Maybe my coolest patch thus far....

nhgtrman said:
I downloaded the sysex file but it didn't seem to contain any info, it didn't work for me.....i'm very curious to try this patch though, any chance you could try uploading it again? Thanks!!

Matt
Must be the global amp stuff. Here it is with the amp setup non-global: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/870088/Ax ... 20Ways.syx

Philip, as I was copying your settings from the video I noticed you say you can't get the filter to close all the way. Can you explain that a little better? Why wouldn't lowering the end point value on the frequency and Q curves not close it more? I don't know how the whole filter in the AC3 works so I can't figure what you mean by "close more". You have your end values well above the zero mark so "close more" to me would seem to mean "make the end values lower" but I'm obviously missing the AC3 experience to know why that isn't the case. Thanks!

iaresee said:
nhgtrman said:
I downloaded the sysex file but it didn't seem to contain any info, it didn't work for me.....i'm very curious to try this patch though, any chance you could try uploading it again? Thanks!!

Matt
Must be the global amp stuff. Here it is with the amp setup non-global: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/870088/Ax ... 20Ways.syx

Philip, as I was copying your settings from the video I noticed you say you can't get the filter to close all the way. Can you explain that a little better? Why wouldn't lowering the end point value on the frequency and Q curves not close it more? I don't know how the whole filter in the AC3 works so I can't figure what you mean by "close more". You have your end values well above the zero mark so "close more" to me would seem to mean "make the end values lower" but I'm obviously missing the AC3 experience to know why that isn't the case. Thanks!

So I just tried that one too, didn't work. Here's what I'm seeing, I'm using a Mac with the Sysex Librarian to send the files to my Axe-fx. Every preset, IR, etc i've sent successfully from the librarian to the axe fx is just a regular name(for example Muse VH4.syx) and has the manufacturer name Brooktree. These presets all start as Preset - Mysterious Ways.syx and have the manufacturer name Warner New Me. When I send the preset to the axe the midi in lights up, but there is no info there, just a blank preset....any thoughts or help from anyone reading this is greatly appreciated!!

Perhaps the Axe's ADSRP modifier be used to reduce the release time for the filter:

ADSR's

The Axe-Fx contains two Attack-Decay-Sustain-Release (ADSR) generators. These can be use to generate sequences that can then be used to control parameters. The graph shows the relative shape of the ADSR curve as its parameters are adjusted.

MODE - Selects the trigger mode of the ADSR
• ONCE: The sequence plays when the threshold is exceeded.
• LOOP: The sequence repeats as long as the signal is above the threshold.
• SUSTAIN: The sequence stays at the sustain level until the signal drops below
the threshold. The remainder of the sequence is then played.

RETRIG - When Retrig is on, sequences will reset to the beginning whenever the

threshold is crossed from below to above.

ATTACK - The attack or rise-time of the sequence. This is the first line in the graph.

DECAY - The time to go from the peak level to the sustain level. The second line in

the graph.

SUSTAIN - The time the sequence remains at the sustain level. The third, flat, line.

LEVEL - The sustain level in percent of full-scale.

RELEASE - The time to go from the sustain level to zero. The last line in the graph.

THRSHLD - The threshold level in dB. When the signal crosses this value the

sequence is triggered.

iaresee said:

Thanks a lot for the efforts to get this patch to .syx form. I don't have any clue how to do that, but it would obviously be more useful for people who just want the patch, with out the commentary. ;)

As far as the filter issue- The filter WILL drop low enough. In fact, what you may be thinking of is that I mention in the video about how I have to use the "offset" field on the modifier page to keep the filter from going too deep and basically muting out the sound. The problem is with the way that filter springs back. I have made a short flick that really captures the nuance of the A3 that I am missing in this preset- should be posted by tomorrow afternoon.

As for the post in this thread (and my comment) about using an ASDR instead of the envelope- this MIGHT correct the "springing back" problem that I mentioned above- however, even if this makes the sound a little closer to the A3 patch, it is not "technically" the right way to reproduce the sound. It is clear, just from looking at the parameters available in the ASDR that that controller is "time based," and not based on the dynamics of the input signal. The A3 patch is definitely controlled via the dynamics and is not time based.

The practical effect of using an ASDR in the Axe-fx, instead of the envelope is that you lose the ability to play the song at any tempo, save the tempo that is proper based on the ASDR settings. This is not a problem on the A3, where the tempo of playing doesn't alter the reaction of the "tonal woosh." The woosh is related to the dynamics of input.

-Phil

nhgtrman said:
So I just tried that one too, didn't work. Here's what I'm seeing, I'm using a Mac with the Sysex Librarian to send the files to my Axe-fx. Every preset, IR, etc i've sent successfully from the librarian to the axe fx is just a regular name(for example Muse VH4.syx) and has the manufacturer name Brooktree. These presets all start as Preset - Mysterious Ways.syx and have the manufacturer name Warner New Me. When I send the preset to the axe the midi in lights up, but there is no info there, just a blank preset....any thoughts or help from anyone reading this is greatly appreciated!!
All the presets I've dumped from Axe-Fx --> SysEx Librarian show up as 'Warner New Me". No clue about that.

I just tried using SysEx Library to send that exact file that's shared via Dropbox to my Axe-Fx -- worked great. I had it over write an existing patch with nothing similar in it and it worked perfectly. Drop your transmit speed maybe? Or check how you're downloading it? Make sure it's not getting mangled on the way down? The MD5 sum for the file I have on disk is:

Code:
my-imac:patches ian$ md5 Preset\ -\ Mysterious\ Ways.syx 
MD5 (Preset - Mysterious Ways.syx) = 298d1cbec03179fbb5eaac50bc6cf8b0

Anyone else having an issue with the file?

Edit: A little Google search turned up the break down for "SysEx Manufacturer IDs" to names that SysEx Librarian is using: http://www.midi.org/techspecs/manid.php -- it can help distinguish the bit-ness of the file (LSB or MSB) along with other SysEx information. I don't know if SysEx Librarian is using a magic file from Apple or its own for deciphering sysex manafacturer IDs. I don't see "Time Warner" in this list: http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/ ... gdir/sysex -- but I don't know if that's the current list Apple maintains in OS X. Anyhow, I'm curious to see if anyone else has issues with the file and why my dumps are coming up "Time Warner". If I had to take a guess: Fractal randomly choose a SysEx Manufacturer ID. And maybe it's changed with 7.18.

Philip said:
Thanks a lot for the efforts to get this patch to .syx form. I don't have any clue how to do that, but it would obviously be more useful for people who just want the patch, with out the commentary. ;)
Before we get into this filter discussion I should say to everyone else: watch Philip's video. It's not too quick, but it's educational in the educational-entertaining-exciting way that so few learning experiences are. Opened my eyes to the filter block and using it with the envelope controller it did, yes.

As far as the filter issue- The filter WILL drop low enough. In fact, what you may be thinking of is that I mention in the video about how I have to use the "offset" field on the modifier page to keep the filter from going too deep and basically muting out the sound. The problem is with the way that filter springs back. I have made a short flick that really captures the nuance of the A3 that I am missing in this preset- should be posted by tomorrow afternoon.
Ahh, yea, I misheard you then. :) I'm curious to see if this can be evolved in the Axe-Fx for sure.

Philip said:
finstah said:
this is SOOOOOO helpful. thanks for sharing.

I wish some of the other 'pros' would do things like this. Kudos to you for taking that step. :D

Pro?!?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is generous!

-Phil

It's nice that someone takes the time to do this rather then "Here's my song. Doesn't it sound great? Too bad you'll never know how I created the patch." :twisted:

Hey Phil-

I can make the filter slap back and it might be a simple and obvious solution. I have a terrible ear compared to others on the forum for U2 sounds so you might have to fine tune it but I tried using your preset but I put a WAH in front of the chain (before the filter)....set the WAH frequency control to automatically track with LFO 1A or you could use LFO 1B if you want a LFO control that is different than the frequency and q control you are using with your filter. I have a Korg A3 and it sounds closer but I might be wrong....maybe you could try it out and fine tune to what you hear Edge doing.

I tried this because the filter is really sensitive to changes in signal (like changing guitars...strat vs. rick...which is what Edge uses) so I thought why not modify the signal with a WAH bandpass with automatic frequency variation that maintains tempo with your filter frequency and q variation? And the result is that the signal on the filter snaps back nicely.

Maybe I am losing it but try it out. If you get it fine tuned please share your findings!

M@ (matman) if you have thoughts on this pipe up...this is right up your alley!

Greg Al Larson
onatonequest

Phil-

Here is the syx file....

Let me know if this is closer to what you were looking for.

Greg Al Larson
onatonequest

Attachments

• Mysterious Ways 2.zip
    517 bytes · Views: 136
Fikealox said:
This may be a noob question, but in the video, what're the 1-space shunts above the effects for?

The extra shunts don't do anything. They are remnants from different routing configurations that I had experimented with, but ultimately abandoned. I just didn't take the time to remove them because they don't bother anything.

-Phil

Back
Top Bottom