Matrix XT Guitar amp - what would be your spec requirements?

Which specification would you prefere in a Ss Power Amp?

• 1U Mono - 125W into 8 Ohms, 200W into 4 Ohms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2U Mono - 250W into 8 Ohms, 400W into 4 Ohms

• 2U Mono - 125W into 8 Ohms, 200W into 4 Ohms

• 2U Stereo - 125W into 8 Stereo, 200W into 4 Stereo - 400W into 8 Bridged

• Total voters

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
As discussed in another thread, Matrix are developing a potential guitar version of their XT500/800 amps. Part of that design would be to use Jack outputs. The current design puts out too much power when utilised fully to use Jack safely (their low V outsputs really) so their looking at reducing the Max power of the amp for the Guitar model.

Not only will it help with the jacks, but also lower power means less heat - and also allow for quieter fans to be used to cope with this less heat. the amnp could be a mono amp, or stereo, could be 1U or 2U (2U is easier to keep cool - so again a quieter design) - and could be any output people wish.

So - in an ideal world - what would the amp sepcs be? 1U or 2U? Mono or Stereo? How much Power.

Please select from the Poll and any other comments - feel free to make them.

Oh - If you would prefere a different spec, please state what that would be. Say a mono 1U 500W into 8 Ohms amp etc.

Also, please select the best option from the poll as well as specing anoything else. the options are based on the current design and altering the ammount of amping devices. Other specs could be done but would mean a greater diversification from the current design - ultimately making it more expensive.

Definitely 1U. Definitely Stereo. Definitely bridegable.

The power...not sure...I selected option 3 (as I was looking at an XT-800 anyway) headroom is always a good thing...but 300W each side into 4Ohms would be plenty for me though (2x 300W 4x12 cabs) if that reduced the heat and made for a quieter unit.

It would be great/perfect if the existing XT800 could have a switch or even a pot control for the fast/slower "reactive speed" (not unlike the Rocktron velocity) but obviously the matrix is a much higher quiality amp...then possibly best of both worlds (usage wise if you preserve the dual output)...but as you say cost would be an issue with extra design.

I don't know how loud the fan is, but I have the impression that when I play through it on a gig or a rehearsal that is louder than the fan ? (Has to be a very loud fan otherwise..) So I don't think that making it 2u because of noise is a very good idea.

I thought Speakon could take jack too? If you want to have a smaller amp then you'd buy a XT500 instead of the XT800 so reducing the amp power to conform to jack plugs seems an odd decision to me, just get the smaller version.

I am more interested in the modifications to the sound/feel of the amp, the size/weight etc. is already good. Even if I have imagining what the "reactive speed" might do when playing over it.

Jens

I don't know how loud the fan is, but I have the impression that when I play through it on a gig or a rehearsal that is louder than the fan ? (Has to be a very loud fan otherwise..) So I don't think that making it 2u because of noise is a very good idea.

I thought Speakon could take jack too? If you want to have a smaller amp then you'd buy a XT500 instead of the XT800 so reducing the amp power to conform to jack plugs seems an odd decision to me, just get the smaller version.

I am more interested in the modifications to the sound/feel of the amp, the size/weight etc. is already good. Even if I have imagining what the "reactive speed" might do when playing over it.

Jens

HE Jens,

I remember you as the jazz shredder from our meeting last may!
Nice to see you hang around here!
BTW what is your set-up now?

Cheers

Hi Dada!

Jazz-shredder! I don't get called that everyday! :)

My setup right now is FRNA (For Right Now Available) so I am playing the Axe "stereo" through a polytone mini-brute and a mackie sm something powered monitor, it sounds
surprisingly good with poweramp and cab sim on. But I am just looking around for what I am going to get, I am leaning towards the TT-Cab/Beymas and Matrix power amp at the moment.
Seems very light and I remember playing on your rig as sounding very good, and also very ok in-the-room feel. Weight is priority. I really don't want to carry to much stuff around, at the same time I like stereo... (I know that is not that logical...)
I am just waiting for what is going to happen with the guitar version and I need to pay my taxes :) And my experience already with this setup in 30+ gigs I am very happy with the sound of the Axe!!!

Sorry for being totally off topic!

Jens

I would prefer 2u as you could have a slower fan and use more heat sink material in the case.
A 1u would get me to 5u in total.
Not many 5u cases about so I would be carrying a 6u anyway.

Hi Dada!

Jazz-shredder! I don't get called that everyday! :)

My setup right now is FRNA (For Right Now Available) so I am playing the Axe "stereo" through a polytone mini-brute and a mackie sm something powered monitor, it sounds
surprisingly good with poweramp and cab sim on. But I am just looking around for what I am going to get, I am leaning towards the TT-Cab/Beymas and Matrix power amp at the moment.
Seems very light and I remember playing on your rig as sounding very good, and also very ok in-the-room feel. Weight is priority. I really don't want to carry to much stuff around, at the same time I like stereo... (I know that is not that logical...)
I am just waiting for what is going to happen with the guitar version and I need to pay my taxes :) And my experience already with this setup in 30+ gigs I am very happy with the sound of the Axe!!!

Sorry for being totally off topic!

Jens

Paying taxes is always bit bit of a shame. Nice to hear you liked my set-up. The Matrix guys are working hard on their new product. But the amp as it is is already way much better then the ART SLA 2. On weight the TT-Cabs with the Beyma's and the Axe-Fx with the Matrix (3,7 kg) is unbeatable.

If your really interested in the Matrix/TT-cabs/Beyma's setup (looks like it) you can always PM me for a try.

Keep on shredding that Jazz guitar!

Regards

Paying taxes is always bit bit of a shame. Nice to hear you liked my set-up. The Matrix guys are working hard on their new product. But the amp as it is is already way much better then the ART SLA 2. On weight the TT-Cabs with the Beyma's and the Axe-Fx with the Matrix (3,7 kg) is unbeatable.

If your really interested in the Matrix/TT-cabs/Beyma's setup (looks like it) you can always PM me for a try.

Keep on shredding that Jazz guitar!

Regards

Thanks Dada! I'll probably take you up on that in a month or so :)

Jens

What do you mean by "guitaramp" model... is it meant to be used with guitar cabs or FRFR? Will this new matrix model have a voicing/color?

If not. I´d like to pump up the power a bit from what I selected in the poll. That is: 1U Stereo - something like 250W (or whatever) into 8 stereo, and 500W into 4 Stereo. Don´t care about bridged mode at all...
Since my plan is to use ACME 2x10 cabs, this amp would probably fit those cabs just perfect (where 500w are optimal).

/Mike

Paul,

Not everyone wanting the Matrix power amp is going to use it with a traditional guitar cab. Some are going to use it with passive FRFR wedges for the ultimate in flexibility. That needs to be considered. Plus, having a rack-able, seperate power amp also allows one to turn on and off power to cabs easily- without having to reach around the back of the wedges for the power switch.

I do get that. The xt range as is won't change. If that's what you need you can still get it.

The results to date show to keep as is. Matrix would rather lower the power if its going to have jack outs, and that would be aimed at cabs not frfr. It may be the xt500 that gets guitarified. However it seems the 800 form is what's wanted so? They would rather keep things stereo as the same boards could be used as the xts with mods carried out after. It will make the amp a touch more expensive than the standard xts mind.

So, it would seem likely that the guitar version would be the same as the current xt500 and xt800 (both available) with the mods being ip sensitivity being set at 0 db rather than +4, jack op rather than speaking, the quieter fan operation, and finally two different response circuits delectable with a switch. The first would be "fast" and be the same as the current amps with the other being slow. Slow would lower the response time and also incorporate some changes to the hf and maybe low f damping. To get this spec there would be an extra charge offset the extra components and time required to carry out the mods.

I thought to ad some info here:

Here a quote from Matt:

Having discussed audio quality with Andy this afternoon it transpires that the xt800 has more fets than the xt500, and as such will produce a better quality sound, even when used at lower power.

The xt500 makes use of one pair of mosfets,
The xt800 makes use of two pairs of mosfets,

More silicone = better quality sound.

Therefore the guitar users are better off using the xt800
So it is not without reason to choose for the XT-800

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom