MC-6. Small, fully programmable midi controller

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.28.55 PM.png IMG_4590.jpg

This is how it appears on the editor and the edit screen on the MC6 itself. The only effect it is having is taking me to preset 001 everytime. No increase of anykind. I'm wondering if , in the video, he has this as a multiple message attached to an existing preset thats been programmed into the MC6 bank?...meaning does the Scroll UP/DWN need to be attached to an Axe FX preset as a sort of benchmark to go from and it can't just increase to whatever Axe Fx preset you happen to be on at any given time.

Yeah I can't figure out how to do it. Just resets it to preset 000. Seems like the video example works but it's not totally clear that he isn't really just flipping to preset 000 also, I don't think he hits the button more than once.

I don't know how the MC6 would know what preset the Axe is currently in so that it could increment it. I don't think the Axe has a midi cc for adding 1 (or more) to the current preset number. So my guess is that this isn't possible. But not 100% sure.

View attachment 44602 View attachment 44603

This is how it appears on the editor and the edit screen on the MC6 itself. The only effect it is having is taking me to preset 001 everytime. No increase of anykind. I'm wondering if , in the video, he has this as a multiple message attached to an existing preset thats been programmed into the MC6 bank?...meaning does the Scroll UP/DWN need to be attached to an Axe FX preset as a sort of benchmark to go from and it can't just increase to whatever Axe Fx preset you happen to be on at any given time.

Try connecting the MC6 via USB and then going to www.midimonitor.com to see what values are coming from the MC6. The MC6 should be sending an incremental PCs referenced by an internal counter.

first two lines are me selecting a preset for the Axe Fx
last two lines are when i select the switch on the MC6 for Increment +1 (PC Scroll Up)

Would love some help troubleshooting this!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 17.21.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 17.21.22 PM.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 26
Is there a “delay” when pressing a switch? It feels like I press a switch and then the midi message gets sent maybe 50-100ms later? I probably have something set up wrong, or is it waiting to see if I hold the switch? I’m trying to loop with the MC6 and the Axe and it doesn’t record exactly when I press it. Any thoughts? I don’t have any hold functions set.

Is there a “delay” when pressing a switch? It feels like I press a switch and then the midi message gets sent maybe 50-100ms later? I probably have something set up wrong, or is it waiting to see if I hold the switch? I’m trying to loop with the MC6 and the Axe and it doesn’t record exactly when I press it. Any thoughts? I don’t have any hold functions set.

Theres an option to send the commands quickly

v2.5 release notes https://github.com/Morningstar-Engineering/MC6-Midi-Controller/releases
  1. Prime
  2. For time sensitive applications such as starting and over-dubbing loopers, put this message first, and then your CC message for the looper after. The Prime message will put the MC6 in a "preparation" state with a specific display with a SEND and CANCEL option. Stepping on the SEND button will immediately send the the remaining messages without delay, while pressing CANCEL will exit the Prime mode.
    1. Looper Mode
    2. Select if you want to engage Looper Mode. In Looper Mode, switch reads are kept to the bare minimum, which will make it almost impossible to change banks or carry out any other functions with dual switch presses. However, the upside is that you can send your messages out immediately for time-sensitive applications, such as controlling the looper. When Looper Mode is set to Off, the MC6 reverts back to its original state.
    • When using looper mode, make sure your MC6 is set up so that you can always disable the Looper mode. If you, while in Looper Mode, jump to another bank that does not have a Looper Mode preset (Using a Set Bank or Bank Up/Down message), it'll be impossible to turn off Looper Mode and you will need to restart your MC6.

Theres an option to send the commands quickly

v2.5 release notes https://github.com/Morningstar-Engineering/MC6-Midi-Controller/releases
  1. Prime
  2. For time sensitive applications such as starting and over-dubbing loopers, put this message first, and then your CC message for the looper after. The Prime message will put the MC6 in a "preparation" state with a specific display with a SEND and CANCEL option. Stepping on the SEND button will immediately send the the remaining messages without delay, while pressing CANCEL will exit the Prime mode.
    1. Looper Mode
    2. Select if you want to engage Looper Mode. In Looper Mode, switch reads are kept to the bare minimum, which will make it almost impossible to change banks or carry out any other functions with dual switch presses. However, the upside is that you can send your messages out immediately for time-sensitive applications, such as controlling the looper. When Looper Mode is set to Off, the MC6 reverts back to its original state.
    • When using looper mode, make sure your MC6 is set up so that you can always disable the Looper mode. If you, while in Looper Mode, jump to another bank that does not have a Looper Mode preset (Using a Set Bank or Bank Up/Down message), it'll be impossible to turn off Looper Mode and you will need to restart your MC6.
hmm, are these in the Desktop editor? seems like no?

edit - yeah it's not there.

hmm, these 2 solutions don't really help, or at least i don't understand them. Prime makes me have to press a switch twice. Looper Mode brings up "Bank Lock Off/On" which i have no idea what that means.

i just need some switches to send immediately for Rec, Play, and Once, and i'd prefer to not have to change Banks and then also hit Looper Mode, and then hit Play, etc. hmm...

edit 2 - on the documentation, instead of Looper Mode that appears on the device itself, we see "Arm" mode:

Arm mode will bring up a screen which allows you to select the bank lock settings on the MC6. When the bank lock is enabled, the delay between switch reads will go to zero, which means that it is impossible to change banks using dual switch presses. This is useful if you want to arm your device to control time sensitive devices such as loopers. Be sure to plan ahead and have the preset ready so you can disarm if you change banks using other modes besides dual switch presses.

so this explains the "Bank Lock" message i see. eh this is still very slow. i need to loop quickly and get to other Banks to switch sounds... i guess i'll mess around with this, but it's still not what i'd like.

Last edited:
hmm, are these in the Desktop editor? seems like no?

edit - yeah it's not there.

hmm, these 2 solutions don't really help, or at least i don't understand them. Prime makes me have to press a switch twice. Looper Mode brings up "Bank Lock Off/On" which i have no idea what that means.

i just need some switches to send immediately for Rec, Play, and Once, and i'd prefer to not have to change Banks and then also hit Looper Mode, and then hit Play, etc. hmm...

edit 2 - on the documentation, instead of Looper Mode that appears on the device itself, we see "Arm" mode:

Arm mode will bring up a screen which allows you to select the bank lock settings on the MC6. When the bank lock is enabled, the delay between switch reads will go to zero, which means that it is impossible to change banks using dual switch presses. This is useful if you want to arm your device to control time sensitive devices such as loopers. Be sure to plan ahead and have the preset ready so you can disarm if you change banks using other modes besides dual switch presses.

so this explains the "Bank Lock" message i see. eh this is still very slow. i need to loop quickly and get to other Banks to switch sounds... i guess i'll mess around with this, but it's still not what i'd like.

You could adjust the switch sensitivity (main config menu) to the highest setting (5). This will reduce the delay to a bare minimum.

Alternatively, you could use the Looper mode, and have a dedicated "Bank change Mode" preset copied to all banks. So once the device is in looper mode, you can use the bank change mode preset to change banks.

I’m thinking about looper mode as well, and I’m wondering if it’s just easier to have another MC6 dedicated to just looper functions period. Wondering if this is the most “streamlined” option for the looper.

I’m thinking about looper mode as well, and I’m wondering if it’s just easier to have another MC6 dedicated to just looper functions period. Wondering if this is the most “streamlined” option for the looper.

How about an external aux switch just to do the aux stuff like enter/exit looper mode, change banks etc. Of course if you need another MC6 I'm not going to discourage that ;)

How about an external aux switch just to do the aux stuff like enter/exit looper mode, change banks etc. Of course if you need another MC6 I'm not going to discourage that ;)

James, can one set up an external foot-switch to bring up a bank dedicated to just the looper functions on an Pigtronix Infinity looper, regardless of what other current MC6 bank we are on? Plus, can we tap that same external switch again to return to whatever was the last bank on the MC6 we were just on?

James, can one set up an external foot-switch to bring up a bank dedicated to just the looper functions on an Pigtronix Infinity looper, regardless of what other current MC6 bank we are on? Plus, can we tap that same external switch again to return to whatever was the last bank on the MC6 we were just on?

Sure, just have that aux preset be set to Set Bank, to change bank to the looper bank. And then the same preset in the looper bank to Set Bank (to last used bank or a specific bank number) to jump back or to any other bank. There's an option for last used bank.

Sure, just have that aux preset be set to Set Bank, to change bank to the looper bank. And then the same preset in the looper bank to Set Bank (to last used bank or a specific bank number) to jump back or to any other bank. There's an option for last used bank.

Not sure what preset to assign to the aux switch for the looper. Would I add the looper preset to each bank? In other words:

Bank 1: (12 presets total)
MC6 Presets 1-5 (A-F) are Axefx Scenes 1-5
MC6 Preset 6 is toggle to MC6 Presets 7-12 (G-L)
MC6 Presets 7-10 are assigned Axefx Presets/Patches
MC6 Preset 11 is Infinity looper
MC6 Preset 12 is toggle back to scenes 1-5

note: MC6 Preset 11 is connected to the external switch to automatically pull up the looper commands/looper presets

Bank 5: reserved for looper
MC6 Presets 1-5 (A-F) are play loop 1, play loop 2, stop/undo, reverse, etc.

Is this what you are recommending?

Not sure what preset to assign to the aux switch for the looper. Would I add the looper preset to each bank? In other words:

Bank 1: (12 presets total)
MC6 Presets 1-5 (A-F) are Axefx Scenes 1-5
MC6 Preset 6 is toggle to MC6 Presets 7-12 (G-L)
MC6 Presets 7-10 are assigned Axefx Presets/Patches
MC6 Preset 11 is Infinity looper
MC6 Preset 12 is toggle back to scenes 1-5

note: MC6 Preset 11 is connected to the external switch to automatically pull up the looper commands/looper presets

Bank 5: reserved for looper
MC6 Presets 1-5 (A-F) are play loop 1, play loop 2, stop/undo, reverse, etc.

Is this what you are recommending?

Sounds like it will work . I would really just recommend going with what you're most comfortable with though :p

The MC6 MKII will be available for pre-order tomorrow!

ejwpdt.jpg

or2xro.png

More info here if anyone is interested to find out more:
https://www.morningstarfx.com/single-post/2018/04/03/MC6-MKII-Preorder
https://www.morningstarfx.com/single-post/2018/04/01/MC6-MKII-Production-Update

I have one of the new MC6 MkII units with firmware 3.0.0 and I can’t seem to find the conditional options to allow a short press to do a function and a press hold to perform a different function. I am a midi noob without a doubt, so hopefully someone can chime in to help. I do have switches setup for preset+, preset-, scene+ and scene- working beautifully, as well as turning blocks on/off! It is a pretty sweet little unit!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom