MC-6. Small, fully programmable midi controller

Just saw this post.. Glad you guys like it!

When I was writing the firmware for the MC6, what I really wanted was a fully programmable midi controller that can cover all the use cases for all devices. It is still evolving and I'm constantly thinking of new features to add, or taking suggestions from users. I just added another feature in the firmware called the CC Hold Delay, which basically queues one or more CC Message and then sends it out when the switch is held down for 600ms. That came in as a suggestion via email and I thought i was a pretty good idea. It shipped with some of the newer controllers and I'm working to release the update.

If there are any questions, please feel free to email me, or just post them here!

Just saw this post.. Glad you guys like it!

When I was writing the firmware for the MC6, what I really wanted was a fully programmable midi controller that can cover all the use cases for all devices. It is still evolving and I'm constantly thinking of new features to add, or taking suggestions from users. I just added another feature in the firmware called the CC Hold Delay, which basically queues one or more CC Message and then sends it out when the switch is held down for 600ms. That came in as a suggestion via email and I thought i was a pretty good idea. It shipped with some of the newer controllers and I'm working to release the update.

If there are any questions, please feel free to email me, or just post them here!
you've just opened the floodgates ;) this seems like a great companion to the recently released AX8 and FX8 and i'm really excited to try one. i hope to create different configurations for different situations. can i save the settings and send them to others to load directly into their MC6/MC6+? i read there is a web editor recently added?

you've just opened the floodgates ;) this seems like a great companion to the recently released AX8 and FX8 and i'm really excited to try one. i hope to create different configurations for different situations. can i save the settings and send them to others to load directly into their MC6/MC6+? i read there is a web editor recently added?

It is definitely in the plans. The current Midi Editor is really something I hacked together (and breaking all programming rules, but definitely usable!). Will be spending some time working out a protocol that allows the user to save/load their presets (locally, or in the server maybe?) as well as simplifying midi editing for users.

Brilliant! Awesome controller. Wow.

Yup. It has quite a few command options you can assign to each button including:

PC message
CC Message
CC Toggle Value
CC Toggle Hold
CC Toggle Number
Note On
Note Off
Midi Clock
Midi Clock Tap
Smn BkUp
Smn BkDn
Smn Srl Up
Smn Srl Dn

Using CC Toggle Hold you can do a hold for X/Y.

Do I understand correctly that you are able to program totally different banks and use them simultaneously?

For example:

Bank 1: Presets
Bank 2: IA's
Bank 3: scenes
Bank 4: looper

So in practice during a set, I could:

select preset 2 on my axe-fx - change to bank 2 - hit the drive IA during a solo - switch to bank 4 - record a loop - switch to bank 3 - select a scene with a special sound - end the song -switch to bank 1 - select next preset - repeat?

Do I understand correctly that you are able to program totally different banks and use them simultaneously?

For example:

Bank 1: Presets
Bank 2: IA's
Bank 3: scenes
Bank 4: looper

So in practice during a set, I could:

select preset 2 on my axe-fx - change to bank 2 - hit the drive IA during a solo - switch to bank 4 - record a loop - switch to bank 3 - select a scene with a special sound - end the song -switch to bank 1 - select next preset - repeat?

Yes, you can program your midi parameters in different banks and then switch between banks to invoke different presets. There is a quick bank select mode (Switch D & E) that will allow you go view 6 banks on the screen (1-6, 7-12, 13-18 etc) and then quickly jump to that bank by pressing the corresponding switch.

Killer unit, keen to get one.

What would make it perfect is if the Axe could phantom power it.

Is that possible?

At this time, MC6 cannot be powered by phantom power (does not have a rectifier for the AC signal) . I'll look into adding it as an option in the near future!

But what if you fed the back of the Axe with a 9VDC power source? Would this work?

I getting close to pulling the trigger but would hold off if phantom power became an option in the future.

But what if you fed the back of the Axe with a 9VDC power source? Would this work?

I getting close to pulling the trigger but would hold off if phantom power became an option in the future.
Not sure the MIDI in supports it at this time.

That's a pretty simple fix though, you just replace the MIDI port with a 7 pin unit and route pins 6&7 to the DC requirements of the PCB on the MC-6. I've done it before with other MIDI pedals, but it would be nice to have this off the shelf.

Not to detract from this unit though, it's a killer idea and the programming flexibility is great.

It would be really great to have an expanded version that had two knobs that function as expression pots with two trs outs. This would make the perfect ax8 companion. Just to clarify they would not be midi knobs, just direct trs expression knobs that could be used with the expression pedal inputs and used for a global lead boost among other functions.

Just to clarify they would not be midi knobs, just direct trs expression knobs that could be used with the expression pedal inputs and used for a global lead boost among other functions.
why not make them "midi" knobs though? anything connected to the AX8 Pedal ports basically become "midi" knobs.

Back
Top Bottom