MC-6. Small, fully programmable midi controller

MC6 and AX8 both have USB type B connectors. If I get a B to B USB cable, will that provide power? Thanks.
No such luck.

Both the AX8 and MC6 are USB devices. For either device to talk USB, there has to be a USB host at the other end of the cable. And only hosts can provide power over USB. So not only will there be no power, but the two devices won't even be able to talk to each other.

That's why you almost never see a USB B to USB B connector. USB hosts use an A-type connector. USB devices use a B-type connector.

Another question—I’m a midi noob. I want to set switches to control effects on the AX8. I’ve managed to do it using CC toggle. But sometimes when I change presets I have to hit he switch twice to turn on the effect, phaser let’s say. Sometimes it seems I just have to hit the switch once. How do I get it to turn the effect on or off with just one stomp?

at quick glance here I'd say because you are switching presets the MC6 doesn't recall what effects are on/off at that point. its a limitation of one way direction. Mine behaves in this same way

Quick question... I'm considering an MC6 to control my (incoming!!! :D) XL+ rather than an MFC. I previously had an MFC-101 with my old Axe FX II and rather than using it to toggle individual blocks (stomps) I really only used it to bank up & down, select presets within banks and select scenes within a preset.

I see how the MC6 can be programmed to bank up & down and select presets, but is it possible to, say, select presets with a short press of a single button while selecting a scene (within the current active preset) with a long press? Or vice versa, of course...

I've searched this thread for instances of "scene" and gleaned some helpful info, and also searched for "long press" but haven't quite gotten the answer to my question. ;)

Thanks in advance! :)

Quick question... I'm considering an MC6 to control my (incoming!!! :D) XL+ rather than an MFC. I previously had an MFC-101 with my old Axe FX II and rather than using it to toggle individual blocks (stomps) I really only used it to bank up & down, select presets within banks and select scenes within a preset.

I see how the MC6 can be programmed to bank up & down and select presets, but is it possible to, say, select presets with a short press of a single button while selecting a scene (within the current active preset) with a long press? Or vice versa, of course...

I've searched this thread for instances of "scene" and gleaned some helpful info, and also searched for "long press" but haven't quite gotten the answer to my question. ;)

Thanks in advance! :)
Check out my post here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/how-i-use-my-ax8-presets.132676/#post-1570605
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

the MC6 is such an amazing and versatile midi pedal. Only thing I wish it could do is to scroll presets (AXE FX) up and down

This seems to indicate its possible for AX-8... Assume that also applies to Axe Fx.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ax8-and-morningstar-mc-6.129596/#post-1538263
yeah it seemed simple enough as a concept but the last time I looked into it after reading multiple threads and asking this question on Morningstar's forum there wasn't a real way to accomplish this. its been a few months since I tried...if anyone has had success here I'd love to see how they did it. I know you can obviously go to specific presets if you program it but didn't seem to be able to just decrease/increase presets on the Axe

Last edited:
Really liking this pedal. I've never fooled with MIDI before and it took a little reading, but I figured out how to make it do what I wanted. I have my most used presets on bank one, and on bank two I have CC toggles for drive, tremolo, rotary, reverb, and Amp X/Y (Y is lead setting). As a blues player, it is super cool to have Chicago - Texas - Swing - Swamp sounds at my command. Currently using an EV powered speaker which has plenty of volume for any blues bar I play. I can leave my valuable vintage amps at home to save wear and tear, and still get better tone than most players. Wish the speaker came in "Tweed" so the blues police don't arrest me! :cool:

It’s weird that this isn’t possible because I can do it on my 8 year old Liquid Foot Jr. I’m not a programmer but I believe the way around this is to make the bank size 0 or 1. Then when you bank up or down, you get a new preset. My LF Jr is set to 6 IA mode so 2 of the switches handle that preset scrolling up and down. The rest handle scenes and effect IAs with pressing and/or holding.
Maybe this information helps.

yeah it seemed simple enough as a concept but the last time I looked into it after reading multiple threads and asking this question on Morningstar's forum there wasn't a real way to accomplish this. its been a few months since I tried...if anyone has had success here I'd love to see how they did it. I know you can obviously go to specific presets if you program it but didn't seem to be able to just decrease/increase presets on the Axe

E9A18971-2E38-4919-9023-28E8A611F834.png

I think the value parameter of the PC command is what allows it? I FINALLY got around to programming my MC6, will be using it for the first time tonight. I’ll check out the PC scroll thing later this week.

Another question—I’m a midi noob. I want to set switches to control effects on the AX8. I’ve managed to do it using CC toggle. But sometimes when I change presets I have to hit he switch twice to turn on the effect, phaser let’s say. Sometimes it seems I just have to hit the switch once. How do I get it to turn the effect on or off with just one stomp?
similar problem for me

I'm using the "conditional" feature to designate a single button to toggle an effect on/off when pressed normally, and to toggle X/Y states when held down. After I toggle on/off of the effect, I then need to hold down once (with no impact) before I can the start toggling between X/Y states. And after toggling between X/Y, I need to again press once with no impact before I can do single presses to toggle the effect on/off. So basically once I've toggled one CC# iI always have to perform the other action twice to toggle the other CC#. I doubt I'm doing this right?

Last edited:
after watching the vid , especially around the 18 min mark where he talks about PC SCROLL UP/DWN, I tried recreating the settings with no luck. I'm not sure if it has something to do with another setting: midi thru/off or perhaps a 2 cable method as I"M just using a 7 pin powered Midi cable from the MC6 to the Axe FX. Also is this a general up / down increment or is it relative from a saved preset in the MC6 bank to another preset...if that makes sense. I'm going to give this another go over the weekend

after watching the vid , especially around the 18 min mark where he talks about PC SCROLL UP/DWN, I tried recreating the settings with no luck. I'm not sure if it has something to do with another setting: midi thru/off or perhaps a 2 cable method as I"M just using a 7 pin powered Midi cable from the MC6 to the Axe FX. Also is this a general up / down increment or is it relative from a saved preset in the MC6 bank to another preset...if that makes sense. I'm going to give this another go over the weekend
Can you list your program messages here for the button you want to do scroll_up

One less long cable... And long TRS cables are not an everyday item in most music shops.
Ah true. That allows a pedal board out front with a pedal attached to the mc6. I just set up bank 1 on my MC6 to do 3 scenes on the bottom row (clean, crunch, solo) and back row is cc toggles for chorus, delay x/y, and boost (drive 2). One thing I found helpful in the scene switches is to include a "clear tg" message in each one so that when a new scene gets selected only that button will blink and any blinking effects will also stop blinking (as I prefer to set my scenes to not keep effects on and just revert to original)

Back
Top Bottom