Matrix XT800 Review and Comparison

Lightningboy

Experienced
Matrix XT800 review/personal opinion
Ok. I've had the Matrix for just over a week. I gigged it last weekend but had major issues all through the gig (other guitarist a no-show, having to bluff all his solo's, wireless crapping out on me) so felt it wouldn't be fair to post a review as,
A: I wasn't getting a true representation of the amp
B:Wasn't fully concentrating on the amp to give a full critique

So I tested and analysed the amp all through this week. Had a few conversations with Matt from Matrix who've spent time and listened and been very co-operative.
The amp itself is simple, well designed and very, very light! My XT800 has combi inputs but just the standard speakon outs. I like the speakon outputs, no danger of the speaker cable yanking out at the wrong moment and an easy job to fit onto an existing cable.
On powering on, as has been mentioned before the fans aren't super quiet but definitely not as noisy as the Rockton Velocity 100 or the Peavey 50/50. Easily liveable with.
My Matrix is running into a Mini 4x12 Marshall stereo cab loaded with x2 Beyma 12GA50's and x2 no-brand whizzer cone speakers just as a blend. Power is 350w per side.

OK, first test was done playing some music. The thing that srikes you is the crystal clear highs, cymbals nice and clear and reverb tails also become alot more apparent. Bottom end is full, and certainly plentiful. But this is going to start sounding like a hi-fi review so we'll unplug the CD player and crank up the Axe!

Tried a couple of my Soldano patches. First thing I notice is that my speakers are shifting alot more bottom end and there's definitely some "trouser flapping" qualities returned to the mix. High end isn't harsh as I've said but there's a very slight lack of mid range sparkle. Compounding that is a hint of a "blanket" over the low mids. From about 350hz to 800hz the bass mids seem very compressed, very punchy but very congested. The sag you can normally hear on the amp sims is covered somewhat, A lowering of the global EQ's in this region helps but it still sounds a bit like it's been compressed. On stage at volume this weekend this gave me some great sounding sims but getting some nice feedback was near impossible. The guitar wanted to just sustain around the low end and not form into that nice harmonic feedback you get. A quick play on the globals boosting 2,4 and 8k added that sparkle back but was in danger of becoming a bit harsh sometimes. Volume wise on stage the amp has plenty left in the tank. Easily loud enough to compete with the drummer. After the gig, I felt the top of the amp.....the thing wasn't even lukewarm!! I had to look at the front to check the power light was still on!

So, Is the amp any good?

Well yeah, it's an awesome piece of kit. It's just got the feeling that it's been tweaked towards the bass heavy PA market. As a PA or even a bass amp this things low end is to die for and for certain genre's of guitar music it'll be a bonus. The difference between my Peavey and the Matrix is very subtle and it's the same difference I can hear when I listen to Paulmapp's youtube demo's. It's the same thing that's just "cloying" that area of the amp where you can hear a bit of breakup and sag in the poweramp sims. As Octatonic has said and I agree, you don't get that colouration the XT800 has when listening on studio monitors. If this is indeed an electronics issue that could be tweaked out to let this area of the amp "breathe" a bit more then Matrix are more than willing to give it a try. I'm more than willing to help as well. Don't get me wrong, some people will prefer the amp as is, again not an issue as Matrix will cater for them happily.

I've done a demo to show that it is a very subtle thing. I've basically mic'ed my cab up and kept all the settings the same, just the amp has changed, Global is flat on the Axe FX. Mic'ed up the difference is there but not quite as pronounced as when a/b'ing in the room obviously. Have a listen and see what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/lightningboy/sets/axe-fx-matrix-xt800-s-s-peavey-tube-test

Last edited:
Yep - sounds very similar to my tests. I actually prefered the EQd Matrix over the Peavey, but then I like a bit more body in my tone. Ive not had the feedback issue - but then Ive not played on a stage yet. I really cant wait to get the "modded" version once James has had his input.

So three UK based Axe-Fx owners can now have a cup of coffee at Matrix and show/explain Andy and Matt what to alter/tweak/mod in the amp. Indeed it is very subtle but if they can evolve it even more in the direction of a tube amp I will be more then happy.

Thanks you guys I am glad all three came up with the same "issue".

For the Bass players this part maybe should not be modded. They should ask for the altered fan speed, combo-outs and level input mod.

Great work and thanks for joining the TEAM.

Regards

Let me see if I understand: we guys feel that the Matrix is essentially not transparent enough, and is too bass focused? (not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to understand the issues here)

Let me see if I understand: we guys feel that the Matrix is essentially not transparent enough, and is too bass focused? (not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to understand the issues here)

Nope,
It is al about the responsiveness in the lower mid freq. The amp is in this area to fast and should breath some more in this area. Great for Bass and PA use but to get better tube amp reactive respons some altering would be benificial.
It is not about flat EQ respons that is OK. It is about smooth breathing respons in lower mids.

And you know, I hardly see this as a problem but solving this will enhace the quality of this àmp even more
Regards

Last edited:
Ok.

"smooth breathing response in lower mids"

I'm scratching my head as I read this... I believe you.... just trying to picture it.

there is an EQ difference - however thats more to do with the Matrix being flat and valve power amps NOT being flat. There is no issue there as you either tweek your axe patches to the matrix - or add a global (or Para) eq to make the response sound like its comming from a valve amp.

I dont see the HF as a problem either. Both me and Lightningboy are adding 2k 4k and 8k - Octatonic is removing some high end, but were all using different speakers. The input sesnsetivity isnt really an issue either. The axe is more than capable of driving the Matrix - however most guitar power amps typically have a 0dbu (0.775v) input sensetivity so it does make sense to alter the guitar related spin off in that respect.

The response however does need addressing. its not HUGH, but the Matrix is snappier, which sounds a little hard edged. it can be 90% dialled out using Sag, Damp, HF and LF transformer settings, however if the respose can be slowed without affecting the overall frequency response of the amp it can only be a good thing.

My patches are all quite "hot" and with an EQ as a solo boost, just start to clip on the Axe. On the jack outs with the Axe's output level dimed, I just started to light the input lights on the Matrix. I doubt I'd need that much volume on stage TBH but if a slight tweak on the input helps the amp run to it's potential then maybe that would be ok.
I wouldn't say snappier Paul, maybe on clean and low/med gain patches, where the "compression" in that bandwith would help achieve that, when a bit more gain is applied it's tending to cloud over the "hairyness" or "browness" or that you'd be able to hear from studio monitors or through the Stewart 1.6, it's still there, just not as prominent with the Matrix. But maybe we're just splitting hairs over the choice of description. We can hear it which is the main thing!

Short question: I use the ART SLA-2 in bridged mode with my age-old and hand built 4x12 cab (8 ohms, around 300W). I always play mono.
Do you think it would be necessary to use the XT800 in bridged mode?
How do you handle it with the output knobs? I have the output on my ART cranked up and the AXE output is at about 12 to 1 o'clock when rehearsing (loud) with the band. Most of my patches at a level of more or less 0.00 dB.
I'll surely buy an XT800 this spring. I'm happy with my ART as I really took the time to fine tune my sounds. However, there's still something missing and I'm pretty sure the Matrix is able to give me what I need!
I read every new Matrix-post with much interest! So carry on, boys ;)

How do you know your patches are at 0db? the global out may be at 0db, however depending on your input gain, your block levels and EQ levels the actual output signal may be much higher or lower.

If you driving a 300W cab with a bridged Atr SLA-2, you nowhere near driving the Art to its maximum as you dbe blowing your speakers. Power is Power, not volume. If you put the same power into the same cab you get the same volume. On top of that, you need 10x the power to double the volume. at the sound levels were talking the human ear struggles to tell much difference when you double the volume. Its why judging the power by ear is very dangerous for your speaker.

If the Axs o/p lights clip, that is giving +12dbu at the jack O/Ps. The Matrix needs +4db to drive it fully and the Art +3db (1.23v needed for the Matrix, 1v for the Art) so the same patch at the same level from the Axe will give less power, but you can just tweek you global gain levels if thats an issue. After the mods, the Matrix will need a 0dbu signal which is 0.885v so it will give twice the power compared to the Art with the same input signal.

Either way the Matrix is more powerful than the Art (200W mono, 560W bridged for the Art - 250W mono and 800W bridged for the Matrix), so if the Art is enough the Matrix will also be enough. Personally I dont see any need to drive your cabs in bridged mode for either amps.

No block levels, no additional EQ, my output level in the patch is around 0.00 dB. That's what I meant but I know that this just gives an approximate value. Please note that I'm no native speaker so sometimes it's a bit difficult for me to explain what I really mean and also to understand everything when it gets too technical. You don't learn that in school here :D
Of course I know that power is power and not volume. Just wanted to know if there's enough headroom when using the Matrix mono and unbridged. When I use the ART unbridged it's not enough. Thx for your answer :)

No block levels, no additional EQ, my output level in the patch is around 0.00 dB. That's what I meant but I know that this just gives an approximate value. Please note that I'm no native speaker so sometimes it's a bit difficult for me to explain what I really mean and also to understand everything when it gets too technical. You don't learn that in school here :D
Of course I know that power is power and not volume. Just wanted to know if there's enough headroom when using the Matrix mono and unbridged. When I use the ART unbridged it's not enough. Thx for your answer :)

IIRC a row of shunts in the Axe is equal to -6db, the main bypass is 0db. Assuming the amps are all 0db, even when the master level is set at 0db (which I dont think they are) and no cut or boost is added with the effects, then it would be still -6db.

I think you'd have enough headroom in bridged mode, you have a rough 2:1 ratio and if you set up properly then shouldn't hurt the speakers....IF you set up properly! :)

Do any of you guys with the Matrix Amps have a powered Atomic?

Would love to hear a compare of how the Matrix Amp would compare to the power section on a powered Atomic.
So A/B the power section on the Atomic with the Matrix.

I gig with a Verve 12ma, and I have a Passive Atomic for rehearsal. I've tried the powered Atomics and they sounded great, but I didn't feel the power amp could hold up to high volumes (but the tone was excellent). So I grabbed a couple passive Atomics and am powering them with an ART SLA2. Plenty of power...but not as smooth of a tone as the powered Atomic (or my Verve). Would love to hear if the Matrix would compare favorably with the Atomic Power Amp(MB50).

Any opinions?

Would love to hear a compare of how the Matrix Amp would compare to the power section on a powered Atomic.

I gig with a Verve 12ma, and I have a Passive Atomic for rehearsal. I've tried the powered Atomics and they sounded great, but I didn't feel the power amp could hold up to high volumes (but the tone was excellent). So I grabbed a couple passive Atomics and am powering them with an ART SLA2. Plenty of power...but not as smooth of a tone as the powered Atomic (or my Verve). Would love to hear if the Matrix would compare favorably with the Atomic Power Amp(MB50).

Any opinions?

I think you have to order the XT-800 and A/B test it yourself. Or wait till some one else does it. Sorry :-x

Any opinions?

Power wise the Matrix will beat the Atomics all day long, but that's really not a fair comparison. The Atomics are a powered speaker and the Matrix is purely an amplifier. Power wise, compared to the MB50, again the Matrix should be ahead by a long chalk in the volume stakes (I'm basing that purely on reviews and posts on the feel and loudness of the thing).
As a direct replacement for the SLA-2 then again the Matrix ticks all the boxes, nicer top end more power and volume and a lighter lift! DADA has replaced his SLA-2 with the Matrix and couldn't be more pleased, so for powering your passives, the Matrix will do the job well.

Hopefully if we UK guys could get a shootout of some kind together then we can answer these kinds of questions. We'll wait and see what happens with that!

With the tube amp you can hear the little artifacts when the pick touches the string... which I dig btw...... I don't know, Im still not convinced that can beat the tube amp. The difference is little... little to maybe forgive them or not?...not sure...

Back
Top Bottom