Matrix Q12a is out

Do you think it is actually possible for Matrix to create a passive FR 4x12 cab with coaxial drivers, so it 'looks' like a traditional 4x12, but has the non-directional all encompassing quality of the Q12a ?
Whenever you put multiple drivers together, you're going to narrow the coverage along at least one axis, and complicate the frequency response because of phase issues between the drivers. A 4x12 would give narrower coverage both horizontally and vertically.

It's that thing called a "work day" Tonight I let it sing......although I will not be able to get to stage volume....damn it :)

Quick words

So I have had the Q12A for a few days. Not much opportunity to play loud,or at all, due to work but I can say a few things.

1) It arrived in perfect condition just like other gear I have ordered from the Matrix crew.
2) I know it is rated at 80X80 for dispersion but it seems wider to me, love that.
3) Loud ? Well i never got my NX wide open, I dare not open this thing up. It is plenty loud at half gain on the amp and 8 o'clock on the AF2. The unit is quiet. Can barely hear the fan.
4) Form, have a look at the picture. I like it a lot. It is light and small. Sorry for sideways picture....don't know how to fix that.
5) Sounds, to me it is more guitar amp sounding than any Powered wedge I have used ( QSC,Yamaha,NX) etc. It may be becasue the GM50 is not as flat....more guitar focused if I may say. It has two ports on the front, bass comes out of there nice and smooth. Cleans, crunch, hi gain !!!
Two things left for me to do before I complete my analysis. Do a side by side with the NX which is a phenomenal wedge, and use it at full band practice. Unfortunately we just finished a show and have a break.
I wish the underside had rubber bars instead of the wood. This would grip better on my rig, small and easy thing to fix. More playing ,listening, testing to do.

Real happy so far.

I have a dilemma, and need some coaxing of sorts.

Ordered a pair of Q12p and a GTFX1000 2u yesterday, which will ship on monday. However, I'm struggling with whether I should just go with a pair of Q12a only. I curently play my axe fx ii through a pair of mackie hr824 mkii, which sound great and hint at something that made me want to go with the Q12 - fullness. I can only imagine how much fuller a 12 will be over an 8.

Anyway, don't play live (may once or twice a year to a small crowd) and primarily just jam and record in my studio. Is the Q12p/GTFX1000 combo overkill? Is a pair of Q12a? If anyone can give me a compelling argument one way or the other so i can change my order before anything ships, i would be eternally grateful!

Raze

Chances are the GTFX1000 is a better overall unit than the GT50 (the poweramp included in the active version. But the active cabs are certainly optimized in terms of power transfer between the amp and the loudspeaker, so in the end it comes down to logistics and easiness of use IMO :)

I did my first big gig with my Axe-Fx II and two Matrix Q12a's a couple of days ago, and I'm very pleased! I had the Q12a's close behind me on two angled tripod amp stands with the Axe-Fx on top, the Q12a's gain were about only 30% up (and I had a loud drummer right next to me..), and the Axe-Fx output was set around 65%. I used a couple of XLR split cables sending the same signal both to the FOH/PA and the Q12a's. The sound guy was happy, I was happy (and I hope the audience were happy too); it sounded really good on all patches, clean, crunchy or high gain (and I used quite a few different patches, since this was a cover gig) It felt like having a really good guitar amp behind me (or rather many different ones..;-) Matrix Q12a is a winner for me ;-)

Finally! that CLR is taking the lead... we need more Matrix q12a reviews/videos. This evolvement is going fast, IMHO I think Matrix needs to realize the competition and do something about it when it comes to marketing! The axe-fx'ers could mean a loooot of customers and as it is now everyone is sniffing at the CLR.. why? well if you go to youtube and search for "matrixamplification q12a" or just "matrix q12a" there is not that many videos. Videos don't cost much to make! You should be filling up youtube by now!

Matrix: Show us with enough high quality videos on youtube why we should buy the matrix q12a and we will! Get more demos of it going with different styles and uses, angles (to show the 80x80 spread) etc. etc.

By all means, take your time. But face it, time is..... well, not money but potentional customers. And as things are now those customers are turning towards the CLR.

Mooooaaaaaar! <3

Finally! that CLR is taking the lead... we need more Matrix q12a reviews/videos. This evolvement is going fast, IMHO I think Matrix needs to realize the competition and do something about it when it comes to marketing! The axe-fx'ers could mean a loooot of customers and as it is now everyone is sniffing at the CLR.. why? well if you go to youtube and search for "matrixamplification q12a" or just "matrix q12a" there is not that many videos. Videos don't cost much to make! You should be filling up youtube by now!

Matrix: Show us with enough high quality videos on youtube why we should buy the matrix q12a and we will! Get more demos of it going with different styles and uses, angles (to show the 80x80 spread) etc. etc.

By all means, take your time. But face it, time is..... well, not money but potentional customers. And as things are now those customers are turning towards the CLR.

Mooooaaaaaar! <3

Or just accept that the CLR is killin' it and and move on ;)

Or just accept that the CLR is killin' it and and move on ;)

I thought this was a thread about the Matrix Q12A, not the Atomic CLR..? Well, I haven't tried the Atomics myself, and I'm sure they're great, but after my first few weeks with the Matrix Q12a's, I'm really convinced about these :)

Back
Top Bottom