looking for something like the SoftStep.

Does anyone have input on this controller? Do you like it? Have you built a template for it?

I just got mine today (SS 2) and have only played around with it with my Strymon Big Sky but I'm really impressed with how easy it is to program on the computer. I bought it because I love the idea of essentially having 10 possible expression pedals in a preset (or 20! if you use both x and y). You can mix a ton of different midi messages (even on different midi channels) in each patch. The only thing that surprised me is that it is actually super tiny. I can post some more detailed reviews in the next few days when I get it set up with everything.

What's important to me is phantom power, and tuner display. If softstep can do that, I'll buy in bulk

It's USB bus powered but no tuner display. You need to have the KMI midi expansion to send midi directly to the Axe or if you have any other midi outs connected to your computer you can just send the midi out from there without the expansion

I had one. The problem is the USB connection, much too flimsy for anything you put your feet on. Mine broke a few weeks after I had it, and I was so annoyed with it that I never bought sth from them again.

Just look at the Intro video from them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzRo-hbdsPY), there you can see the feet and the little connector and judge for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom