Maxing out IR space...reorg question

smj

Inspired
Hey Folks,

I'm about at the end of the user bank for IR storage... so I'll need to do a reorg, i.e, delete some and move cabs around for easier reference. My experience has been that my presets reference the the user bank position #... and not the actual IR itself. So if I move stuff around, it messes up my presets. What is the easiest way to get around this without going back into each preset and re-configuring the cab settings? Thanks in advance.

Sean Meredith-Jones

There's no way to get around it. You will break any presets that use an IR if you move it. There was a wish for a more rational way to reference IRs and Cliff said it would be easy to implement. But that was two years ago.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/reference-irs-by-waveform-instead-of-location.160828/
Kind of what I thought. Not the end of the world, but would be nice if there was a simpler way. A while back I wondered if saving my cab presets into the library would be a way to circumvent the issue... but I believe the library works the same way... it references the bank position # and not the ir itself.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Kind of what I thought. Not the end of the world, but would be nice if there was a simpler way. A while back I wondered if saving my cab presets into the library would be a way to circumvent the issue... but I believe the library works the same way... it references the bank position # and not the ir itself.

Sean Meredith-Jones
I'm sure it does. The Fractal ecosystem has no other way to refer to them, unfortunately.

There's no way to get around it. You will break any presets that use an IR if you move it. There was a wish for a more rational way to reference IRs and Cliff said it would be easy to implement. But that was two years ago.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/reference-irs-by-waveform-instead-of-location.160828/
You gotta admit that is really low priority. Like Sub-basement B

iu

IMHO, I would say it’s high priority. Trying to manage more than a handful of IR’s when they can’t be reorganized is a bit of a pain. When you have hundreds, it’s a major pain. There’s a good reason why Line6 offers this feature.

Reactions: KFF

iu
Apparently has been low priority so far? Or should be?

Yes on 1, emphatic NO on 2. IMO.

This is the single most unfortunately anti-ergonomic aspect of the whole Fractal ecosystem. And it has a known reasonable solution.

Which I'm sure has downsides and tradeoffs, that I would guess are surmountable

Apparently has been low priority so far? Or should be?

Yes on 1, emphatic NO on 2. IMO.

This is the single most unfortunately anti-ergonomic aspect of the whole Fractal ecosystem. And it has a known reasonable solution.

Which I'm sure has downsides and tradeoffs, that I would guess are surmountable
I agree with you. While it doesn't matter to me right now, it may some day, and I can see how it matters a lot to some.
While it's nice to get new features with updates, I think more effort should be put into making things work easier. Maybe look at the entire system thru the eyes of someone who's never used a modeler at all. I get the distinct impression there are many users who have grown up with this whole type of system, that perhaps don't "get" how a new user can become overwhelmed.

Just as a quick example, there's certain parameters that don't do anything until a different parameter is engaged. Greying out those parameters would be helpful, imo.

I got through it. I have quite a few of the York Audio packs and each one has quite a few individual irs. I just made notes on which cab irs I had for my presets and went back and keyed them in. I can live with it the way it is as I know about the issue and just worked around it... I generally have only 10-12 presets that I use regularly. Would it be nice to have a way to keep presets recalling the right ir regardless of bank id #? For me, still yes.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Back
Top Bottom