Matrix vs. QSC?

sirus1987

Inspired
Anyone have experience with both? Or any other power amps for that matter and also what helps create the most realistic, tube-like tone?

+1, i'm mostly interested in people's experience with the qsc k12, as that would be my first option

+1, i'm mostly interested in people's experience with the qsc k12, as that would be my first option

I have a friend with an axe fx 2 who bought the QSCK12 and thinks they are fantastic. I trust his judgement as he is a great player. He did a lot of research and decided they were the ones for him. I intend to get one as well, probably with the ply enclosure instead which is more expensive and a bit heavier than the ABS one he bought. He said his one was loud and very open sounding and great with all the IR's, in other words he loved it. I tried my axefx2 with a matrix power amp and a celestion greenback and it sounded awesome, but your limited to one speaker sound, and a voxac30 sounds bests with Blue or silver alnico's. QSC would be my choice. The matrix ones are a a different speaker arrangement which I am not as convinced are as efficient as a separate driver and high frequency horn for what that's worth. QSC is like a proper PA speaker and the specs on them are very good. In a lot of head to head comparisons with other powered wedges the QSCk12's were given a favorable review.

Last edited:
I have K8s, K10s, and K12s. I accually like the 10s best. I run them around 95 Db and easily go to 100. 12s are a little to bassey and heavier. On both I tend to use the external sub switch to cut bass.

I have had K12's for five years and love them. I use them in conjunction with passive CLR's driven buy a Carvin 1504L. Together they sound awesome.

The bass is not a problem if you use your bass roll-off tools the Axe FX is loaded with.

I do place 4 inch square doubled patches of gaffers tape directly over the tweeters of the K12's and the CLR's.
Helps reduce the treble glare or beaminess.

I don't play metal so that may be why I'm so satisfied by this rig. I don't need bone-crushing brootalz.

Also it's nice that I can play bass, acoustic and keyboard through the same rig with no changes.

QSC K-12 but for the life of me, everything I touch turns to flubby bass, have to tweak like mad or even remove bass completely, The QSC only has a couple of EQ options too, but still tweaking and living the dream. Good luck mate. If anyone can solve my bass problem starting with tweaking the QSC before I even touch Axe controls I would also love to know btw

Position matters. I stand my k12 upright. Run flat, with the switch set for no ext sub. I experimented with having the sub switch on, it would lower bass, but the FOH would have to cut a lot. Find a good ir, on amp block try pushing up the low cut around 120, cab block I cut highs at 6-8k. Once u find what works for you, it's pretty easy.

I had a Matrix 1000 fx and a Boogie 2 50 used them with Boogie Thiele 1x12's with Celestions which I liked better than the EV's ..Some folks think the Matrix is cold but it does have a very tight low either is a excellent choice but for the real deal the Friedman asm12's are the shiz

The matrix is a very good power amp. It is very neutral imo and any colouration it does impart to the sound is positive.
It's success though will depend on your cab though of course.
It's pointless comparing it to the qsc if you are using a guitar cab.
I use a frfr cab (the matrix fr212 which is awesome) but I have the option of using a regular cab and turning cab sims off.
So best of both worlds.
I also find the sounds I create translate very well to direct foh with little or no tweaking.
I've tried several active pa type cabs, but not the qsc. Whilst they all sounded ok I get far better amp in the room with the matrix solution.

QSC K-12 but for the life of me, everything I touch turns to flubby bass, have to tweak like mad or even remove bass completely, The QSC only has a couple of EQ options too, but still tweaking and living the dream. Good luck mate. If anyone can solve my bass problem starting with tweaking the QSC before I even touch Axe controls I would also love to know btw
I started out as a bass player who then moved to guitar about 30 years ago. One of the most important things I learned playing bass was more bass is NOT your friend.

Try getting rid of the bass and then slowly add back lower mids. Your probably looking for cabinet knock which is in the low mids. Then try bringing back just a touch of bass.

BTW, the CLR does cabinet knock better than the K12. I think it's just the box it comes in. The CLR is rigid heavy plywood and the K12 is plastic. The K12 has a 'thump' while the CLR has a 'thunk'.

Again, I roll off my bass pretty hard but there is low mids so it still sounds deep

I currently have a pair of QSC K10, a pair of Matrix Q12 passive cabinets with their rack power amp and a quad of the CLR (pair of neo wedge and a pair of the cubes - all powered).

The QSC sound great as a vocal PA but no matter how much I cut the lows and highs in my AxeFX, I could never get past the bloated bass and the plastic sounding tweeter. I don't run my guitar through them anymore.

The Matrix Q12 sound much better and more like a guitar amp and speaker to me. I still use them from time-to-time. Great form factor and they work well as a PA too.

The CLR was the final solution for me running my AxeFX though the front end. My guitar sounds exactly like I want it to sound and our singer sounds really clean and clear through the CLR.

The CLR was the final solution for me going direct to the board with the band.

BA

I should have been more clear. I wasnt talking about powered speakers, I'm referring to their solid state power amps like the QSC PLD series vs the Matrix gt1000fx. I currently own the QSC PLD 4.2, but want to know how it stacks up to the Matrix stuff or some of the other SS power amps out there. Also, Im running it into a marshall 1960A with celestion 75s and V30s in an "X" pattern.

I am using A 2 u GT1000FX was very good although it is a class D amplifier but it is to simulate A/B class and grade can be adjusted within the AXE tendency if you choose to dye so loud after class I feel not very good

I am using A 2 u GT1000FX was very good although it is a class D amplifier but it is to simulate A/B class and grade can be adjusted within the AXE tendency if you choose to dye so loud after class I feel not very good

It is NOT Class D, it is a Class A/B amp.

Anyone have experience with both? Or any other power amps for that matter and also what helps create the most realistic, tube-like tone?

I get my tube-like tone from the Axe-Fx II and send that out through the very transparent and neutral Matrix GT1000FX.
I assume it will be the same with other amps if they are just as neutral.

I get my tube-like tone from the Axe-Fx II and send that out through the very transparent and neutral Matrix GT1000FX.
I assume it will be the same with other amps if they are just as neutral.
Im using the QSC PLD 4.2 now and it's pretty good, but there's like this high, almost glassy overtone to every preset and I know its not the axe. I think its the signal processing of the QSC. I wanna try the matrix but dont really wanna drop cash right now.

Back
Top Bottom