Max world champion F1!!!!!!

What an amazing end. Controversial as always, with both drivers affected by FIA decisions.

What an amazing end. Controversial as always, with both drivers affected by FIA decisions.
Congratulation Alexander for your nation to win the first F1 championship, Yes, this year Mr. Masi played a role that compromised the championship but both drivers deserved to be there for the championship... too many rules or too less gives the same results if the judge changes his mind every race...

Reactions: yek
So proud of “our” Max!!!! Saw him take the win in his home Grand Prix in Zandvoort but the last lap of this race was the most exiting of the season!!! Fingers crossed on what the stewards of the FIA will decide after the Mercedes protest….

I'm a Lewis fan, heart was racing there for sure. Might be nice to alter the title just in case anyone has it recorded to watch later on as you'd have just ruined my Sunday :)

I've not yet watched the race but have it on the DVR. The headline kind of spoiled things a bit but I'm still looking forward to watching the race this evening. Like many Yanks, I never paid much attention to F1 until watching Drive to Survive on Netflix. That got me hooked and I think I've watched every race this season.

Last edited:
I used to follow Gran Prix motorcycle racing, so I watch F1 occasionally simply because it's freakin awesome! So your post prompted me to watch some of that race, and a very well-done video detailing the various systems of an F1 car. Wow! The cars even have presets for various combinations of performance setups. Just like a Fractal unit! HA

As a huge F1 fan that'd fallen a bit out of love with the sport these past couple of seasons have got me back into the sport, mainly because my team McLaren have been resurgent

But it's been great to see the Max and Lewis scraps each race. They really were in another league F1 XL you could say.

Either driver genuinely deserved the title. Max for his tenacity and some amazing performances, Lewis for fighting back and demonstrating why he's an F1 legend

But, it's just a shame for me it ended how they did. They should have red flagged the race and had a winner takes all rather than let Max use his newer grippier tyres against Lewis and his older tyres.
Not saying Max isn't a true world champion, but there's that whiff of Masi orchestrating that ending, why did he let the cars between Lewis and Max unlap themselves and not the rest of the field? Everyone could see Lewis was a sitting duck with no way of defending

Still, superb sportsmanship from Lewis at the end to congratulate Max and to celebrate his win on the podium

As a huge F1 fan that'd fallen a bit out of love with the sport these past couple of seasons have got me back into the sport, mainly because my team McLaren have been resurgent

But it's been great to see the Max and Lewis scraps each race. They really were in another league F1 XL you could say.

Either driver genuinely deserved the title. Max for his tenacity and some amazing performances, Lewis for fighting back and demonstrating why he's an F1 legend

But, it's just a shame for me it ended how they did. They should have red flagged the race and had a winner takes all rather than let Max use his newer grippier tyres against Lewis and his older tyres.
Not saying Max isn't a true world champion, but there's that whiff of Masi orchestrating that ending, why did he let the cars between Lewis and Max unlap themselves and not the rest of the field? Everyone could see Lewis was a sitting duck with no way of defending

Still, superb sportsmanship from Lewis at the end to congratulate Max and to celebrate his win on the podium

The end was not pretty but definitely the most exiting last lap in many years of F1 history. A red flag would not have been appropriate in my opinion, the red flag is for safety purposes, not to equalize opportunities.

Lewis and/ or the team made the decision not to come in for a set of soft tyres, it is not that he did not have the opportunity. Off course that decision was easy for Max because he had nothing to loose. Max had quite a bit of bad luck this season, and Masi's decision turned that around.

And I fully agree that Lewis demonstrated to be a true champion in the way he congratulated Max on the podium. I truly hope that the championship remains to be decided on the track, and not by lawyers in a long lasting fight.

The end was not pretty but definitely the most exiting last lap in many years of F1 history. A red flag would not have been appropriate in my opinion, the red flag is for safety purposes, not to equalize opportunities.

Lewis and/ or the team made the decision not to come in for a set of soft tyres, it is not that he did not have the opportunity. Off course that decision was easy for Max because he had nothing to loose. Max had quite a bit of bad luck this season, and Masi's decision turned that around.

And I fully agree that Lewis demonstrated to be a true champion in the way he congratulated Max on the podium. I truly hope that the championship remains to be decided on the track, and not by lawyers in a long lasting fight.
Its easy to make the decision to pit when you have a free pitstop like max did.
So its wrong to say that he did have opportunity to pit . Had lewis come in max would have stayed out as both teams use opposite strategies at times especially when one of them is slower.

If lewis, had pitted and they still risked finishing behind max under safety car as many races go on to finish under sc and sc can last 6-7 laps at times, it would have lasted a lap more this race too if rules were followed.

Masi contradicted his own words from the precedent he set and defended particularly in Germany 2020, where he specifically emphasised that all lapped cars need to pass as per the sporting regulations and thus safety car period was longer.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/michael-masi-contradicts-lapped-car-clarification/

In the hindsight if lewis had pitted and come behind max ,guaranteed masi would not have not led lapped cars through or would have tried to finis under safety car, the way the entire race was manipulated into max’s favor at the end by only letting people between them through , and not in a proper manner. Shows it was intentional.

Max thoroughly deserved the championship for his season overall, but so did lewis for fighting back and Abu dhabi was lewis’s race.

The fact that what happened has no precedent. Says alot of things, especially because masi contradicted his ‘lapped cars may not pass message’ haphazardly midway lap 57.

How is a team to make strategic decision then?

Unfortunate for max his title will always be controversial , inspite of having such a great season.

It seems to me F1 group(liberty media) and FIA wanted to generate interest and attract great attention to the sport before 2022 regs kick in and best way to do it was to make someone else win it, as people were indeed tired of lewis winning.

Last edited:
I think a new rule would be great. "If you cause a collision, you can loose x points".
I know that would put Max at the bottom, but would be a fair rule for all.
Max had a huge advantage the whole race. Drive into Hamilton and win the championship....

I think a new rule would be great. "If you cause a collision, you can loose x points".
Max had a huge advantage the whole race. Drive into Hamilton and win the championship....

That rule already exists and was emphasized before the race. It was never a possibility / scenario.

Its easy to make the decision to pit when you have a free pitstop like max did.
So its wrong to say that he did have opportunity to pit . Had lewis come in max would have stayed out as both teams use opposite strategies at times especially when one of them is slower.
He DID have the opportunity to pit so it’s not wrong to say that. And yes, when Lewis would have come in Max may have stayed out but we will never know how that would have ended.
In the end Max was lucky, took his chance and took the win.
I am a big fan of Max but must say that Lewis deserved to win the title just as much as Max but there can only be one winner.

Schumacher deliberately drove into Villeneuve in 97 and was thrown out of the championship

Lewis would have come in Max may have stayed out but we will never know how that would have ended.
Ending in safety car , or no lapped cars past for sure😂. Looking at FIA’s intentional first precedents set during the last lap. Is why i say the chance to pit is only theoretical not realistic because he would be made lose the race without any controversy then.

Never been max supporter. But tremendous drives this season, loved his quali laps! And consistency, so far only seen lewis be so consistent over the years and seb briefly during the redbull stint.

I hope ferrari has a top car next year ,with the new regs. Will be fun 3 way top fight then.

Back
Top Bottom