Mavericks Freezing Axe Fx ?

maharzan

Experienced
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded to OSX Mavericks and today I turned on Axe FX after along time. I am on Version 11.05. I have connected the USB cable but no Axe Edit or Fractal Bot is Up. After couple of minutes of playing, the Axe FX freezes on me. I can still play but none of the buttons work. I can't change the presets, not do anything. I can play the only preset I am on. The screen freezes there. The lights are where they are when the freeze.

Anyone having the same issue? I saw connecting USB would freeze Axe FX but that was long time ago and I thought it was fixed now. I don't remember Axe freezing before this. Is this a known bug?

Thanks,
Chandra

Maybe it's not Mavericks? Most players experiencing lockups have an USB problem (cable), or a preset or user cab IR which is corrupt.
I'm having no problems using Mavericks.

Its happening in every preset I check.. I have no custom IR or presets.. all factory defaults. :(

It 'might' be due to older usb drivers or remnants of them left behind in the system before you updated the OS. It's sometimes a good idea to just do a backup and clean install a new OS.

I was having grief with my i7 iMac with 20GB RAM which I bought s/h from someone who decided to upgrade it from 10.6 to 10.8 just before I bought it. It was performing ok when I tested it but only had the stock system on and no third party apps loaded. Once I loaded all my usual apps and put the machine to work I got probs with random kernel panics. I traced most of the problems down to crap left behind from Avid ProTools which the previous owner had used and 'uninstalled' before updating the OS and selling me the machine.

When 10.9 (Mavericks) came out I bit the bullet and did a clean install and wasted most of a day re-installing all my apps and updating them etc. Early days yet but no kernel panics so far and everything running nicely.

Hmm... Everything else has been working great. I have seen an improved battery life too. :) The only thing that is troubling is the Axe FX at this point.

I reinstalled the drivers and firmware/axe-edit and default presets as well.. So far, it seems to be working pretty well, no freezes. Thank you all for your responses. Hopefully, this if fixed. :)

Same here, my Axe Fx freezes since a while. don't know where it comes from, either FW12 or Mavericks. I try to play it for a while without the USB connected and I'll see.

No problems here, Set-Up: Early 2011 MacBook Pro running Mavericks, AXE FX II 12.01 Axe Edit 3.03

Last edited:
Same here. No problem axe ii fw 12.02, mavericks on macbook pro. Maybe try to reinstall firmware.

Last night at practice, I had my first weird Axe performance in my 18 mths of owning it. I run Maverick Macbook Pro. Firmware 12.01 because my gear has been at church since the last time I played on 11-10.

I connected via USB to copy 2 presets into new locations, changed the tempo and title in Axe Edit (latest version).

Rehearsal was going for about an hour, and I noticed my Axe was not responding to MIDI commands. At the time, the usb cable was still plugged into the Axe, but no longer plugged into my MAC. The input lights for 1 and 2 were not maxed out, but they were tickling the red - regardless of whether I turned my guitar volume on or off, or played any notes.

The gaininess of the amp tone was not there, and the fullness of the bottom end was gone too. My axe did not change scenes and did not respond to MIDI control.

I turned it off and back on again and it performed flawlessly the remainder of the rehearsal - as it usually does.

I brought my gear home so I can refine my setlist programming and upgrade to 12.02 before Sunday. Now, I plan on leaving it powered on for burn-in, just to come back to it throughout the day and check whether it is "locked up" or functioning normally.

My concern is that my rack is out of sight, off-stage on Sundays when I play, so I can't merely look at the front panel and see whether it appears to be working properly or not. I also can't easily power cycle it, logistically, and also because that causes a pop through the sound system. It just has to work. Last night was the first time for me, that mine hasn't just worked. And I hope it's the last time.

I will be back with an update after I go to 12.02 and put my gear through programming and practice at home for a few hours over the weekend.

Running 10.9

No issues here.

When Axe is home I have the USB connected Axe/Mac all the time.

I do mac support on the side so my home has a plethora of different macs which I get to play with. No issues on any running mavericks with the axe-fx II, so I believe your problem is elsewhere. I'd think it's either some issue with a driver install or less likely, though not unheard of, a bad USB cable/port.

Back
Top Bottom