Matrix = sterile for me... need a tube power amp? Help !

johnloux

Hey tone God's I need some input here. I have the AXEFX 2 and I bought a Matrix GT800FX to power it but honestly it sounds quite sterile to me. The guys at Matrix had me try a couple of things but it just muddied up the sound. I was missing the push back a tube amp gives when you crank it up. Ya know, the feeling you get when the amp seems to be playing itself and it just allows you to play better. Will I be any happier with a real tube power amp? Theoretically I am thinking yes but it seems like as soon as you turn off the power amp setting on the Fractal everything starts sounding generic. Looking at a Boogie 50/50 or the Carvin TS100. Maybe leaving the power amp setting on with a real tube power amp is the trick.
My thought is to crank the real tube power amp up all the way and keep the Fractal preamp output lower to achieve what I want.

Also just considering using the Fractal as an FX unit and running it in the ef. loop of a Carvin Legacy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Peace, :)

John

Based on what I've seen here on the forum, I'd go with the Boogie 50/50. I use the Matrix GT1000FX and love it but everyone is different.

Do you mind mentioning what speakers you are using with the Matrix?

Thanks man I appreciate it. This was the route I was leaning toward after months of trying to "find the zone". :)

...Looking at a Boogie 50/50 or the Carvin TS100. Maybe leaving the power amp setting on with a real tube power amp is the trick. ...

Hey John,

I own a GT800FX, and before that I had a Carvin TS100. Based upon my experience with the TS100, it will not get you what you're after. I felt the TS100 and the GT800FX sounded and felt very similar. I compared both amps with Power Amp sims On in the Axe. The Matrix had a little more in the mids area, but the feel was about the same. Due to the size and weight of the Matrix, I kept it and sold the TS100.

Sounds like you might dig the Fryette 2/50/2 or 2/90/2. kmanick (another forumite) uses a 2/90/2, and he moved to that after using a Matrix GT1000FX and not quite getting what he was after. Perhaps he'll chime in here, or you could probably PM him for more info.

Went through a few tube power amps, VHT 2/50/2, Carvin TS100, Atomic 50/50. Of those three, the Atomic was the most responsive and was the best match with the Axe Fx. I moved on to SS with a Carvin DCM1540L, awesome amp for under $400. I don't feel like I sacrificed anything tone or "feel" wise. The amp "gives" a little and doesn't seem sterile or harsh like some SS amps.

I know that people in here don't like cheap gear but I got my Magnum 44 pretty close to a Mesa 50/50 with some global eq tweaking.

Here's a clip:

[soundcloud] http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/mesa-2x50-vs-ehx-magnum-44[/soundcloud]

I felt the same way when I got my GT800FX, it just sounded thin , sterile and no thud compared to running into the loop of my 100w valve head. I almost sold it straight away but because so many people have raved about this amp I decided to persist and give it a decent run. I started my patches from scratch, and most days come back to it with fresh ears and tweak it a little. I often try out new patches live to see how they sit in the mix. I feel now my patches are getting really good, the desk recordings are sounding almost radio quality. My tone live just rips, it's about 90% to being perfect. I'm glad I've persisted as it has paid off.
There is a drawback using a Valve amp, every patch has the same power amp color. I would recommend spending some more time with the Matrix.

I have been playing tube amps all of my life. Some of the amps I owned (or still own) vintage Fenders, Bludotone, Carol Ann, Fuchs, Victoria, Tungsten, Blankenship (list goes on :lol).

If weight was not a factor for me any more, I would still be hauling around a tube rig for my gigs.

When it comes right down to it -- nothing beats the feel and tone of a great quality tube amp. End of story (at least in my book).

That being said, because of health issues, I really needed to find a lighter rig if I still wanted to continuing doing the 40 or so gigs a year I do.

I purchased an Axe in Feb 2013 -- and I have to tell you, the Matrix GT1000FX is one of the main reasons I am gigging with the Axe as my preamp and not a tube amp.

I play mostly R&B/soul. If I would have found the Matrix "sterile" I would have dumped it on day one. When I play loud (live) -- the organic give and take of a tube amp is there for me with the Matrix.

the Matrix Gt1000Fx in combination with the Q12 made dialing in the patches very easy. I also recently got the NL12 cabs (not FRFR) and dialing in the patches for using these cabs where a piece of cake as well.

Personally I find this 1U 8 pound solid state unit extremely satisfying and far from being sterile.

Last edited:
What surprises me is why no one seems to be trying out the Retro Channel power amps, especially now they are only $699.

They are heavier than the Matrix by a fair bit - the Matrix is incredibly light and I can appreciate why people like that - but the Retro is lighter than most tube power amps and, for me, the Axe II and Retro combination actually does finally replace my amps. I have a Mesa MkV and a Marshall YJM, which is a tricked up Plexi Super Lead, and rarely play them any more since getting the Retro. I can get what they give me with so much more control now.

Just curious as to why so few folk on here seem inclined to try them out.

Would love to hear some clips/videos with someone other than Lance playing.

Lance is a great player and has his own sound. So he basically sounds pretty much like "Lance" (great I might add) regardless of what amp he plays through.

For me at 22 pounds and 2u it would not work anyway -- but it would be nice to see more player clips.

Lance is a cool cat and knows his gear so I am sure any product he is behind is an outstanding one!

What surprises me is why no one seems to be trying out the Retro Channel power amps, especially now they are only $699.

They are heavier than the Matrix by a fair bit - the Matrix is incredibly light and I can appreciate why people like that - but the Retro is lighter than most tube power amps and, for me, the Axe II and Retro combination actually does finally replace my amps. I have a Mesa MkV and a Marshall YJM, which is a tricked up Plexi Super Lead, and rarely play them any more since getting the Retro. I can get what they give me with so much more control now.

Just curious as to why so few folk on here seem inclined to try them out.

Last edited:
I know that people in here don't like cheap gear but I got my Magnum 44 pretty close to a Mesa 50/50 with some global eq tweaking.

Here's a clip:

[soundcloud] http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/mesa-2x50-vs-ehx-magnum-44[/soundcloud]

That's awesome! I just sold my Art SLA becuase of the weight and had a magnum for a backup. Its in my rack now and I just did a gig with it and thought hmmm for the money, the weight and size maybe I should just live with this and hold off on a matrix!

I used to have a TS100. It was great for the time but weight a ton. I am using now ART-SLA2 and I am very happy with it with one channel doing FRFR with a FBT wedge and the other driving a 2x12 cab vith V30 and it is loud and intoxicating.
My observation is the amp plays a small part in the sound. You need to get the Axe setup right for a great sound. I have seen many positive comments on the Matrix so I am a little surprised to hear it is not doing it for you.

I was using a Mesa 20/20 before I went to the Matrix GT1000FX because it was 1U, weighed only 20 lbs, and sounded killer. I went to the Matrix for 2 reasons only: weight and the reliability of tubes. I still have my 20/20 and wouldn't hesitate use it again in a heartbeat if the Matrix was unavailable for some reason.

I have no experience with the GT800FX, but I do with the GT1000FX
I can't say that I've found it sterile at all..
just very neutral and very loud

I guess this means that the tonal magic comes from the Axe [how the presets are set up] and how well they're dialled into the monitors / cabs

Back
Top Bottom