MC6 Toggle Effect on/off on FM3

bigkid

Hi. I must confess to being a midi newbie and it confounds me regularly. I see a lot of FM3 owners also use the Morningstar foot controllers. I can't seem to work out how to get the MC6 to toggle an effect on/off in the FM3. I use all 6 buttons on the MC6 to access 6 presets with a 'tap'. I want to be able to use one of these buttons to also toggle an effect with a 'long press'. If someone is doing something similar would you share the settings on the MC6 and the effect bypass in the FM3.

Appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Allan

I have an mc6 hooked up to my hx stomp at the moment. While trying to figure out how to get it to work with my FM3, I came across a series of videos by one of the forum members.
This one is on engaging and bypassing effects on the Axe Fx III but should work similarly for the FM3.
Not sure if it’ll help.

Hi. I must confess to being a midi newbie and it confounds me regularly. I see a lot of FM3 owners also use the Morningstar foot controllers. I can't seem to work out how to get the MC6 to toggle an effect on/off in the FM3. I use all 6 buttons on the MC6 to access 6 presets with a 'tap'. I want to be able to use one of these buttons to also toggle an effect with a 'long press'. If someone is doing something similar would you share the settings on the MC6 and the effect bypass in the FM3.

Appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Allan
The main thing is to use Release and Long Press Release. Make sure Toggle Mode is Off.

This is illustrative but if you use a midi monitor it should give you a feel for what is going on. Note the settings for position in the messages.

Msg-1 Action:Long Press Release; Type:CC; Pos:1;CC-#:50;CC-val:0
Msg-2 Action:Long Press Release; Type:CC; Pos:2;CC-#:50;CC-val:127
Msg-3 Action:Long Press Release; Type:Toggle Preset; Pos:Both
Msg-4 Action:Release; Type:CC; Pos:Both;CC-#:55;CC-val:3

Appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Allan
Do you have a Mark I or Mark II MC6?

Thanks for the advice sundance_kiddsg and stdout. Will work through it today. Chris, it is a MKII.

Thanks again folks. I have come up with a simpler way of bypassing or engaging an effect. In the case shown in the pictures below I am toggling the talk box On/Off. Toggling works fine. However, I want it to default to bypassed when I leave the preset for another and then return to the preset. I seem to remember that Message Scroll had something to do with this but I have tried it both on and off. If I am in Preset A, activate the talk box, then go to another preset and return to Preset A, it remembers the last state and the talk box is engaged rather than bypassed

The main thing is to use Release and Long Press Release. Make sure Toggle Mode is Off.

This is illustrative but if you use a midi monitor it should give you a feel for what is going on. Note the settings for position in the messages.

stdout. I am afraid I don't understand what is going on with your Messages 3 & 4. Do they have something to do with this issue?

Cheers,

AllanCapture1.JPGCapture.JPG

@bigkid you said
I use all 6 buttons on the MC6 to access 6 presets with a 'tap'. I want to be able to use one of these buttons to also toggle an effect with a 'long press'.

If Toggle Mode for the preset is OFF then in a scenario where you are using Long Press Release using a CC (#50 in the example) to engage/bypass an effect and a Release using a CC (#55m val=3) to select Scene 4 the following happens.

— CC#50,val=0 is sent when the toggle is in Position 1

— CC#50,val=127 is sent when the toggle is in Position 2

— toggles the preset between Position 1 and Position 2. This gives you finer grain control over when the toggle is set. If toggle is set at the level of the preset any Action will set the toggle.

— CC#55,val=3 is sent irrespective of what toggle position the preset is in

When Press is used as the Action a message is always sent. Using Release and Long Press Release allows the execution of the 2 CCs to be independent of each other. If you tap the preset switch CC#55 will always be sent with a value of 3. If you hold the switch for a period of time and release it CC#50 will be sent but the values toggle between 0 and 127.

I want it to default to bypassed when I leave the preset for another and then return to the preset.

Look at the Set Toggle type to manage the toggle setting for a preset.

Hope this helps.

Hi stdout. Thanks for taking the time with this. I have added the additional messages noted in your post and also an additional Msg 7, which I think is what you were suggesting in the last sentence above. The engage/bypassed effect switching is working well, however, the FM3 still remembers the last position it was in (engaged or bypassed) when shifting to other preset switches and returning, rather than defaulting to bypassed. Can you tell me whether I have I got something wrong in the attached midi settings?

Capture.JPG

Thanks again.

Allan

Last edited:
@bigkid There are a couple of scenarios where you might want to reset the toggle for a preset.

The first might be I only want to reset the toggle on preset A when I use preset D. In which case I would use the Set Toggle message in preset D targeting preset A In the message’s preset selection.

The second is where I want to reset the toggle for preset A every time I use it. Previously you would have to include a Set Toggle message in every other preset to do it. A royal pain:) Release 3.7.1 of the firmware introduced Bank Presets which can be accessed in the editor under Edit Bank. This will allow you to issue the Set Toggle message on entering the preset which means you only have to do it once.

I’d suggest you only set the toggle for the preset you want to control which in this instance would be preset A. Resetting the toggle for other presets might have unintended consequences.

Hope this helps.

*** If you want to tag me/anyone, can you precede the userid with @ That way the forum software will provide an alert which is useful. Thanks.

Sorry to have wasted your time @stdout. After a couple of hours working on this I just can't get it to work. At this point not even the toggling off and on works. I give up. I'm going to use a physical switch instead. Again, sorry for wasting your time. Clearly early onset dementia is taking its toll. :)

Sorry to have wasted your time @stdout. After a couple of hours working on this I just can't get it to work. At this point not even the toggling off and on works. I give up. I'm going to use a physical switch instead. Again, sorry for wasting your time. Clearly early onset dementia is taking its toll. :)
Sorry it didn’t work for you but if you have a solution that works, that’s what counts.

Something I’d note is that you will only see the effect of commands like Set Toggle that affect the state of the MC6 if you have exited Editor Mode.

Back
Top Bottom