Maybe quite handy after all .Matched home-built amp

wow those are some hella tasty tones :)
all my favs too - EL84s, G12's, buttery.....what's NOT to like? :D

I'm guessing the first is the axe?

Yes !
The first one is the amp .
I only used 60% matching grade of some reason (wich I can´t remember) . I was surprised by the sound when I played it. It felt as if it was way to bright . But when I listened back to it , it sounded pretty close to the amp . Scary.................. I remember that my studio-monitors has been changed after the first recordings. (Maybe that´s a reason for my bright settings).
The tonematch eq makes really weird curves . I guess it adds character that will last.

Last edited:
I hear NO difference in sound! Why only 60% matching grade? What did you use as audio generator for the matching? Guitar playin? Test Tone? If that, which? Cool!!!!! Anybody needs a Kemper anymore???? hmm?

I had recorded rythm tracks wich I used as refrence. Then I recorded A dry track with the same guitar (and same riffs)to be compared. I didn't even make an ir of the real cab used. I just took one from the factory ones.

After listening to both clips, I really didn't care which was which, to be honest. They both sounded really good to me. I just dug your playing, phrasing, and the way you made the changes. Real nice playing.

That´s good . The playing comes through . That must mean that the amp delievers what you put in.:D

It´s nice to know though, that it´s quite possible to finish a track if the amp gets stolen when you´re half done..:mrgreen

I also used USB for both sources allthough the recorded project was 44.1kHz. I never thought it would work , but it did.:shock

Wow like most i was guessing the first was the axe and the second was the amp. there was a warmth to the second one that I really liked. Nice to see that it was the axe fxII. Awesome.

@Thomas: Try a sine sweep or noise ... here is my Amp match with a sine sweep. This is done just with an Axe Standard and Ozone EQ match, imagine how better it could be with the Axe II as dynamic generator!

thread is on german, but many embedded Soundcloud A/B comparisons between the real deal (Plexi Clone -> 4x12 Greenback -> SM57) and the matched sound (Axe FX Standard with matched CAB IR):

Fractal Audio Axe-FX II Userthread - Seite 96

A photo from the real AMP is shown one site earlier in the thread! Awesome AMP!

there was a warmth to the second one that I really liked.

Both, great sounds. While I like the second (axe) because it had a slightly warmer tone, I like the presence the first one had. Comparing the two: #1 had more presence and bite - maybe even too much - depending totally on your taste. The second was very nice; thick and warm. Perhaps could use just a touch more presence.

But, the main thing is that my comments are purely suggestive. Both tones are excellent. The fact that the axe sounds as organic as your home made (and I have no doubt, very well made) tube amp is truly remarkable.

I tried tone matching some time back with the ultra and ozone with outstanding results. However, getting from ozone to an IR was hit or miss (mostly miss) in my experience. I very quickly abandoned the process. I don't care about sound exactly like any amp but that organic/alive quality is somewhat elusive with the ultra. Apparently the II has taken significant steps to over come this problem.

Back
Top Bottom