Maximum Number of Amp Models

Phostenix

Power User
This comment:
I have a 5150 III on the way. Should be here next week.

has me wondering:

A) Will Cliff also get a Carvin Legacy 3?
B) What is the maximum number of amp models that the Axe-FX II can store?
C) If we are approaching the limits of the hardware, is it possible to have a future FW version where we could replace some of the "stock" amps with some from a list of "optional" amps that could be downloaded from the website?

For real: I did no understand this amp-quantity discussion. We`ve round 70 Amps in there, right? And everyone can tweaked to everything .... IF I would feel the need of another amp I´ll would change my CAB! Sorry ...

Basically he wants to know how soon before Axe FX II starts running out of space, that's all :) A great question too.

Kinda early in the AxeFXII life cycle to start worrying about this. Lets appreciate what we have today & not worry so much about tomorrow cause nobody knows what the future will bring.

This comment:

has me wondering:

B) What is the maximum number of amp models that the Axe-FX II can store?
C) If we are approaching the limits of the hardware, is it possible to have a future FW version where we could replace some of the "stock" amps with some from a list of "optional" amps that could be downloaded from the website?

I was wondering the exact same thing this morning--probably b/c I was reading the Wish List thread regarding amp models. I think "C" is a great idea, if space does become an issue.

For real: I did no understand this amp-quantity discussion. We`ve round 70 Amps in there, right? And everyone can tweaked to everything .... IF I would feel the need of another amp I´ll would change my CAB! Sorry ...

You can't take a Tweed Deluxe and stick it in a 2 x 12 cab and suddenly have a high power Tweed Twin. I wish it was that simple, but it's not. The same goes for a whole lot of other amps. You can't morph one amp into another magically.

The 5153 is a great amp - glad to see it coming...I just sold mine a couple of months ago.... I just don't need a half stack anymore.

There are 81 choices currently (some are different modes of one amp), but Cliff also posted recently that he was looking for some unique or different amps to buy or borrow. I assume that means he is going to model them for the Axe.

So, I think it's a fair assumption that Cliff is looking to add more, I'm just wondering when we reach the storage limit and what options we might have at that point.

I'd love to see the Fender Tone-Master added. :)

You can't take a Tweed Deluxe and stick it in a 2 x 12 cab and suddenly have a high power Tweed Twin. I wish it was that simple, but it's not. The same goes for a whole lot of other amps. You can't morph one amp into another magically.

And the Fender Showman has been mentioned recently as an addition to have a high power amp that stays clean.

I was wondering the exact same thing this morning--probably b/c I was reading the Wish List thread regarding amp models. I think "C" is a great idea, if space does become an issue.
Yeah, C is a great idea... unless of course you're the developer and have to support the product. You'd pretty much have to have different firmware for every user.

Yes Cliff, please "Match/Model" the blue and red channels of the 5153 at the very least. The green channel(clean one) can be dialed in from an existing clean model already provided, but feel free to give us all 3 channels if you like!!

Yeah, C is a great idea... unless of course you're the developer and have to support the product. You'd pretty much have to have different firmware for every user.

That's not how I see it. I don't think that's how the OP sees things either. Shrug.

What is the maximum number of amp models that the Axe-FX II can store?
I'm still convinced there's room for 200 in G1 and Cliff once gave the impression there's shitloads of space in G2 for amps (unless they've redistributed that memory for other unforeseen stuff that came up, which I believe was not even possible in G1).
IOW: silly to worry about, IMO ;)

That's not how I see it. I don't think that's how the OP sees things either. Shrug.
I'm just thinking like a programmer here, and trying to see how you'd implement something that allows each user to choose what amps they want loaded into their firmware. I just think it would really make things a complicated mess to first implement and then support.

You'd pretty much have to develop an application that allows each user to select the amp or features they want and then create the firmware with those features. I think Cliff has pointed out way back with the Standard and Ultra that such customizable firmware would not be feasible.

I should add that I don't think it will even be necessary for quite some time, as I seriously doubt we are approaching the storage limits yet. As has been mentioned it's way to early in the product cycle to start worrying about that. I think we have a long wild ride ahead.

I'm just thinking like a programmer here, and trying to see how you'd implement something that allows each user to choose what amps they want loaded into their firmware. I just think it would really make things a complicated mess to first implement and then support.

You'd pretty much have to develop an application that allows each user to select the amp or features they want and then create the firmware with those features. I think Cliff has pointed out way back with the Standard and Ultra that such customizable firmware would not be feasible.

I should add that I don't think it will even be necessary for quite some time, as I seriously doubt we are approaching the storage limits yet. As has been mentioned it's way to early in the product cycle to start worrying about that. I think we have a long wild ride ahead.

Okay...you'd definitely know better than I, then. I was thinking of something along the lines of what Line 6 did, where they offered various packs that you could add to your machine depending on your musical tastes.

Bottom line, though, as you said at the end of your post, and as someone else also just said, is that all of this may be a moot point. If there's plenty of room on board for more amps, we're just yapping about nothing. :) I hope that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom