MC-6. Small, fully programmable midi controller

There's no auto-trigger function when the banks are changed. What's the intended use for that?

Probably me just being "esoteric". The MC6 would be a sidecar, not the main controller in my rig. As described before, I'd love to send commands to it to select banks based on what I'm doing elsewhere, so that the footswitch layout follows. That made me think it would be cool if it could optionally also send out the string of commands in the first preset switch (or a separate per-bank "auto" string of commands) when a bank is recalled from an external device. That essentially covers ground that the MIDI Solutions Event Processor handles: receive a program change and spit out a corresponding string of PCs and CCs.

My main desire is to resolve the deficiencies in the AX8's MIDI capabilities with as few extra devices as possible. Not your problem to solve. :)

You must be viewing it from a mobile device. I'm still optimizing the site so the store isn't in the mobile view yet (I'll add it later today). If you view it on a PC, you will find the store there. Feel free to drop me a msg if you have any questions ~[/QUOTE]

That correct. Looking at the site on my phone. I'll check it out on my PC. Thanks.
Great explanation @philipacamaniac ! I need to put that in my FAQ if you don't mind... :)

You must be viewing it from a mobile device. I'm still optimizing the site so the store isn't in the mobile view yet (I'll add it later today). If you view it on a PC, you will find the store there. Feel free to drop me a msg if you have any questions ~

See you got the mobile version working but I still don't see the option to pick the black faceplate shown in the pictures.

My MC6+ arrived and it is awesome. One question for those who know more about midi than I do (which is like everyone on the planet)--is there a way to control the AxeFX looper volume with the MC6?

There are times when I would like to adjust volume/set my loops deeper in the mix.

Yes you can control the volume. The easiest way would probably be to go to the looper and then go to the last page in the axe fx window. Standing on Value mix then hit enter. Select where you have your expression pedal as your Source...

Just sharing what we've been working on. Now all controllers are shipping with Phantom Power input on the Midi in and out pins. We've also been spending a lot of time working on a new firmware.. Here's just one of the new features:

Extend the controller with a low cost slave controller (It's just a T, R and T+R controller) and get 12 switches in total. You won't be able to see the 6 character labels but you can edit the preset's 16 character "full name" that appears when each switch is stepped (in the video, it is "Switch A", "Switch B" etc...

And editable names as well if you are using expression pedals.

We're just left with hooking this up with the web midi editor, and then we can start beta testing :)

This is pretty rad. Love the screen layout. I really wish there were something small like this but in a short and long form factor to fit right under my ax8. Similar to the Tech 21 midi moose but less bulky and with "scribble strip" lcd's over each button.

This is pretty rad. Love the screen layout. I really wish there were something small like this but in a short and long form factor to fit right under my ax8. Similar to the Tech 21 midi moose but less bulky and with "scribble strip" lcd's over each button.
mmgt 10 is probably the closest for now.

Just wondering, how many banks do you guys reckon is enough? Of course, more is always better... but realistically?

The current firmware has 64 banks. The new firmware will reduce it to 30 banks, to support all the new features and additional presets (6 switch controllers, local exp input presets etc, preset names, bank names etc). I am contemplating increasing the external aux switch capability from the planned 6 switches aux controller to allow in to use up to a 10 switch aux controller, but for hardware legacy issues, the number of banks has to go down further to 24 banks. Would that be a major drawback - giving up 40 banks (64 banks to 24 banks) to get up to 16 presets a bank, an increase from the 6 presets per bank in the current firmware?

You can actually just replace the EEPROM with a larger EEPROM chip to support more banks, but we'll leave that option out for now.

If you have, lets say 4 presets and within those preset you want to use scenes. Would you dedicate a switch to turn that particular preset in scene mode? Like the mfc. You just hit the reveal button. Can this be program to do that?

Sorry for the late response, Will there be any system real midi functions available on the MC-6, such as, Start, Pause, Continue and Stop.
Thinking about controlling a Beat Buddy along with the Axe-Fx delays and looper, etc.
For me just Start and Stop would be good. (System real time messages)

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response, Will there be any system real midi functions available on the MC-6, such as, Start, Pause, Continue and Stop.
Thinking about controlling a Beat Buddy along with the Axe-Fx delays and looper, etc.
For me just Start and Stop would be good. (System real time messages)

I'm not familiar with the beat buddy. Could you share how the Start and Stop message works with the beat buddy? Currently, the MC6 sends the midi clock signal with a start and stop. If there is a use case for having a seperate Start and Stop message, I'll add it in before the new firmware release this weekend :)

Having said that, the firmwares are always up-gradable and we're constantly thinking of new features to add! I just added in "conditional" type message for the next release (kinda works like an if-else) so you can have blocks of messages sent if switch is held down, or only when switch is released. Something like that. Details here (scroll all the way down): www.morningstarengineering.com/#!v2-midi-types/auhs1

I'm not familiar with the beat buddy. Could you share how the Start and Stop message works with the beat buddy? Currently, the MC6 sends the midi clock signal with a start and stop. If there is a use case for having a seperate Start and Stop message, I'll add it in before the new firmware release this weekend :)

Having said that, the firmwares are always up-gradable and we're constantly thinking of new features to add! I just added in "conditional" type message for the next release (kinda works like an if-else) so you can have blocks of messages sent if switch is held down, or only when switch is released. Something like that. Details here (scroll all the way down): www.morningstarengineering.com/#!v2-midi-types/auhs1

The Beat Buddy is like any other drum machine or sequencer, if you would like to start or stop with remote midi control you need to use these system real time messages, the drum machine provides continuous midi clock for syncing other devices . Using a looper is fun but when you can stop and start on the fly with a drum machine, you have the capabilities of a one man band.
The BeatBuddy excepts cc, note, clk, start and stop midi commands as a master or slave, and has become very popular at NAMM show and with guitar players. BeatBuddy Midi manual pdf available on line. MIDI firmware settings (1mb)
Thank you for your consideration

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom