Mayer through the III

You john mayer is an amazing guitarist with amazing tone and feel. He can really sing too but all that legendary talent is utterly wasted on a lot of really dull empty ballads.
I just find it so frustrating as it feels like he’s just throwing it all away.

"I'm playing through a Fractal..."

Mmm. Yea, John. Yea. :D

Someone on reddit's r/guitar referred to it as a "bedroom amp, isn't that neat?" LOL

Whole video is an education, man.

I don't think a lot of people realize what they just got here...close to a private lesson and something we would have never had a chance to experience growing up without the internet. What an amazing way to learn and get some insight into how he thinks.

well he's no john m... wait.

in your defense... I grew up in the late 80s and 'did not like clapton' (hold yer horses...). later in life heard lay down sally and was and am floored. Long story long, timing can be everything.

in summary... my axefx does not sound at all like john mayer's so pretty sure his is customized by his techs (hehe).
Replace Lay Down Sally with Forever Man and we have a winner! Mayer is hilarious and a killer player.

I'm wondering if what he hears when he describes the "whoosh" would be what I hear when I describe "note bloom" ?

If that's it ..., then for me it's model dependent just like in the analog world .... Some amps 'bloom' a lot and some just don't !

Well, he does make his living playing guitar and not sitting in a bedroom/basement twiddling for tones.

Amp modelers don’t quite understand two [other] things: they don’t understand the impulse of the note, so they don’t quite get the contact with the string correct - the way a tube goes ‘whoosh’; what I call the ‘wapoosh’ of the note. Amp modelers don’t yet know how to take a note and squeeze it the right way and send it out.

Second thing is, there’s a lot of harmonic artefacting taking place if you play more than one string at the same time.

Like if you do one of those bends where you’re playing three notes at once - you’re holding two, you’re bending the third one - it just goes [makes digital noise] on top of it because it doesn’t quite understand how to translate all that: three different notes of harmonic information, it just freaks out. But it’s pretty close - it’s not bad!

Cannot argue his points ....

The best advice that I've ever heard is, "If you get a good tone, you get a good tone." That hasn't stopped me from spending tens of thousands of dollars on gear, but if the assertion being questioned here is that you can't get a good, real tone out of the Axe FX III, I think we need to reexamine what's important.

Well, he does make his living playing guitar and not sitting in a bedroom/basement twiddling for tones.

Cannot argue his points ....

If anything, you could argue the relevance of his opinions. Do modelers squeeze a note like a $20,000 Dumble? Probably not. Is that something that matters to the vast majority of both listeners and players? Probably not. It's kind of like those old stories of Eric Johnson being able to hear the difference between battery brands. There's a bit of OCD that seems to go on with some of those gearheads who make their living playing guitar and spend all of their time in a studio (bedroom/basement) experimenting with every piece of gear they have access to and noticing every subtle nuance.

At the end of the day they absolutely should use whatever they feel best connects them to the instrument and translates what they hear in their head. Fortunately for the likes of Mayer, no piece of gear is out of budget.

You john mayer is an amazing guitarist with amazing tone and feel. He can really sing too but all that legendary talent is utterly wasted on a lot of really dull empty ballads.
I just find it so frustrating as it feels like he’s just throwing it all away.
Why? Because it's not all blazing guns?

I personally very much enjoy his ballads, and everyone has different tastes.

In fact, I think some of his coolest lines and phrases are little bits of ear candy sprinkled into his ballads.

Why? Because it's not all blazing guns?

I personally very much enjoy his ballads, and everyone has different tastes.

In fact, I think some of his coolest lines and phrases are little bits of ear candy sprinkled into his ballads.

Pretty much.

There are so many talented guitarists with great tone, feel, and chops all over social media. Unfortunately, you can count how many of them that can write a great song on one hand. Even if you're missing a couple fingers.

I'd make the argument that he's one that HASN'T utterly wasted his talent.

There are so many talented guitarists with great tone, feel, and chops all over social media. Unfortunately, you can count how many of them can write a great song on one hand.

Great is such a subjective term. For me, Heartbreak Warfare is the only song I, personally, liked out of Mayer's entire catalog. If he wrote more songs in that genre and of that caliber, I'd be a fan.

Great is such a subjective term. For me, Heartbreak Warfare is the only song I, personally, liked out of Mayer's entire catalog. If he wrote more songs in that genre and of that caliber, I'd be a fan.

I agree. My comment wasn't so much about people liking his musical output or being a fan. More that he's managed to carve out a very successful career during a time where guitar based music has become more and more of a niche thing. Don't have to enjoy any of it, but hardly "utterly wasted" talent.

I'm mainly a metal guy, so while I am not terribly familiar with all of JM's work, I haven't heard anything from him that I didn't enjoy listening to. I think the most eye opening thing for me about this video he posted is just how relevant he is today within the guitar community. Guy posted a 45 minute video, made maybe 30 seconds worth of comments about modelers and literally every guitar related page I follow (even ones I don't but get suggested in my feed) runs with it. Pretty crazy

Guy posted a 45 minute video, made maybe 30 seconds worth of comments about modelers and literally every guitar related page I follow (even ones I don't but get suggested in my feed) runs with it. Pretty crazy

I suspect it's because modeling vs. tube amps is a pretty hot topic in guitar circles these days, not to mention he is known for being a tone aficionado.

I'm wondering if what he hears when he describes the "whoosh" would be what I hear when I describe "note bloom" ?

If that's it ..., then for me it's model dependent just like in the analog world .... Some amps 'bloom' a lot and some just don't !

Hmm ... I think I'm going to dig into this ^ with 9.01 on the weekend. List some of the Fractal models that you think have that responsive "bloom." :)

I like his playing, singing, songwriting. He’s much better than I gave him credit for being years back. I wouldn’t lose sleep over internet comments though. If he said he was playing through the Dumble people would have been raving about the awesome tone only possible with the Holy Grail. It is what it is. Sounds pretty present to me.

Back
Top Bottom