AFIII Matthias Jabs guitar tone question

stink

Experienced
Just thought I’d post this and see if anyone has any idea what is the main driver of these two awesome guitar tones. I’m a huge Matthias Jabs fan, been so since about ‘78. In this live video, he’s playing “Delicate Dance” (pick up at 32:25) and he’s got this kind of cocked wah-ish tone that I think is absolutely smoking. I’m thinking a large part of that tone may be coming from the isolation cabinet with 57(guessing here) on it, and part of that tone is the compression the mic is hearing inside the iso box. I know Leon is a huge Jabs fan as well, any ideas @2112?

Also epic, is this old clip from Judas Priest (Screaming for Vengeance tour), pick up at 2:25. It’s very similar in timbre.

Judas Priest - The Hellion / Electric Eye (Live Vengeance '82) - YouTube

I can get close, but I think the secret sauce must be the real cabinet mic’s in the iso box…any thoughts?

Edit: I have a preset that comes close but it's still missing something. I made it using my Dean Explorer, YMMV

Attachments

• Scorps.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Just thought I’d post this and see if anyone has any idea what is the main driver of these two awesome guitar tones. I’m a huge Matthias Jabs fan, been so since about ‘78. In this live video, he’s playing “Delicate Dance” (pick up at 32:25) and he’s got this kind of cocked wah-ish tone that I think is absolutely smoking. I’m thinking a large part of that tone may be coming from the isolation cabinet with 57(guessing here) on it, and part of that tone is the compression the mic is hearing inside the iso box. I know Leon is a huge Jabs fan as well, any ideas @2112?

Also epic, is this old clip from Judas Priest (Screaming for Vengeance tour), pick up at 2:25. It’s very similar in timbre.

Judas Priest - The Hellion / Electric Eye (Live Vengeance '82) - YouTube

I can get close, but I think the secret sauce must be the real cabinet mic’s in the iso box…any thoughts?

Edit: I have a preset that comes close but it's still missing something. I made it using my Dean Explorer, YMMV

On the priest one I would say he has a phaser or a filter in there
A filter that has that cocked wah or almost like an auto wah
Leon has it in a vid about control switches when you forget your wah

Yeah
On the priest one I would say he has a phaser or a filter in there
A filter that has that cocked wah or almost like an auto wah
Leon has it in a vid about control switches when you forget your wah
In the preset I tweaked the amp block input to emulate that cocked wah sound but I still think there’s something missing and I can’t quite describe properly. That’s why I’m wondering if it’s the actual mic compression I’m hearing?

Agree with the possible phaser on Tipton’s lead. I saw that concert, it was so bad ass!

What firmware was this made on? 21.02 beta? I wanted to look to see if you tried a 'Cocked' Wah in the preset.

What firmware was this made on? 21.02 beta? I wanted to look to see if you tried a 'Cocked' Wah in the preset.
21.20 beta. If you look at the AMP block input filter, you can see how it’s tweaked

21.20 beta. If you look at the AMP block input filter, you can see how it’s tweaked
Can't load the beta yet. Working on a very large project for a client on 21.01. I need to stay there until the client is finished checking it all out.

@Moke Here's a screen shot of the AMP block input
1675556179702.png

The AMP EQ (no AMP Output EQ adjusted)
1675556389516.png

CAB's are factory
1675556441519.png

With a slight bump to the preamp
1675556487543.png

Attachments

• 1675556322822.png
    1675556322822.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 6
Looks like a decent pre-EQ mid boost?
Yes. I like using that approach opposed to using another block on the grid. I forgot to mention (until I just looked), I'm using input boost on the Preamp tab of the AMP block too.
1675560209023.png

i don't hear a cocked wah thing going on at all. i hear lots of mids, but nothing particularly unusual. looking at a rig rundown, they seem to be playing these

FBB5E3AC-9559-4ADA-BEEE-B8FEB283D799.jpeg

the demo of the "caveman" on the website nails that scorps tone

https://caveman-audio.com/x3/

grab a plexi or even a an 800 and bung a tube screamer in front and bob's yer uncle

the caveman or the armageddon would be great amps to have in the axe, imo

A little goes a long way too!
I literally leave it at default. I think this emulates some very good DAW tape plug-in and default is that setting. Only thing I might touch is the output level (rare). It really adds a certain thing that helps a tone sound more like a recorded guitar. I used it all over Brit Rock Royalty #1 TonePack to nail the first four Zep album tones - it was indispensable tool for that.

I literally leave it at default. I think this emulates some very good DAW tape plug-in and default is that setting. Only thing I might touch is the output level (rare). It really adds a certain thing that helps a tone sound more like a recorded guitar. I used it all over Brit Rock Royalty #1 TonePack to nail the first four Zep album tones - it was indispensable tool for that.
it adds a some pixie dust for certain. It seems to give the tone the oomph needed to stand out in the mix.

i don't hear a cocked wah thing going on at all. i hear lots of mids, but nothing particularly unusual. looking at a rig rundown, they seem to be playing these

View attachment 115619

the demo of the "caveman" on the website nails that scorps tone

https://caveman-audio.com/x3/

grab a plexi or even a an 800 and bung a tube screamer in front and bob's yer uncle

the caveman or the armageddon would be great amps to have in the axe, imo
That would be an excellent addition. Did you check out the preset I uploaded? At least to my ears, the tone seems to have that midrange boost (wah-ish) quality. I made the patch with my Dean explorer (mahogany body/neck, flame maple top), and I think it’s close but I’m still missing something. Why I’m hung up on the actual mic compression (which is what I think I’m hearing), is because years ago, I was recording using a 4x12 placed into a tiny space with a 57 on it. I noticed when the cabinet was fully enclosed, it put some compression back to the recorded tone. With the cabinet open to the room, the artifact went away.

If you get a chance, take a look at the preset and see if I’m missing something. You definitely have an ear for details.

Back
Top Bottom