Matrix = sterile for me... need a tube power amp? Help !

Never underestimate the psychological impact of scooping the mids. It always sounds "better" at first but after a while it gets fatiguing and will make your tone get buried.

This is the #1 reason so many metal bands sound like muddy canned ass live. The guitar tone gets lost in the mix so the guitarist turns up until they can hear themselves. These are the same guys that swear they can't get their tone without cranking up and that modelers get lost in the mix. I sometimes wonder why metal bands have bass players.

Nice! Please let know what you think! Like this post when you respond. So, I can see it.

We're you referring to my new setup? I think so but just making sure. I should have it in the next two weeks. :D Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is going to sound great.

Yes sir! I have an old carvin t100 and I was curious what other people thought of the ts-100's. Obviously, an orange cab won't disappoint. Other than feeling like you're two-manning a hump back whale when you haul it

Just a little circle back. I picked up a non-working Mesa 2:Fifty from a friend to try out, figuring I'd probably need to re-tube it. Turned out it was just unplugged at the back of the rack. :p

Gotta say, there's just no comparison to my ears. A/B'ing the Matrix against the Mesa is like night and day. Granted, I didn't build patches specifically with the Matrix in mind, this is just stock patches with power amp modeling turned OFF and cabs disabled. Man, I can't stop playing this thing now. Might have to rethink my live rig (direct to FOH and to a Matrix CLR for stage volume). Of course, I use IEM's live so I guess I wouldn't really be getting the benefit, but whoosh. If the Matrix sounded anything like this no one would be having this discussion right now.

Just a little circle back. I picked up a non-working Mesa 2:Fifty from a friend to try out, figuring I'd probably need to re-tube it. Turned out it was just unplugged at the back of the rack. :p

Gotta say, there's just no comparison to my ears. A/B'ing the Matrix against the Mesa is like night and day. Granted, I didn't build patches specifically with the Matrix in mind, this is just stock patches with power amp modeling turned OFF and cabs disabled. Man, I can't stop playing this thing now. Might have to rethink my live rig (direct to FOH and to a Matrix CLR for stage volume). Of course, I use IEM's live so I guess I wouldn't really be getting the benefit, but whoosh. If the Matrix sounded anything like this no one would be having this discussion right now.

what were you running each power amp into for the comparison?

what were you running each power amp into for the comparison?

Cab wise? A /13 2x12 with a G12H and a Hellatone 30, and a single 12" cab with a V30 in it.

Neither sounded particularly good with the Matrix, both sound great with the Mesa.

Again, maybe you can build patches to work better with the Matrix, though thats what I actually did a couple years back and ultimately just gave up on it and started using a powered wedge instead. Granted, the Mesa isn't going to be as foolproof, what with it having tubes in it and all, and its obviously bigger and heavier, but for use with passive speakers, it just sounds better to me. Ymmv, obviously.

Been following the thread and have to say sadly after 18 months, which isn't necessarily a long time at all, I'm still nowhere near..but appreciate I have so much more to learn..I just wished that I could get that 'overall ---hard' ness to soften and I could get more warmth with my presets. I have both the GT1000FX fx and a Q12a and I'm running a traditional cab as well ( 1x12 Two Rock with a Creamback) I can't say that I agree that the sound is dull or sterile but it certainly has a hardness to it. I'm not giving up just yet for sure..

I had a Matrix GT1000FX, I felt the same... then I bought a Crown XSL2500. It's solid-state, but it stands up to my Mesa 2:Ninety, but it only weights about 10lb, and more versatile. The only downside is it's 2U, but then again so is a 2:Ninety.

The price is nice for what you get and it's built solid. It's been very reliable over the past year, and I used it with both Real Cab and FRFR setups.

XLS 2500 | Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers

I recommended it to a friend... he's thrilled with his too. In fact; I believe he and his other guitar player are both using each side as independent channels. Pretty wild.

Looked a the Crown specs - I'm ignorant when it comes to this: The Crown is 4ohm or 8ohm - What if my cab is 16 ohm?

When I use my JVM 410H power section with the Axe, it's not nearly as loud as when I plug in directly and use the preamp (no Axe).
If I'm looking at the Crown 1500 would I be gaining a lot of headroom compared to the JVM?

I have the Matrix GT1600FX and don't use it at all. I use the VHT 2/90/2 and its great! I also have the Mesa stereo rectifier 2:100 and it will kick you in the gut hard! The 2/90/2 is my fave though.

I use to use a Mesa 2:90. Great amp but the Matrix GT1600FX sounds as punchy and doesn't color sound. Amp sims sound better and vary so much more now.

Not sure why, but the Axe FX through the 2:90 sounded kinda dark to me, not sure why.... I have really good luck running through my Landry G3 loop

Back
Top Bottom