Matrix vs. Tube poweramp

Invidious

I am new to the axefx ultra and I love it thus far. However during practices I am noticing that distinct solid state tone that Ill admit I am not overly crazy about. So,, that being said I have a question.

If I was to go get a tube power amp, like a mesa rectifier power amp or something with 6L6s, will it warm the axefx up and give it more ooomph? Right now the matrix is not overly floating my boat. It's loud as all heck but I am finding that it's just not giving me the push I have always loved with tubes.

I am going into a 4x12

Thoughts? Advice?

Last edited:
IMHO, if you are using a guitar cab and are just looking for killer tone and feel with the Ultra, a tube power amp is an awesome thing. As long as you don't mind the trade offs: weight, one power amp tone/feel, and maintenance (the occasional retubing), there are lots of great used tube power amps out there and the Ultra is a world class device when employed as a preamp in a traditional rig.

Have a look at the the Mesa 50/50. Those come up fairly regularly used and are great power amps.

Yes, I could not get along with the matrix when is sat beside my vht 2/90/2 and 2150.

The matrix sounded awesome until put up against the real poweramps. Couldn't hang.

Sure you lose a small amount of versatility not using the power amp sims but the preamps still sound vastly different from each other.

I also enjoy putting my effects in the traditional "fx loop" location between pre and power amp.

Not to throw a wrench in the works but the ultra never satisfied me, I couldn't wait to get rid of it and get back to my real amps, the axe fx 2 however had me sell 8 tube amp heads. YMMV.

Yes, I could not get along with the matrix when is sat beside my vht 2/90/2 and 2150.

The matrix sounded awesome until put up against the real poweramps. Couldn't hang.

Sure you lose a small amount of versatility not using the power amp sims but the preamps still sound vastly different from each other.

I also enjoy putting my effects in the traditional "fx loop" location between pre and power amp.

Not to throw a wrench in the works but the ultra never satisfied me, I couldn't wait to get rid of it and get back to my real amps, the axe fx 2 however had me sell 8 tube amp heads. YMMV.

You don't have to stop using the power amp sims with a tube power amp. I used them all the time powering the Axe II with a Mesa 2:90. It sounded great although everything had a bit of Mesa color to it but that's not a bad thing.

I bought the ultra to see if I even liked the axefx set up in general while staying on a relative budget. I liked it so when the II comes down to a price I can afford, I will buy one. Trust me, I salivate every day at the thought of owning a II but it's not in the budget at the moment.

So now, I have to find a buyer for the matrix and get myself something else. Anyone looking for a matrix :)

I bought the ultra to see if I even liked the axefx set up in general while staying on a relative budget. I liked it so when the II comes down to a price I can afford, I will buy one. Trust me, I salivate every day at the thought of owning a II but it's not in the budget at the moment.

So now, I have to find a buyer for the matrix and get myself something else. Anyone looking for a matrix :)

I get your budget issues, but the power amp modelling has come a LONG way since the Ultra. If you tried a II on FW 13, you might lose any desire to replace your nice light Matrix with a heavy tube amp. The good news is with the XL coming soon there will be more deals on used IIs.

I won't be able to afford the II for at least 6 months so in the meantime I need something to work. Ill be able to get a matrix later if need be.

Now... the choice remains... what would you guys choose...

MESA 2:90

MESA 50/50

Both about the same price used... what is the difference?

I had the mesa 2:90...through mesa everything sounds mesa, it colours alot. If u want
your patches to sound like fenders, vox, marshall....than matrix rules.

Yes but the problem is that the tones aren't cutting through. I am using some good tones and they just aren't cutting through properly. I just don't want that SS sound yah know? On my own the patches sound crushing but as soon as the band chimes in... poof... vanish. I am using the Diezel and Powerball amps with some other tweaks and I just seem to disappear in the mix. The matrix is loud as hell but it just doesn't cut into the mix the way I need to be in there.

the 2:90 has a lot more "ooomph" to it than the 50/50 does.
I'd go with the 2:90 (I had the 50/50 for a while with mark models sounded great , with the Recto models ....meh)
but this is back on FW6 so I'm sure it's much different now.

you'll get a mesa 6L6 flavor with. Not necessarily a bad thing but the EL-34 based models will sound different.
What are your "go to" models that you spend the most time using?

I really wouldn't worry about the 2:90 coloring your sound. For years I used the Triaxis with the 2:90 & 4 1-12's, then the Axe II thru the 2:90 & 4 1-12s, then the Axe with 2 CLRs with cab sims & you know what, I sound like me on all of them.

Well I got the 2:90 hooked it up and WOW what a difference. Sure the thing weighs a ton but the sound quality difference between the ultra+matrix and the ultra+2:90 is ridiculous. It's not even close, or slightly close, or in the same area code. The matrix I will admit sounded ok and the weight is absolutely a plus but for loud styles of music with gain, tubes and iron win the race.

You don't have to stop using the power amp sims with a tube power amp. I used them all the time powering the Axe II with a Mesa 2:90. It sounded great although everything had a bit of Mesa color to it but that's not a bad thing.

Tou do if you want to sound like a traditional guitar rig, thiose super hyped sounds made by doubling up the filtering are anything but traditional and in my opinion horrid sounding. Im trying to replicate pretty well mnow traditional tones.

Back
Top Bottom