Maxing out the DSP

Brian Wahl

IMG_4243.jpeg

It's 1:00am here on the East Coast. I polished off this pint of Ben & Jerry's (Pistachio) while programming the FM9. This thing is legit. I think I've come up with some interesting ways to map all the effects and scenes to the 9 buttons.

Here's what I have going in a single preset (it's a lot...)
  • Compressor block (4 different comps)
  • Tremolo block (4 different trems, including ramping trem)
  • 2 Drive blocks (8 different drives, can run 2 at the same time)
  • Volume block
  • 2 amp blocks (stereo amps with the ability to switch to 4 different channels in each block)
  • Cab block (4 different stereo cab options)
  • EQ block
  • Chorus block (4 different choruses, including vibrato)
  • 2 Delay blocks (8 different delays, can run 2 at the same time)
  • 2 Reverb blocks ((8 different verbs - 4 'normal' and 4 cloud types, can run 2 at the same time)
  • Plex Delay - More ambient delay options
I'm also using a Control Swith/button to increase gain on the amps to get another stage of drive. So you can stack the two drive blocks, and use the amp gain all at the same time - it's a lot of gain options.

This setup maxes out the DSP, but it is significantly more than what FM3 can do. Axe-FX III does more.

A few more notes:
  • You can copy the block library files from Axe-FX III into the folders for FM9 and they all show up. I made this bold because I was so freaking excited that this worked, ha.
  • Whatever they did to the reverbs and how the DSP handles them allows you to run basically all the reverbs In both blocks at the ultra-high setting. It's a very nice tweak that they did (this seems to be handle differently In Axe-FX III - upping the quality on Axe takes more of a DSP hit).
  • All In all - 9 buttons Is hardly enough to scratch the surface trying to control everything you can do in a single preset. But I'm really liking how I've got it laid out so far, and the way Fractal lets us do secondary functions and jump between layouts is really flexible.
Here's what is missing that we have in the Axe-FX III presets
  • Pitch block (shimmer and POG effects)
  • 3rd Delay block (in axe we can run 3 different delays at the same time rather than 2)
... and that's about it, ha

If you really wanted pitch with a layout like this, you could remove one of the drive blocks and either the chorus or trem block and add it in. You'd still be able to get a bunch of overdrive options by using all 4 channels of the drive block with the amp gain switch.

And not having 3 delay blocks isn't a big deal.

View attachment 88885

It's 1:00am here on the East Coast. I polished off this pint of Ben & Jerry's (Pistachio) while programming the FM9. This thing is legit. I think I've come up with some interesting ways to map all the effects and scenes to the 9 buttons.

• Volume block
  • 2 amp blocks (stereo amps with the ability to switch to 4 different channels in each block)
  • EQ block
  • 2 Reverb blocks ((8 different verbs - 4 'normal' and 4 cloud types, can run 2 at the same time)
I'm also using a Control Swith/button to increase gain on the amps to get another stage of drive. So you can stack the two drive blocks, and use the amp gain all at the same time - it's a lot of gain options.

This setup maxes out the DSP, but it is significantly more than what FM3 can do. Axe-FX III does more.

A few more notes:
  • You can copy the block library files from Axe-FX III into the folders for FM9 and they all show up. I made this bold because I was so freaking excited that this worked, ha.
  • Whatever they did to the reverbs and how the DSP handles them allows you to run basically all the reverbs In both blocks at the ultra-high setting. It's a very nice tweak that they did (this seems to be handle differently In Axe-FX III - upping the quality on Axe takes more of a DSP hit).
  • All In all - 9 buttons Is hardly enough to scratch the surface trying to control everything you can do in a single preset. But I'm really liking how I've got it laid out so far, and the way Fractal lets us do secondary functions and jump between layouts is really flexible.
Here's what is missing that we have in the Axe-FX III presets
  • Pitch block (shimmer and POG effects)
  • 3rd Delay block (in axe we can run 3 different delays at the same time rather than 2)
... and that's about it, ha

If you really wanted pitch with a layout like this, you could remove one of the drive blocks and either the chorus or trem block and add it in. You'd still be able to get a bunch of overdrive options by using all 4 channels of the drive block with the amp gain switch.

And not having 3 delay blocks isn't a big deal.
So the POG type effects are in the FM9 and you just have to adjust to the dsp it uses?

So the POG type effects are in the FM9 and you just have to adjust to the dsp it uses?
Yes, there is a pitch block in FM9. From what I understand it hasn't had the latest update that the pitch block in Axe-FX III has (I could be wrong), but it will still do POG type effects.

It's surprising what you can get in to a single preset, isn't it? That's a lot you've packed in there!

On the block sharing front, I have all my editors save their block files into a single, common directory now. So a block created on one device can be instantiated in another. Super handy.

It's surprising what you can get in to a single preset, isn't it? That's a lot you've packed in there!

On the block sharing front, I have all my editors save their block files into a single, common directory now. So a block created on one device can be instantiated in another. Super handy.

That only works with later blocks, theres a bug in AxeEdit that doesnt update the firmware info in the block and FM3 only reads blocks from v12 and later

That only works with later blocks, theres a bug in AxeEdit that doesnt update the firmware info in the block and FM3 only reads blocks from v12 and later
Can you provide a reproduction case for this? If so, it can be fixed.

I have no issues with exported blocks and block channels across all the product line.

hello, is fm9 able to run this?
-wah block
-pitch block
-2 drive block
-Eq block
-mono chorus block
-mono delay block
-amp block
-2 cab block in ultra-res and preamp on in high quality+room level
-compressor block
-stereo chorus
-stereo delay
-reverb block in ultra-hi quality

Sorry for my question but i'm considering if waiting for fm9 or going with FX3

thank

-wah block
-pitch block
-2 drive block
-Eq block
-mono chorus block
-mono delay block
-amp block
-compressor block
-stereo chorus
-stereo delay

thank

Yes.
Running two IRs and Classic Whammy, I'm seeing about 80%.
Other settings in all of the blocks could push it up or down a little.
If you'd like room to stretch, I'd go for the Axe-Fx III. You'll also get it a lot sooner.

1632235807768.png

Last edited:
-wah block
-pitch block
-2 drive block
-Eq block
-mono chorus block
-mono delay block
-amp block
-compressor block
-stereo chorus
-stereo delay

thank
I know Matt pointed this out but the fm9 can totally handle that sort of patch. I’m pretty loaded with mine and I’m around the 80% mark myself. I’m blown away with what this can handle. Every time I place a reverb block in ultra res and 8 echo density and see my cpu increase 1% I just smile lol.

Yes.
Running two IRs and Classic Whammy, I'm seeing about 80%.
Other settings in all of the blocks could push it up or down a little.
If you'd like room to stretch, I'd go for the Axe-Fx III. You'll also get it a lot sooner.

:D I was halfway through building the same @Admin M@, beat me to it! I think you missed an Amp block though ;) :

Still @ ~80% (77.5%)

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 11.11.31 AM.png

I'll echo what everyone has said, it's a beast and I can't wait to use it live. This is the ultimate rig hands down.

Thanks guys even if i need 2 separate cab block, each one with one ultra-res ir loaded and preamp hi quality with different setting. I think that is too much for this unit

Has already been confirmed, perhaps you just havent created any pre v13 blocks. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...i-and-fm3-block-libraries.175450/post-2129321
My presets get updated frequently due to beta work. But also, there was a time where we had options to rip through all presets and update block settings -- I'm not sure if that's a feature that left the beta releases.

If it's reported, great. I'm sure it'll get addressed.

Edit: oh, yea. Totally in the next release.

This is fixed for the next release.

Thanks guys even if i need 2 separate cab block, each one with one ultra-res ir loaded and preamp hi quality with different setting. I think that is too much for this unit

Confirmed that it jumped it to 85% CPU switching on UltraRes and it went to WARNING for Dual Cabs (UR). A second cab both at Standard length in at 84.7%.

But that brings up a question, why are you loading 2 cab blocks? Can't you use a single cab block in UltraRes stereo and mix it in a single block using A-D channels to get your different variations? That's how you could adapt your workflow to make the FM9 work for you. But M@ is correct, if you're worried that your current signal chain designs require dual cabs/amps/anything, more than likely the AFX-III is your tool.

But there are always different ways to approach programming the signal chain thus making FAS awesome ;)

I need 2 different cab block because i do a little eq to each cab , if i use one cab block i can't do this. My approach is the same in one studio session

Whatever they did to the reverbs and how the DSP handles them allows you to run basically all the reverbs In both blocks at the ultra-high setting. It's a very nice tweak that they did (this seems to be handle differently In Axe-FX III - upping the quality on Axe takes more of a DSP hit).
Reverb runs on its own dedicated CPU core...
All In all - 9 buttons Is hardly enough to scratch the surface trying to control everything you can do in a single preset. But I'm really liking how I've got it laid out so far, and the way Fractal lets us do secondary functions and jump between layouts is really flexible.
You have 9 buttons time 9 layouts... Plus tap and hold functions and hold reveal.

Way more than 9 buttons :)

• Volume block
  • EQ block

Similarly:
  • Volume x 2
  • Pitch (POG)
  • Drive x 2
  • Delay x 2
  • Multidelay
  • Tremolo
  • Reverb x 2
  • Amp x 2
  • Cab (2 IRs, stereo)
fm9worship.jpg

That comes in at about 80% CPU. That patch with channels, scenes, and potentially modifiers will satisfy most anybody's P&W tone needs. I rarely built patches even this complex on the III, so it's good to know the FM9 will handle it. I do, however, miss the 3rd delay block but can make the Multidelay work.

The Pitch block may not have been updated to the III algorithms but it seems to track really nicely. Just as well as the Helix's. I don't recall the FM3's Pitch block sounding this good.

Last edited:
That comes in at about 80% CPU. That patch with channels, scenes, and potentially modifiers will satisfy most anybody's P&W tone needs. I rarely built patches even this complex on the III, so it's good to know the FM9 will handle it. I do, however, miss the 3rd delay block but can make the Multidelay work.

The Pitch block may not have been updated to the III algorithms but it seems to track really nicely. Just as well as the Helix's. I don't recall the FM3's Pitch block sounding this good.

Nice! I've found that removing the PlexDly block gives me back more than enough DSP to add the pitch block into my basic setup if needed. I really only use Plex for swells, and even then its pretty over the top, ha.

bigger game changer is a dedicated core for Reverb. Allows you to do so much more in a preset

This is the truth! It's a big deal for us heavy reverb and delay users.

I'll have to figure out how to do that, as it's a great idea. It's probably in the manual...

Back
Top Bottom