Maybe you can help?

Cliff, what would you actually say are good monitors? I was on a budget when I bought mine and went with Yamaha HS80M, and I must say I like them... are they in your opinion also nut-kicking territory...?

i think the main concept is that running top-of-the-line gear through one of the cheapest options for speakers available may not let the top-of-the-line quality shine through.

over the years, people have said how they "scraped money together" to afford the axe-fx, then run it through $100 speakers and say it doesn't sound any better than anything else they've used.

i don't think people need $10,000 speakers at all, but using some of the least expensive gear in tandem with the axe will definitely limit the axe's potential.

i think the main concept is that running top-of-the-line gear through one of the cheapest options for speakers available may not let the top-of-the-line quality shine through.

I agree, any system is only as good as its weakest link.

over the years, people have said how they "scraped money together" to afford the axe-fx, then run it through $100 speakers and say it doesn't sound any better than anything else they've used.

i don't think people need $10,000 speakers at all, but using some of the least expensive gear in tandem with the axe will definitely limit the axe's potential.

The Yammies I use were only 500 Euros (for the pair!), but I definitely hear the difference between the Axe Fx and the plugins I have like STL Tonality or Scuffham S-Gear. They are certainly not comparable to Event Opals, but still a totally different story from a US$100 pair of Alesis monitors with 3'' speaker. When bought them, the Axe II was not even out, I was still using NI Guitar Rig (the one with the black hardware foot controller / interface).

If somebody is on a budget I think they are one of the best choices there are. I listened to a lot of monitors at the local dealer when I bought them, he had KRKs, Yamahas, JBLs, Genelecs, Presonus, etc. and the HS80M beat them all up to double their price. They are not perfectly neutral of course, but relatively detailed and open sounding. I got used to them over the years and they work for me.

I tried to buy a pair in 2016 but availability was zip/zero/nothing/nada. :(
To the best of my knowledge, Event Electronics ceased production in 2016. The last post on their Facebook page was almost two years ago. I hope my ASP8's don't quit on me. :(

The Yammies I use were only 500 Euros (for the pair!), but I definitely hear the difference between the Axe Fx and the plugins I have like STL Tonality or Scuffham S-Gear. They are certainly not comparable to Event Opals, but still a totally different story from a US$100 pair of Alesis monitors with 3'' speaker. When bought them, the Axe II was not even out, I was still using NI Guitar Rig (the one with the black hardware foot controller / interface).

If somebody is on a budget I think they are one of the best choices there are. I listened to a lot of monitors at the local dealer when I bought them, he had KRKs, Yamahas, JBLs, Genelecs, Presonus, etc. and the HS80M beat them all up to double their price. They are not perfectly neutral of course, but relatively detailed and open sounding. I got used to them over the years and they work for me.
We have a pair of HS8's at the office and they're pretty good for the price. The best monitors I've heard are Dynaudio but I think they were $20K each. The next best were a pair of Genelec's at Zappa's studio. My Event Opals are very good but they were around $2K ea. Under $1000 there are a lot of monitors and most of them suck. There are a few good ones though. If I had unlimited funds I'd probably get some ATCs.

Despite what others have said, my Rokit 5s and 10s sub have been good to me, and certainly haven't made me feel like parting with the Axe.

I'm relying on @austinbuddy's tones as a basis for all the presets I'm making, so hopefully that will somewhat guard against any curve the Rokit's might have. I haven't used the Axe Fx in a live band situation yet - just in an acoustic duo a couple of times, so I suppose I might have some adjusting to do when I go live after the FC-12 is shipped.

I have a Xitone on backorder from @MicFarlow as well, so that will give me another reference point. After all the outlay this year moving into the modeling world, It's unlikely that I'll be upgrading my studio monitors for a while - unless @Admin M@ want's to pay me a visit, give my ear a whack, then talk sweetly into my wives about the need for an upgrade...

Please do not tag everyone.

I just got a pair of Adam A7x monitors bundled with cables and ISO mounts for $1500. I think they are probably all the monitor I really need. It was very eye opening in that I could hear the compression and type of reverb and delays revealed where it was buried before in albums. I’ve haven’t spent much time with them but coming from JBL305’s it’s like trying on prescription glasses for the first time. “Oh look. There are leaves on those trees!”

Back
Top Bottom