Mayones Regius 7 - should I?

don_joe

Experienced
This post in the "Suhr vs PRS vs" thread:

The last couple of years I have been getting into Polish guitars. Mayones, Ran and Skervesen. I am lucky enough to own one of each (still paying them off lol) and they are all OUTSTANDING.

https://mayones.com/guitars/
http://ranguitars.com/
https://skervesen.eu/

...made me check these brands and I got a serious GAS for Mayones Regius 7 Core Classic. I just want to ask, is there a reason not to buy this one? I'm a pretty impulsive buyer and I buy based on my gut feeling before I try the goods (I bought Axe FX the same way). I like the design and I think I like these Seymour Duncan pickups (JB 7 bridge and Jazz neck), JB sounds so raw and juicy to me. Since I'm not only chasing djent tones, it should be a one guitar for all purposes. I need this alnico texture but also tightness and punch from a guitar.

What's your experience with this guitar? Does JB 7 have a bit of a flubby low end or is there a good reason why they put exactly this pickup in this guitar? Is it worth the price? Is it versatile enough?

Thanks.

I have a Duvell 7 so I don’t have any experience with the Regius but it is one of their most popular models. The JB Jazz combo is a tried and tested standard so I think you will be ok there. It’s all a matter of preference though right? I think @DropTheSun has a Regius.

I put Lundgren M7’s in mine. The wiring and solder job was outstanding making the job of swapping the pups easy.

I think you would be super happy with this guitar. I got mine from Music Store Live. They knocked 10% off the listed price with free shipping. I’ve also had good luck with Red Dragon Guitars and The Music Zoo.

Post pics when you get it.

...made me check these brands and I got a serious GAS for Mayones Regius 7 Core Classic. I just want to ask, is there a reason not to buy this one? I'm a pretty impulsive buyer and I buy based on my gut feeling before I try the goods (I bought Axe FX the same way). I like the design and I think I like these Seymour Duncan pickups (JB 7 bridge and Jazz neck), JB sounds so raw and juicy to me. Since I'm not only chasing djent tones, it should be a one guitar for all purposes. I need this alnico texture but also tightness and punch from a guitar.

What's your experience with this guitar? Does JB 7 have a bit of a flubby low end or is there a good reason why they put exactly this pickup in this guitar? Is it worth the price? Is it versatile enough?

Thanks.
Wow... Oddly I missed that reply to my thread as well as a bunch of others. Glad I saw your post here.

I really like the looks of the Setius but I'd need a Floyd Rose bridge to go after one. They actually remind me a lot of the Ibanez S-Series guitars I already use.

You will not regret it. I have a baritone 7 string duvell and it is by far the best guitar I own. This is coming from someone who owns a custom shop les paul, a strandberg, several prestiges, a jem, and a custom shop ESP. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

...made me check these brands and I got a serious GAS for Mayones Regius 7 Core Classic. I just want to ask, is there a reason not to buy this one? I'm a pretty impulsive buyer and I buy based on my gut feeling before I try the goods (I bought Axe FX the same way).

Resale value? I get the impression that no matter how well, or even better, boutique guitars are made, they don't hold their resale value as well as the more established brands. If that is something you like to factor in your considerations.

I have a Duvell 7 so I don’t have any experience with the Regius but it is one of their most popular models. The JB Jazz combo is a tried and tested standard so I think you will be ok there. It’s all a matter of preference though right? I think @DropTheSun has a Regius.

I put Lundgren M7’s in mine. The wiring and solder job was outstanding making the job of swapping the pups easy.

I think you would be super happy with this guitar. I got mine from Music Store Live. They knocked 10% off the listed price with free shipping. I’ve also had good luck with Red Dragon Guitars and The Music Zoo.

Post pics when you get it.

The man who's post I've quoted himself...If I buy it, you will be the one to blame. :)

Thanks, I'll check these Dragon, Zoo and the Lundgren pup later, when I come home. It could also take some time until I post some pics. Now I have to deal with the next level, my wife. I'll have to think up a few promises to throw them in the bargain.

Thanks again.

You will not regret it. I have a baritone 7 string duvell and it is by far the best guitar I own. This is coming from someone who owns a custom shop les paul, a strandberg, several prestiges, a jem, and a custom shop ESP. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

Thanks. I'm just curious, what is it that makes this guitar better than the other ones?

Resale value? I get the impression that no matter how well, or even better, boutique guitars are made, they don't hold their resale value as well as the more established brands. If that is something you like to factor in your considerations.

Thanks for the tip. To be honest, I checked the resale market here and I can't find many that are for resale. It might be that it is a keeper. I also rarely sell my stuff. If it works for me, it stays with me. Unless if there will ever be any financial reason. But I don't want to think that far. I would also buy a plain black guitar without any special finish or colour options. I think you can always find a buyer for such a classical looking guitar if it sounds right. Thanks anyway.

I have a Reverb feed that I check and the resale value seems to be about 80% of what you paid. It’s a tough market to resell in because of the original high price.

True... But discontinued. :(

Not Setius...it's Regius Pro that I was thinking of. :) Maybe you don't like it as much as Setius though. Visually it's just a different headstock. It's a neck through instead of bolt-on. Same pups. The wood combination is a probably the reason why it's more expensive, it should be top quality and playability.

What's your favourite at the moment? Still considering Suhr or did your quest take you further?

Not Setius...it's Regius Pro that I was thinking of. :) Maybe you don't like it as much as Setius though. Visually it's just a different headstock. It's a neck through instead of bolt-on. Same pups. The wood combination is a probably the reason why it's more expensive, it should be top quality and playability.

What's your favourite at the moment? Still considering Suhr or did your quest take you further?
Nice... I was looking at the Setius.

I actually prefer the Regius look more, although I'm a fan of bolt on neck guitars.

As of right now, I'm leaning Suhr but I was also thinking about a Tom Anderson, and Cliff's post about his new Anderson made me look around.

I found a relatively local store with a used Drop Top HSS in purple quilt with a Floyd Rose, as well as another one in deep blue with a traditional trem. They also have a Suhr Modern HSH... So, I'm hoping to take a little trip this weekend ;)

Back
Top Bottom