Matrix XT-800 Review, and up against a VHT 2:50:2

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Matrix XT-800 Review, and v VHT 2:50:2 now with video

This will be spread over several posts I think. I will put some pics up when I get some taken - and will also do some video clips of both the Matrix and the VHT for comparrison (as best you can on the net).

Well, the new Matrix XT-800 arrived yesterday. First thoughts were, my god this suckers light. The pics on Matrix's Website make the amp look kind of grey and industrial looking which isnt to my tastes. In the flesh though, the amp is much darker, verging on black, and looks very smart. i took the lid off (Matrix have OK'd this though I cant take pics of the inside). Its very clean, and well build. solid solder joints and HUGH heat sinks. The cooling air flow is certainly well thought out, with the fans drawing the air directly through the sinks, and eddies in the airflow being created (on purpose) so no hot spots develope in the case. My only concern is the volume knobs are directly soldered onto the PCB - and are not bolted/screwed to the case. if you dropped the amp on the knobs there would be a lot of stress directly on the board. The pots threaded shank isnt long enough to allow them to be secured to the outer plate by nuts, and the PCB cant be moved closer to the pannel. I have suggested that a couple of U brackets are attaced to the inside of the facia, deep enough for the threaded portion of the pot to go through and locking nuts placed on both sides of the bracket. This would mean any iimpact would be taken by the bracket, and front facia rather than the solder joint and PCB. Matrix have never had any amps returned from damage caused this way, and the joint to the PCB is certainly solid, so maybe I'm being picky - however It would give be a bit more piece of mind.

My amp has been fitted with the Speakon/Jack combi outputs which is a bonus as I use stock guitar cabs so need that 1/4" jack output. Mine has also had the modification on the fans, so first up - how loud/quiet it the amp? Well it is noisier than the Axe, and from memory the Art too - but TBH I dont think its too much. Even at bedroom levels you cant really hear it over the guitar so? i followed DADAs lead and used a phone app to take some measurments (all at 1 meter).

Background noise: 25 db
Axe-FX (Silent fans as fitted by G66): 30db
Matrix XT-800: 35 db
VHT 2-50-2: 43 db

So, not as quiet as the Axe, but not as noisey as the VHT.

i havent had a lot of time to play yet, around 10 minutes at failrly loud volume followed by 20 minutes or so at bedroom levels. Firstly, I couldnt get the protection led to light at all !! while not a bad thing, it is how I tend to set the O/P (that is get a SS amp to clip slightly so I know its kicking out its max Watts, then back off the input signal so that its kickout out what I want for my speakers). Even with the Axe's OP clipping slightly the green Signal LED on the Matrix wasnt solid. Now according to Matrix the green LED is on at -10db to -8db and as I need 6db of headroom (to get the 250W from the Matrix down to the 60W my cab takes) Im probably about right even with everything on full. Ill try tonight with XLRs feeding the amp (currently use jacks) as that signal would be 6db hotter.

Initial thoughts on the sound is wow. Dynamically it is there. Reacts to the guitar just like my VHT. the clean was just lush. I then switched to the VHT, and there is a difference. Not much played clean however the VHT did seem a touch louder. As different amps have different input sensetivities I wasnt surprised TBH.

So - upped the gain and the differences betwen the amps start to show. the VHT had a deeper body on crunch sounds, and on high gain just seemed more satisfying. It had more punch in the gut, more thud/thump whatever, and also some sizzle in the high frequencies (the Matrix is clear and smooth). Unfortunately I ran out of "loud" time at this point as the wife and kids came home.

So - down went the volume. comparing the two amps now didnt show any difference in feel, but you could hear an EQ difference. the VHT having more bottom end, and bite. Now, this could be down to three things:

1. Signal level. As I said the Matrix seemed a touch quieter than the VHT with the same input. This will mean the amp sounds and reacts differntly (we know guitar just feels better the louder you go). if this is the case its no issue - just turn up the signal feed level.

2. EQ difference. This is to be expected. a SS amp "should" have a flat frequency response while the valve amp wont have. Again if this is the issue its not a problem, its just a case of tweeking the global EQ initially - and eventually re-tweeking patches for the new amp.

3. Valve mojo. it is possible that the extra body/punch/push whatever you want to call it is just down to valves (or more likely the speaker interaction with the output transformer on a valve amp). if this is the issue then theres no fix. You either put up with this difference for the size/weight/cost of the Matrix - or put up with thoses points for a valve amp.

So - I turned up the signal to the Matrix compared to the VHT by 2db. this certainly seemed to get them to the same kind of volume level. I also tweeked the global EQ. Basically adding 1db at 100hz and the same at 8khz. At quiet levels this made the two amps much closer. I may need to take out a little at 500hz maybe but I havent tried that yet. I have also not turned back up loud yet. Im hoping the EQ and signal strength will get the Matrix close. Certainly speaking to Mat at Matrix, the thump in the chest is normally around 90hz - so that could be the missing thing at volume. Im not 100% sure it will work yet, and it appeared (after the tweeks) that on clean sounds there was a touch more body to the sound on the Matrix - while on high gain the VHT had a touch more body. Im hoping that will be because of the patch EQs (in the amp block) otherwise the Matrix could be in trouble - that is if the cleans sound better on the Matrix but high gain on the VHT its not juts an EQ issue.

So - I need some more time to play, and particularly at high volume levels. The amp is certainly a good one. if I had no amp already Id probably pick up the Matrix over the VHT I think (due to cost/size/weight/reliability/servicing) - however as I already own the VHT its a harder call as to whether the Matrix will replace it at present. In a way that is a complement to the Matrix - the fact that Im considering replacing the VHT with this amp, and am prepared to work a little to get the two even closer. Its certainly better build, and sounds much better than the Art SLA (although thats from a year old memory of the one I had). I base that on the fact the VHT blew the Art away IMO, while the Matrix is giving me serious headaches making the choice. This amp is a real quality piece of equipment no doubt.

I will take some snaps when I get home, and work on the EQ when I can (around the kids/family). Ill also get some video clips done, of both the Matrix and VHTwith the same patches, both quiet (initially) and louder (when I can). ill also do a "switch on" of all 3 bits of kit (Axe, Matrix, VHT) so you get an idea of the fan noise levels. Any other thoughts I have, ill just add to this post so keep checking back if your interested in the amp.

Last edited:
Very informative info. Thanks for the detailed observations. Looks like a tough choice. The Matrix does look promising.

OT - heard mention that Atomic Amps may produce a 250w 1U SS Amp (Pro Audio amps?) for use with modelers. Any guesses?

Back on topic. Would the Matrix XT 800 mate with a single, passive frfr main/monitor 2-Way loudspeaker (am completely new to the power amp world)?

Thanks Paul.
I am looking at the Matrix also, to cut down on weight.
The VHT is great it is just really heavy.

Can you test a couple of modern higain patches please mate?
I mostly use FAS Modern model these days fwiw.

Jim

Paul,

Thanks for the surgical analyses! I like the idea the Matrix XT-800 comes so close to a tube amp! I only compared it with mine ART SLA 2 and Beyma's and I can only confirm your description. So the ART has left the building. Glad that the loud fan problem is solved.

I am curious wich amp will stay. Your decision is indeed more complex!

Greetings

BTW What stock guitar cabinet with drivers do you use? Do they also have an influence?

:mrgreen

Last edited:
Cab is a zikla 2x12 3/4 Back with a v30 and a g12h.

IMAP,found the VHT is 0 db input sensitivity. The matrix is 1.5 volts. 1.23 volts is +4db. This roughly means tthat the same signal of 0db fed into both amps should give about the same power of around 60 watts.

OK. done some investigation on specs and whatnot. Firstly there is no way I could tell if both amps were kicking out the same power or not. Heres why:

the Matrix has an input sensetivity of 1.2v. thats +4dbu (well 1.23v is but its close enough). That would give 250w into my 8 Ohm Cab. So, so +1db would give 125W (half power point0, and -2db would give 62.5Watts. So far so good.

The VHT has two sensetivities, being 0db and -10db. i actually had it set to -10db which would mean for the same 62Watts i would need to feed the XT800 an 8db hotter signal. the most i pushed was 2db. BUT, I didnt have the VHt up full !!. id set it so by ear the loudest clean i use was just off breaking up. So how much ws the VHT actually pushing out? no idea.

The axe's max o/P is 18 dbu (thats at the XLR O/P - so 12dbu at the jack O/P). So, i pushed the Axes O/P full and increased the gain on the global out until the output started clipping (without amp attached) I then backed off 12 bd, so that should give a 0db. i set the VHt to its 0db input and cranked it full. So thats the VHt 60 Watts. i then dropped the other global out to -2bd. Thats the Matrix also pushing 60watts now.

so - we have a level playing field on signal strength. HOLY COW !!! Thats MUCH better. Still a little diffence in EQ but the feel was much closer. i spent 30 mins or so playing with the EQs. i used a clean, a High Gain and Scotts JCM800 patch for reference. i ended up with +0.4db at 65hz, +0.3db at 125 hz, +0.1db at 4Khz, and +0.7db at 8Khz.

my god. i dont what to stop playing. There is NO DIFFERENCE. Well there may be a little but its so close. i finally got the camera out before the kids came home, and the battery was nearly flat. I got a quick demo done, but it is quick. what i intend to do is whatever people want. i can do shot clips of every patch/amp 9so one with clean and VHT, another with same clean and Matrix, another with crunch/VHt another Crunch/Matrix). I could do 2 clips, one of the VHT going through patches and another with the Matrix going through the same patches. finally i could do several clips each with one patch, but going between the two amps.

So who wants to see what? Its more for you guys and which way is easier for you to compare the amps.

Anyway, pics and the short vid will be posted as soon as YouTube does its thing. finally - no comments on the patches themselves please. its not about whats a good sound or not - its more about comparing the two amps which can be done with a good OR a bad patch as long as their the same.

For me, Im taking a couple of days for the initial "holy cow) to ware off - but im 95% sure the VHT is on its way
out !!

Pics are done, video is uploading.

P1020020.jpg

P1020021.jpg

P1020023.jpg

P1020022.jpg

And here is the first video. As I said short, noodling etc but it get the point I think. others will follow if wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djt-rh5wGes

Last edited:
MATRIX RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul,

Congrats! So probably you also will follow the white rabbit. :mrgreen
I knew this little beast was good but this is for me even more astonishing! The best part of it all is that you have one channel left. So in bridge mode even all the blasting Metal Die Hards will have a big smile on their faces!

I could not agreed more with your findings. This amp is a winner on so much aspects and now even the tube world will get a hard time.

Thanks for the photo's and video. Liked your beard :D BTW.

Much pleasure cooling of

:mrgreen

Great review Paul, were you using the presence knobs on the VHT at all?

Any chance of a higher than 240p review? Maybe 480p or 720p?

Thanks!

I actually liked the matrix tone better in the high gain, it sounded less congested. Man now I have matrix on my brain. Time to start selling my blood lol.

The VHT offers a wide range of tonal options - presence/saturation/class/depth...
What settings on the VHT best match the Matrix?

I had the prescence and depth fully off for this comparrison. i do (or did) use them to roughly EQ a room, but i didnt think it was fair for this test. the Matrix is flat, and the VHT without any prescence or depth is also flat. because they are basically EQing the amp, you could always compensate in the global at venues.

The VHT was set to Class A/B. Firstly this is the most common mode of a valve amplifyer, and the Matrix is also class A/B. As for Saturation - you dont want any with the Axe-FX. Having said that, it was set up as described, to be given a 0db input, then cranked.

I spoke to Matt this evening and there have apparently been some enquiries. he said to let people know he has 20 XT800s ready to go, all with the modded fans - however they have Speakon outputs NOT the combined ones. Once these 20 have gone (and its not just us raving about this amp, so is the PA world), all future amps will have the Combi Speakon/Jack outputs.

anyway - heres another short clip. This one is powering up the Axe, Matrix and VHT so you can see how loud/quiet the units fans are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5e6S_c9yO4

Last edited:
Thanks for this Paul.

The Matrix fan is still pretty noticeable in the vid.
I guess it is unrealistic to expect it to be as quiet as the Axe.
I reckon I am going to go for it.

I have a thread I am starting about something I have been talking to Paul @ Zilla about as well- basically a FRFR passive cab/wedge.
Have a look for it and let me know what you think.

EDIT: This is the thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/32298-UK-guys-How-about-a-Zilla-FRFR-Cab-Wedge.

Last edited:
Flat

Actually, your statement, "the VHT without any prescence or depth is also flat" is probably incorrect. Here is an email I received from Fryette about 6 months ago regarding the topic:

Michael,

Thank you for contacting FRYETTE AMPLIFICATION support.

Being a guitar voiced power amp, the design is not necessarily intended to produce a flat response. Also, since guitar speakers are anything but flat, the intraction between the speaker and amplifier will produce a decidedly non-linear response. Because of this interaction, “flatness” will be highly dependant on the speaker system used. For example, setting the depth and presence controls fully counter-clockwise may be flat with one speaker type, while turning the presence and depth to around 12-2 o’clock may be more linear with another speaker.

In the most general sense though, presence at around 9-10 o’clock and depth fully counterclockwise might be considered flat with a typical guitar speakers system.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

SFD Support Team

I had the prescence and depth fully off for this comparrison. i do (or did) use them to roughly EQ a room, but i didnt think it was fair for this test. the Matrix is flat, and the VHT without any prescence or depth is also flat. because they are basically EQing the amp, you could always compensate in the global at venues.

The VHT was set to Class A/B. Firstly this is the most common mode of a valve amplifyer, and the Matrix is also class A/B. As for Saturation - you dont want any with the Axe-FX. Having said that, it was set up as described, to be given a 0db input, then cranked.

I spoke to Matt this evening and there have apparently been some enquiries. he said to let people know he has 20 XT800s ready to go, all with the modded fans - however they have Speakon outputs NOT the combined ones. Once these 20 have gone (and its not just us raving about this amp, so is the PA world), all future amps will have the Combi Speakon/Jack outputs.

anyway - heres another short clip. This one is powering up the Axe, Matrix and VHT so you can see how loud/quiet the units fans are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5e6S_c9yO4

Fair enough. However I wasnt far off that TBH. I did have the depth counter clockwise as Steve suggests, and the Presence is just that. it would be easily compensated by raising the global 4/8khz bands.

I will have a play tomorrow with the prescence set at 9 to 10O'clock if you wish.

I do think your missing the point a little though. I have no vested interest. I own and love my VHT power amp, in fact Ive owned VHT heads for years before I got my Axe. I have a soft spot for the make, and Steve who Ive spoken to on many occasions. I do want to save weight in my rack but not at the expense of tone or feel. The prescence and Depth controls on the power amp are not pure EQ filters, however that is the main effect from them. I had a chat to someone tonight who also owns the VHT. He is a professional guitarist and also felt that the prescence and depth could be simulated in te Axe using the Thump, LF and HF transformer values, the bright cap value (if used) and prescence.

The fact the Matrix has come so close (albeit to the VHT with depth and prescence fully counter clockwise) without much tweeking, and very little EQing actually says a lot about both products. For the Matrix it shows a SS amp can give the 3d feel, and dynamics a quality valve amp can - and for the VHT that it is actulally very close to a neutral/Flat valve amplifier.

anyway - i will do a couple more clips when I can, at lower volumes (which will negate any valve amp compression/distortion from driving the VHT close to its rated 62 Watts) - and for these I will set the Prescence to 9/10 O'Clock - just for you :)

Back on topic. Would the Matrix XT 800 mate with a single, passive frfr main/monitor 2-Way loudspeaker (am completely new to the power amp world)?

Yep. Im looking at getting an Atomic passive FRFR, or having one build by Zilla - just so I have the option of either FRFR or guitar cab (or even both together), both powered by the Matrix. In fact I was thinking of doing this with the VHT before Id even heard much about Matrix TBH>

Actually, I currently have no interest in another power amp, so if you spend any more time testing, do not do it for my sake. I was just passing along the info from Fryette as an FYI.

Fair enough. However I wasnt far off that TBH. I did have the depth counter clockwise as Steve suggests, and the Presence is just that. it would be easily compensated by raising the global 4/8khz bands.

I will have a play tomorrow with the prescence set at 9 to 10O'clock if you wish.

I do think your missing the point a little though. I have no vested interest. I own and love my VHT power amp, in fact Ive owned VHT heads for years before I got my Axe. I have a soft spot for the make, and Steve who Ive spoken to on many occasions. I do want to save weight in my rack but not at the expense of tone or feel. The prescence and Depth controls on the power amp are not pure EQ filters, however that is the main effect from them. I had a chat to someone tonight who also owns the VHT. He is a professional guitarist and also felt that the prescence and depth could be simulated in te Axe using the Thump, LF and HF transformer values, the bright cap value (if used) and prescence.

The fact the Matrix has come so close (albeit to the VHT with depth and prescence fully counter clockwise) without much tweeking, and very little EQing actually says a lot about both products. For the Matrix it shows a SS amp can give the 3d feel, and dynamics a quality valve amp can - and for the VHT that it is actulally very close to a neutral/Flat valve amplifier.

anyway - i will do a couple more clips when I can, at lower volumes (which will negate any valve amp compression/distortion from driving the VHT close to its rated 62 Watts) - and for these I will set the Prescence to 9/10 O'Clock - just for you :)

No offence taken. Any info like that from the designer of a product is great. If it means a better or fairer comparison I'm all for it. If steve thinks presence should be 9/10 o,clock for a flat response that's good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom