Mayer used an Axe-FX 3 for his new album

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s unsurprising that anyone would use a modeler these days. There’s a local studio by me which has all sorts of stupid amps. Like a ken fisher trainwreck, and an legit dumble ODS, and pretty much any other amp you can think of. They also have an axe fx 3, and guess what gets used the most for recording sessions. Makes me wonder why they have all those other crazy amps…

It’s unsurprising that anyone would use a modeler these days. There’s a local studio by me which has all sorts of stupid amps. Like a ken fisher trainwreck, and an legit dumble ODS, and pretty much any other amp you can think of. They also have an axe fx 3, and guess what gets used the most for recording sessions. Makes me wonder why they have all those other crazy amps…
Hm .
if you analyse what’s going on in the last decade it’s not really like that . I am talking about metal in this one .
in the « axe 2 days », modern djent metal bands , record with it . Then a part move to kemper and then … are back recording with tube amps . I have a lot of examples . Even latest fear factory album is recorded with a modded jcm800 after he use his kemper in other records . « famous » YouTuber like rabea, ola etc play a lot with tube amps in their video. I mean they know the axe 3, but are like children when they unboxing a new head . Like they have fun with modelers and well go back to the real stuff … it’s pretty human to go 2 step up with modern things, listening to mp3, and then going back buying vinyls .
imagine a guitar doing it all (like the variax ) Will I prefer it better than having 10 guitars at home ? There is a mojo with the real stuff, a history.
I play more with my axe than my tube head and probably will record my new album with the axe. But no … the amps are not over .
if I go to a studio, I want to see the real stuff . That’s the difference between a home studio that I have, and a place where your record will sound good 30 years after . Since now, the best sounding records are done in studios I will never go cause they are too much expensive, but I can’t name a record done with a modeler that is a « sounding reference » . Sorry for my poor English

Hm .
if you analyse what’s going on in the last decade it’s not really like that . I am talking about metal in this one .
in the « axe 2 days », modern djent metal bands , record with it . Then a part move to kemper and then … are back recording with tube amps . I have a lot of examples . Even latest fear factory album is recorded with a modded jcm800 after he use his kemper in other records . « famous » YouTuber like rabea, ola etc play a lot with tube amps in their video. I mean they know the axe 3, but are like children when they unboxing a new head . Like they have fun with modelers and well go back to the real stuff … it’s pretty human to go 2 step up with modern things, listening to mp3, and then going back buying vinyls .
imagine a guitar doing it all (like the variax ) Will I prefer it better than having 10 guitars at home ? There is a mojo with the real stuff, a history.
I play more with my axe than my tube head and probably will record my new album with the axe. But no … the amps are not over .
if I go to a studio, I want to see the real stuff . That’s the difference between a home studio that I have, and a place where your record will sound good 30 years after . Since now, the best sounding records are done in studios I will never go cause they are too much expensive, but I can’t name a record done with a modeler that is a « sounding reference » . Sorry for my poor English
I wasn’t saying tube amps are dead. I have several high end custom amps that aren’t modeled in the Axe fx that I still use on recordings regularly. I’m only saying that when you get into a studio, unless it’s a realllllyyy nice one (and even then) the modeler is often the choice.

I remember when I did my first REAL session (song got bought by the NFL for placement). I was super excited, brought my big ole pedalboard, and my custom amp, unloaded it all …and the producer handed me a quarter inch and told me I wouldn’t be using it. I had to record direct through guitar rig or something terrible and he messed with it later. Not gonna lie, I was slightly butthurt, but that’s the way a lot of the subsequent sessions have gone. Now I just bring my own modeler so I can at least be happy with the sound and feel.

I wasn’t saying tube amps are dead. I have several high end custom amps that aren’t modeled in the Axe fx that I still use on recordings regularly. I’m only saying that when you get into a studio, unless it’s a realllllyyy nice one (and even then) the modeler is often the choice.

I remember when I did my first REAL session (song got bought by the NFL for placement). I was super excited, brought my big ole pedalboard, and my custom amp, unloaded it all …and the producer handed me a quarter inch and told me I wouldn’t be using it. I had to record direct through guitar rig or something terrible and he messed with it later. Not gonna lie, I was slightly butthurt, but that’s the way a lot of the subsequent sessions have gone. Now I just bring my own modeler so I can at least be happy with the sound and feel.
I did a "hired gun" session last summer at a studio I hadn't been to before. I took my Axe-Fx and foot controllers. We did a couple of songs with multiple guitar tracks. The producer/engineer was a tube amp guy, but was familiar with Fractal products, since Larry Mitchell (and probably others) had used them in that studio before.

I used my Fractal rig for all of the tracks except one. On that track, the producer was looking for a specific Marshall sound, so instead of trying to dial it on one the Axe-Fx, he had me plug into one of the vintage Marshall rigs he had in the iso room and he had the tone he wanted within a minute or two. I think he was expecting me to be butthurt about not using my rig for that track, but I was fine with the idea. (That's the first time I've played through a real amp in years, so I kind of enjoyed the novelty of the whole thing.)

Same here don’t worry . Everyone got their tastes, but for me he plays music for 14 yo girls . Here only girls like him 😅. I ve listen a couple track , he play good but nothing’s special, the song from SNOB rock (lol) sound like a diluted dire strait (wild blue if I remember ) . Now I need to run before showing the gigs in bars that I was doing at 14 .
this guy is pretentious and gives me zero emotions and don’t impress me at all . Tastes like they say .
Please learn to play and simultaneously sing Neon... I'll wait.

If you actually listened to the music you'd realize many songs have quite a lot going on that is more complex than casual listening reveals.

The Sob Rock album is intentionally 80s-toned - that's the concept of the album. There are several tracks that lean towards Knopfler quite nicely.

But as you say, it's a matter of taste...

Please learn to play and simultaneously sing Neon... I'll wait.

If you actually listened to the music you'd realize many songs have quite a lot going on that is more complex than casual listening reveals.

The Sob Rock album is intentionally 80s-toned - that's the concept of the album. There are several tracks that lean towards Knopfler quite nicely.

But as you say, it's a matter of taste...
I'm not really into John's music but that song f-ing rules. That riff is crazy.

Seriously I am not saying he plays bad . But to me his music is very soft and cheesy . He is not a Stevie ray Vaughan or …that’s not rock at all. He don’t have special guitar skills that make him a flag ship of nowadays guitar player like many person say. I have watch some interviews, he talk like he is … don’t know … that’s not Steve vai you know 😅 Just hit « fingerstyle acoustic » in YouTube and you have hundreds of young guys doing crazy things in tapping and open tuning with a folk guitar (if we stay in this « pop » approach) . But yeah respect, if you guys enjoy his music that’s nice. Just talking . He is not god for everyone

Never been a fan of Mayer's music, and personally, I don't like his voice. The latest album has a couple of songs I like, though I'd prefer someone else singing them.

Never been a fan of Mayer's music, and personally, I don't like his voice. The latest album has a couple of songs I like, though I'd prefer someone else singing
The creative process is so fragile. And it takes a lot of courage to put your music out there no matter how big a star you are or not. Yes we
can disagree about the firmware @My name is mud and song list in the fc 12 (or whatever it was) @Jason Scott but why are musicians tearing down other musicians? So what if they are making more money, are more famous or sleeping with better looking partners than the rest of us? We should be standing together when it comes to our art and music! I think there are a lot of assholes here but I go out of my way to listen to all the recordings that are posted and like them because I value and appreciate the courage it takes to make ones self vulnerable and put your creative work out there! Totally dickish to put down another artist for their art!
Edit - I may have done it once to Metallica. I apologize.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom