Matte Jazz III picks

Blue Chip are my go-to picks. I also like Gravity Gold. No chirp. Blue Chip makes a small pointy jazz pick and also a slightly larger version for people with larger hands. I am a small hands guy so I don't need the larger pick.

They're a bit larger than the Jazz III but the Planet Waves Black Ice is made out of Duralin, similar to Dunlop's tortex.

Y'all's'r'a'some...

I've been trying to collect all the picks mentioned and have just two left to complete it. Thus far I'm liking most the Carbon and the John Pretrucci picks the most. But I'll write back once I had the chance to try them all with some conviction.

I used to prefer the Ultex Jazz III. I’ve switched to the Dunlop Flow 2.0mm. Included both of these (and other Jazz III flavors) in the package I sent.

Troy Grady made a video about on the classic Jazz III. As usual, he has a theory on why it works so well for some pickers. No info on matte variants, but still interesting:

I've been phasing out my Jazz III and Petrucci picks in favor of the PW Black Ice: http://www.accessories.daddario.com..._Ice&sid=d1c419f2-c56b-4d62-be90-25e1603d32e1
Kind of a tortexy grip layer, good point, and the intermediate sizing that I love about the JP without the rounded off attack that plagues those picks.
imgrc0062375599.jpg

I thought it was a good idea with the grip on the pick's, i got some 2mm dunlops with grip since I've used the purple ones for so many years. Well upon using, I realized how much I move the pick around in my fingers, and is part of my technique. With the grip it was much more difficult to play. Just an observation from what I experienced.

Same here. Tested these "grip friendly" picks but couldn't really bond with them due to same reasons you mention.

Thank you everyone who suggested picks and sent me some to try out. After countless hours of playing and getting used to each pick suggested here I found the ones that work for me the best.

1) John Petrucci picks have become my main goto for leads, and economy picking stuff
2) Dunlop carbon fiber for general chugging
3) A random really thick V-Pick "Lite" "Small" (2mm??). That thank brings out magic in my faster sweeps. I mean, like, I can't pull it off with any other pick. I and I 100% pull it off with this pick.

Depending on what I'm doing, one of those three brings out my best playing. I think I'm going to try to design my own pick that has the characteristics of the JP and the V-Pick with the grip of the Carbon Fiber one.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom