Matrix vs. Tube poweramp

Well I got the 2:90 hooked it up and WOW what a difference. Sure the thing weighs a ton but the sound quality difference between the ultra+matrix and the ultra+2:90 is ridiculous. It's not even close, or slightly close, or in the same area code. The matrix I will admit sounded ok and the weight is absolutely a plus but for loud styles of music with gain, tubes and iron win the race.

Exactly. Matrix is nice but cannot compare to a tube amp.

I had the mesa 2:90...through mesa everything sounds mesa, it colours alot. If u want your patches to sound like fenders, vox, marshall....than matrix rules.
Agreed. I had a Mesa 2:90 prior to the Matrix GT1600FX. Matrix sounds better and is lighter with no maintenance. Trust me!

Try the GT1600FX as it has the balls from the Mesa. Not sure about the matrix 800 and 1000 versions.

Agreed. I had a Mesa 2:90 prior to the Matrix GT1600FX. Matrix sounds better and is lighter with no maintenance. Trust me!

Try the GT1600FX as it has the balls from the Mesa. Not sure about the matrix 800 and 1000 versions.

"Trust No One" ;)

For those of you with a Fryette 2/90/2 or 2/50/2... how is the low end? I've read a few reviews saying that these power amps were pretty flat and almost "solid state" sounding without the low-end "thump".

Is there any truth to that? I'm on the hunt for something to replace a Matrix GTFX1000 which just isn't cutting it for me. Previously I was running the Axe through the effects loop of a Mark V. The mesa models sounded amazing, but I would like the versatility of using other models as well. This really had a great feel and cut through the mix in a way that the Matrix just can't compare to.

For those of you with a Fryette 2/90/2 or 2/50/2... how is the low end? I've read a few reviews saying that these power amps were pretty flat and almost "solid state" sounding without the low-end "thump".

Is there any truth to that? I'm on the hunt for something to replace a Matrix GTFX1000 which just isn't cutting it for me. Previously I was running the Axe through the effects loop of a Mark V. The mesa models sounded amazing, but I would like the versatility of using other models as well. This really had a great feel and cut through the mix in a way that the Matrix just can't compare to.

2/90/2 pretty neutral. Decent thump, not as much as a full size head. I went up to the 2150 and the full size transformers yield full size tone. Smaller iron sounds smaller.

i just sold my Matrix GT1000FX and going back to a tube poweramp.

Used the GT1000FX with the AXE FX2 and with a JMP1 as well, and didnt like it compared to a few tube amps i have tried.

For me its is also usefull to have some quick tweak option with a presence and depth knob ( VHT 2502 ) ;)

Never saying the Matrix is it not worth, it all depends on peoples individual taste of the tone.

Im kinda surprised by your problem. I use the ultra with a cheapo artsla2 and the other guitar player in my band uses a EVH 5153 and I have Zero problems disappearing in the mix. Im worried it might not be your poweramp and maybe its the settings on the patches. Try borrowing a tube poweramp before you ditch the matrix, that way you'll definitely know for sure that's the problem.

Good luck to you!

Im kinda surprised by your problem. I use the ultra with a cheapo artsla2 and the other guitar player in my band uses a EVH 5153 and I have Zero problems disappearing in the mix. Im worried it might not be your poweramp and maybe its the settings on the patches. Try borrowing a tube poweramp before you ditch the matrix, that way you'll definitely know for sure that's the problem.

Good luck to you!

I agree with dwg115, something is wrong with the settings on your patches, not your power amp.

The matrix can crush, if you need it to, as long as things are set up properly up stream.

I had a Mesa 50/50 to start with, and it coloured the tone something chronic (exactly what you don't want from a power amp). So I got a VHT 2/50/2, and it was a lot more neutral. Better results, but it weighed a ton, and that's what led me to the Matrix. Never looked back, and now I literally don't see the point of valve/tube power amps anymore. Whatever the power stage 'adds', can easily be dialled in to the Axe-Fx presets. In the case of the VHT, I found there was a slight 'sweetness' to the midrange. Once I'd added this to my presets instead, I was thrilled at the results. All the power amp should do it make it louder.

I beg to differ with a lot of these comments... I get a lot of great tones out of the Mesa 2:Ninety (Marshall, Fender, whatever). I ran out an bought a Matrix after reading all the evangelistic hype.

While I'm sure Matrix is a great amplifier for others in their situation, but for "me" it didn't come close, even with much tweaking. It was no contest.

Trust me, I'm not happy about carrying a 35 lb amplifier. I was very disappointed the Matrix didn't work out for "me". However, your experience may be different.

The bottom line is it's great to have options, the challenge is finding what works best for you. Take it all in with a grain of salt and do your homework.

Yes, my experience was different. Particularly once i moved from the Ultra to the Axe-Fx II anyway. It became apparent to me how much progress Cliff had made with the power amp modelling. Its insanely good now.

I promised myself I wouldn't get into this, but hey, it's a Sunday and being England, it's raining .. again, so ...

I'd agree with that last comment, the latest firmware is totally awesome, and if the next release is another step closer, as I suspect it will be, then the differences are becoming very small indeed. AxeFX has come a long way in the last couple of years, with the right gear to play through, it is now very VERY close to the "real thing".

We don't think it's that the Matrix has "solid state tone" as someone suggested earlier, it's that it doesn't have the coloration and distortion of a valve power head, but that part is supposed to come from the AxeFX anyway. We don't see "the Matrix does not sound like a Mesa" as a negative, but rather as a positive thing. As Cliff's modelling gets closer and closer to the "real thing" the overall result is getting more accurate ... the guys using valve heads with power amp sims off are of course missing all these improvements.

If you are running power amp sims ON into a valve head then you are getting a "double processed" sound, you may of course like that sound, but it's not what either Cliff or Matrix set out to achieve, so again, if you are loving the sound, great. It's not what we set out to do though, but it may be perfectly fine for you, if you are loving it, keep doing it, that's perfectly fine by us.

If you are using the distortion in the valve power amp as part of your sound, you will struggle to re-create that sound when it comes to recording direct from the AxeFX, unless you begin mic'ing up the cabs etc, and then we are back to the collection of problems many of us came here to escape in the first place.

We set out to create a neutral sounding power amp, without the harshness typically associated with solid state amps to let the AxeFX shine through. The whole purpose was to let Cliff's modelling work speak for itself, and simply make it louder. We think we achieved that goal, we accept that some people prefer the hybrid tones they are creating with two lots of power amp effects, or by adding a particular color to all their patches, but we believe the place to add to color and distortion is in the AxeFX, not in the downstream chain.

We are confident the GT-FX series amps offer the best choice of a compact, light-weight amplifier that will allow the AxeFX to show it's true capabilities. Given the number of artists now using the AxeFX direct to FOH, with Matrix on stage, we think Cliff is pretty much there, and we are proud to be alongside. If it can work for so many A list artists, it certainly can work for you too. Its a journey towards accurate and flexible tone creation, and we are happy to assist you in that journey by simply making what comes out of the AxeFX louder, if that's what you are searching for.

I got my Matrix 9 days ago I love it with the Axe II xl. Everything is so quiet it is mind boggling with the great tone I am getting. It is a perfect match.

I put my Mesa rectifier in the closet, I have no use for it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom