MC-6. Small, fully programmable midi controller

Is anybody willing to share their programming of the Morningstar MC6 with me SOLELY for looping?

Here's what I currently have and it needs to be improved:

1A (Record) - CC Toggle, 28,127, 28, 0
1B - Play/Stop - CC Toggle, 29, 127, 29, 0
1C - Dub - CC Toggle, 21, 127, 31, 0
1D - Undo - CC MESSAGE, 121, 127, 0, 0
1E - Fwd/Rev - CC Toggle, 32, 127, 32, 0
1F - Speed - CC Toggle, 120, 127, 120, 0

Please make this setup better... and share with me?
Rock-on!
PS - Detailed rambling below - grin...

The behavior is not quite what I am looking for... I went over the AX8 manual, also using the MC6 editor...
My success has been that I've been able to get things going BUT not the way I really think is a good flow...
Just it's not quite there?...
My main complaints is that "play" worked fine, but I would hit the same cc message again and it wouldn't stop?
So... I changed it from a cc message to cc toggle and it started working.. however, often times I would have to hit the pedal twice because it was toggled the wrong way.. (messes up the timing completely, which renders it useless to me...)... I had the same issue with record...
SO
I had to create a play and stop button rather than a cc toggle (sucks up some serious button real-estate)..
etc... In any case, thanks for listening to my mide looper configuration mania... please use it, improve it, and share back with me?

@Guitarwildman For your Play/Stop, how about using a CC Toggle Hold Delay instead? That way, your loop will play when the switch is pressed down and released, and to stop (which is not as timing critical), you can just hold down the switch to send the second CC message.

Last edited:
Running two of these now with the new Morningstar switch expanders :D

IMG_8414.jpg

e7faf15c-c0ea-4369-95de-7553f594c724

@vairish do you use the two Morningstar boxes to control multiple things on the other end of that board?

Also: I have the same tin for picks. :)

Yup.

The lower box I use to control patch changes on my Axe FX. It also goes out to a MIDI effects loop box which controls how the signal is routed.

Bank 1: Axe FX into FRFR monitor speakers
Bank 2: Axe FX into EVH 5150 III / EVH 2x12 cab (4 cable method) (The MC6 also changes channel on this amp)
Bank 3: Axe FX into Fender Blues Deluxe (4 cable method)
Bank 4: Axe FX into FRFR monitor speakers (bass patches)
Bank 5: Axe FX into FRFR monitor speakers (acoustic patches)

This box also has a USB cable running into it so I can use it to control software amp sims too.

The top box I use for scene controls, looper controls and to display the Axe FX tuner. I'm gonna play around with it some more and see what else I can do with it (maybe use it to control my whammy pedal?)

@vairish splitting the preset and scene/CC controls across two controllers like that is a pretty cool idea. For people trying to get in to controllers at a lower price point, that essentially lets you get modular with your MIDI controller design -- you can buy it in pieces over time as you expand. Nice.

@vairish splitting the preset and scene/CC controls across two controllers like that is a pretty cool idea. For people trying to get in to controllers at a lower price point, that essentially lets you get modular with your MIDI controller design -- you can buy it in pieces over time as you expand. Nice.

Totally!

I've been playing around with this setup this morning and I found out I can change the bank on unit by sending a PC command on the other unit. This is awesome as it lets me do some fun stuff, for example...

Instead of having the single generic bank I've been using for scenes for all my presets (Scene1, Scene2 etc), I can make a custom bank for each preset I use that opens when I select that preset.

So for example on one MC6 when I select my clean patch, the other MC6 instead of displaying "Scene1, Scene2...." can display names like "Clean, Boost..." etc so I know what each scene is doing to that preset.

Then maybe for my lead tone I only need three scenes, so I can have a bank automatically open when I select my lead tone that gives me access to those three scenes, and then maybe have individual effects assigned to the other three buttons (reverb hold, octaver etc).

Can't wait to finish work today so I can spend a few hours in front of this :D

This product looks like a perfect suit for me.
I sold the MFC101 because it's too large and I ended up just using scenes and preset up/down.

I just wanted to check if I got this right because I just want to use onle one cable to the midi-controller to the axefx.

What type of gear do I need to power the MC6 from Axe?
Is it a 7/7 pin midi-cable? The only one I have found is Rocktron 7/7 Midi Cable

This product looks like a perfect suit for me.
I sold the MFC101 because it's too large and I ended up just using scenes and preset up/down.

I just wanted to check if I got this right because I just want to use onle one cable to the midi-controller to the axefx.

What type of gear do I need to power the MC6 from Axe?
Is it a 7/7 pin midi-cable? The only one I have found is Rocktron 7/7 Midi Cable

The MC6 can be phantom powered so the 7pin midi cable will work fine :)

Thanks for reply.

Final question: Do I need to plug an AC-adapter on the back of the AxeFX if so are an adapter included in the package of MC6?

When using the MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller over a 7-pin MIDI cable, connect the supplied AC Adapter to this jack to provide power to the floor unit via pins 6+7. Some other MIDI controllers also support the use of phantom power on pins 6+7.

So I just got the MC6 today, and I'm still waiting on a new midi cable to come in to test it with my Axe Fx II. I just wanted to check if I'm programming this correctly with the software since I'm very very new to midi programming. Doesn't seem too bad, but I have my Bank 1 as scene select and Tuner and my Bank 2 as the Looper Mode.

For bank 1 should the scenes be set to CC Message N1:34 V1:0 (for scene 1) N2:0 V2:0 CH:1 with the V1 going up for the correct scene?

For the tuner I see my Axe allows other midi controllers to activate it. Do I need to set the CC# to 15 or is selecting Axe Fx tuner enough?

For my Bank 2 Looper Mode is it best for everything to be CC Message and then N1 to be the corresponding value (example Record is 28) are there any other values I should be worried about from there?

Thanks for any confirmation and help.

So I just got the MC6 today, and I'm still waiting on a new midi cable to come in to test it with my Axe Fx II. I just wanted to check if I'm programming this correctly with the software since I'm very very new to midi programming. Doesn't seem too bad, but I have my Bank 1 as scene select and Tuner and my Bank 2 as the Looper Mode.

For bank 1 should the scenes be set to CC Message N1:34 V1:0 (for scene 1) N2:0 V2:0 CH:1 with the V1 going up for the correct scene?

For the tuner I see my Axe allows other midi controllers to activate it. Do I need to set the CC# to 15 or is selecting Axe Fx tuner enough?

For my Bank 2 Looper Mode is it best for everything to be CC Message and then N1 to be the corresponding value (example Record is 28) are there any other values I should be worried about from there?

Thanks for any confirmation and help.

All I know about the tuner possibilities is that you need two midi cables if you want the tuner window from the axe fx to show up on the MC-6

About the looper I use one button to turn record on and off but I have one button that is play and one that is stop.

It looks like what you write about the scenes is correct. Value 0 is scene 1 and so on. But this needs to be changed N1:34 V1:0 (for scene 1)
Next button N1:34 V1:1 CH:1 (for scene 2). Maybe you just wrote this wrong...

All I know about the tuner possibilities is that you need two midi cables if you want the tuner window from the axe fx to show up on the MC-6

About the looper I use one button to turn record on and off but I have one button that is play and one that is stop.

It looks like what you write about the scenes is correct. Value 0 is scene 1 and so on. But this needs to be changed N1:34 V1:0 (for scene 1)
Next button N1:34 V1:1 CH:1 (for scene 2). Maybe you just wrote this wrong...

Hey Max I got the scenes working no problem. My midi cable came in yesterday a little earlier than I thought. I'm having issue getting the looper to activate though. When I had my MFC holding down the reveal switch would put you into the looper mode and all the controls worked. I'm trying to figure out how to do that with the mc6 but it's been a no go. I'm corresponding with Morningstar now to see if we can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom