Matrix Q12a is out

Well my Q12a arrived about a week ago and I've spent a LOT of time this past week exploring FRFR and all it has to offer. It has been a great new experience, as I've always used traditional cabs with a Matrix GT800FX with the Axe. The traditional cab setup sounded great, but always had that Vintage 30 "blanket" to the tone. Not in a bad way, and V30's are probably the best match for a good chunk of the amp sims in the Axe. However, I bought the Axe for versatility and accuracy. So I could get cranked sounds of any amp at any volume. I am a firm believer that the speakers and cab an amp uses are a HUGE part of what makes it sound like it does. I used to build tube amps (hence the name Dragg Amps) and I would say the tone stack design and speaker are the two single biggest elements of an amplifier that give them their signature tone. Even much more-so than the type of tubes. However, I just never could imagine how a FRFR setup could "do the job" for a live sound situation. But I decided it was time to give it a try with the Q12a, if I was ever going to get accurate Tweed, Vox, Marshall, Mesa, etc style tones all from one box.

Again, I don't have much other experience with FRFR, so I can't compare the Matrix to anything else. However, I just feel like they have that satisfying, typical "quality" Matrix sound. It lets the modeler shine through, and does it in a harmonically rich, full, warm sort of way. I can definitely imagine how some FRFR monitors would sound worse in many ways, but it's hard for me to imagine anything sounding much better. That's completely speculation on my part, but it's the same way I feel about their power amps, and it's just a feeling I have. Again, pure speculation.

The Q12a arrived to me in the States in FOUR DAYS! Read my previous post for details on how amazing Matrix's customer service was, as always. But yes, very fast shipping. It did come with an unexpected $40 customs fee attached, but oh well. That's no fault of Matrix's. I'm happy with the speaker, especially for a great sounding a feeling speaker AND amplification solution in one light, convenient, and small package, and especially for the price. Reasonable for something of such quality. It's very well build and I have full confidence in it. Matrix knows what their doing as far as quality is concerned. Nobody can argue that. Anyway, I'm getting things sounding really great and I have SO MUCH versatility out of my Axe now. I LOVE IT! I highly recommend these. Especially if you're someone still using a traditional cab because you're afraid you can't get the sound and feel of a traditional cab from an FRFR solution. I believe you can, if you want to and are willing to work bit to get there. I admit I wasn't blown away in the first hour or so of getting them and I didn't know how to set my global EQ or why my current patches didn't sound amazing yet. But after trying different cabs with each preset and tweaking them individually for the best sound, as well as setting the global EQ back to almost flat (with a very slight midrange hump, a slight roll off of the highest frequency, and a good roll off of the lowest frequency), I am getting better tones than ever and they all sound as different from each other as they should.

I want to reiterate how good Matrix's customer service is, and how high quality their products are. I also think they're a blessing for tone purists using the Axe that want that authentic sound and feel from their amp sims with the tubelike and cablike feel, and overall just quality tone. They really seem to be the perfect company that goes hand in hand with the Axe FX. Just to include more of my thoughts on this FRFR solution, below is my response to a couple of posts in another thread in this forum:
I feel like FRFR is for standard tuning. I got KILLER tones in standard with it. But in drop B or lower if just isn't there...

With my Matrix Q12a and EBMM JPXI 7 string tuned to drop A, I get killer tones. I'll admit that a regular cab with Matrix power amp is probably "enough" if all I wanted to do was super tight high gain metal patches, because you don't need all the variances that different cabs get you with those tones. It's mostly just EQ differences at those gain levels, and a good traditional cab will work fine for that. But I still like the added flexibility and how brutally tight it can get and getting all sorts of different tones with different cabs, not to mention much more realistic amp simulations. It does it just fine, but I guess it just depends on the FRFR solution you use. The Matrix Q12a handles low tunings well for me.

I play through a guitar cab and am happy. Lots of natural controlled feedback. Feels like I'm playing through any number of killer amps. I have always wondered about FRFR but everytime I play through my rig, I really wonder if I'd get my money's worth going FRFR. Someone somewhere on this forum described it as listening to a great tone on a CD. I think I'm sticking with the guitar cab.

I know it's hard to imagine, it was for me, but FRFR can give you all of that controlled feedback and cablike feel and response. I just recently switched to FRFR for everything, including live rig. I was always skeptical and just couldn't imagine it sounding as good. Well, after some tweaking and relearning how to do things with cab simulations and all of that, I'm sold. As stated above, I use a Matrix Q12a and that's the only real experience I have with FRFR, but I have a lot of faith in Matrix and I imagine that it's just abut as good of an FRFR solution as you can get, if not the best. So maybe some peoples' experiences will differ, depending on their setup. But I am getting SO MUCH tonal diversity now and my patches don't sound like amp "x" into V30's, making them all have a similar character and color, they sound like whatever I want. Either a hybrid creation based on something I thought sounded good or my interpretation of what a particular amp should sound like, or a very accurate replication of an existing amp. A Vox or Fender amp sim can sound good enough through V30's, but the speakers of those amps is probably the single most important element that gives them their signature sound. So being able to use accurate cab/speaker sims for a given amp is what REALLY releases the versatility of the Axe. It can sound great through a traditional cab, sure, but far as being completely versatile and accurate, using a traditional cab is a huge handicap to the Axe, IMHO.

As far as the feel and the amps sounding "recorded" rather than "in the room", it's all there in my opinion. The feel is totally there, and you get more response, harmonics, and cab-like thump the more you turn it up, just like a cab. Although you don't have to crank it as much and it's much more cranked sounding at low volumes, still. I think the idea that FRFR can't sound like an "amp in the room" is just an old interpretation that has been fading away with each new firmware update. Even the last firmware for the Ultra sounds very "in the room" and authentic. I honestly don't even notice a difference with the Ultra, as far as sounding "recorded". It just doesn't if you know how to tweak it to sound like a cab in front of you. The Matrix may help with that, though, because it's not a wedge, it's a backline style setup that has a cab-style construction. I still think I could get the same sound from a wedge, though. The cab sims are just that good, even without using third party IR's, which are supposed to be that much better. One trick is to use a "touch" of reverb on everything, just to give the sound some depth or a sense of "space". Just a tiny bit. But yeah, especially in a live situation with the cab cranked up, you seem to get all of that feel and I honestly don't think you could tell the difference if it's tweaked right (which isn't hard to do). The versatility that using cab sims opens up is what the Axe is all about, IMHO, and it makes it totally worth it. Having the cab sims are a HUGE part of getting the most from the Axe. I know it's hard to imagine how a single 1x12 can have a huge 4x12 sound with the thump and the feel and reactiveness, but it does. And the Matrix DOES have the headroom and volume for it. There are cab sims in there that make it sound bigger than even my crazy expensive Bogner 4x12. I'm personally sold.

Great review Dragg! How much was the shipping to the states? I'm in Pittsburgh and am definitely intrigued by the this cab, but am wondering how bad the shipping costs will be.

hey guys, new to all of this FRFR stuff and only came by the axe fx through sheer happenstance.

About 2 months ago, I listed a bunch of gear on craigslist here in dallas, one of which was a behringer foot controller. I met the buyer and we started chatting about this and that and what he'd use the pedal for - his axe fx II. Up to this point i had never heard of it, yet consider myself somewhat in-the-know.

Long story short - i did some research, just had to have it, and purchased the axe fx II MKII and MFC-101 about two weeks ago - and man, i haven't looked back. in fact, a month or so before getting the axe fx, I found a guy on craigslist kinda sideways financially, and picked up his Line 6 HD100 MKII, FBV shortboard and 412vs cab for next to nothing solely because I was so unhappy with my JSX head and 2x10 cab.... and my gmajor 2... and everything else.

the axe fx II is truly the game changer for me and my days of chasing down tone are over.

Anyway, i've been playing through a pair of mackie HR824 MKII, and though awesome, only scratch the surface and hint at what's possible with something like the Q12a.

The 'delicacy' the axe fx offers is nothing short of amazing - even through my decent mackie's, I can hear a depth and dimension that personally i have never heard from any other system. I'm almost willing to bet through speakers like the Q12a from matrix (who seem to have recognized the almost divine power of the axe and created something that make the pairing completely not of this earth), that many people's quest for the perfect tone is close to being over.

Someone asked in a recent post who had dumped their full rigs for an axe-only set up - i'm proud to say i have. in fact, if anyone is looking for an HD100 MKII, 412 cab, JSX 100w head and 2x10 cab, let me know ;)

Great stuff guys - cliff at fractal and matt at matrix, and eternal thanks to that dude who bought my behringer. Was he jesus i wonder?

raze

Last edited:
This is the same speaker as the CFR12, which was at the Axe-fest last October. I've looked through the thread about the FRFR shootout there (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/58737-frfr-tests-axe-fest-west-2012-a.html), and all I could find about the Matrix speaker were these posts: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-tests-axe-fest-west-2012-a-2.html#post733997 and http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-tests-axe-fest-west-2012-a-5.html#post734627. It seems to have slipped under the radar for some reason. Would any of you who were there please provide a comparative review of the Matrix speaker vs. the other offerings?

Great review Dragg! How much was the shipping to the states? I'm in Pittsburgh and am definitely intrigued by the this cab, but am wondering how bad the shipping costs will be.

Thanks man :) I honestly don't know how much the shipping cost because I didn't actually order online where you can see the shipping cost and all of that. Matt at Matrix took care of everything and had their sales girl invoice me for the total, through Paypal. Doing some quick conversion/math, it looks like I spent around $90, not including $40 for Customs fees. I'm on the East coast, if that helps. However, I did get the cab in 4 days. Not even quite that long. If you're concerned about the price, Matrix might be able to ship it with some other method that is cheaper and takes a couple of weeks, but don't quote me on that. I'd email them real quick so they can let you know about that and give you a shipping quote. They're quick to respond. And I could be completely off on that $90's. But it makes sense because I read in a email ad that the cab would be $1089 shipped and if you convert the price of the cab alone from Pounds to Dollars, you get $1000. So that's $89 in shipping. But it's very fast shipping! Just go for it man :)

Oh, and not everyone seems to get hit with Customs fee's. I didn't get the fee when I ordered my first power amp from them. But it seems the bigger box that the Q12a comes in results in fee's. Not sure how it works, but you might not get charged.

hey guys, new to all of this FRFR stuff and only came by the axe fx through sheer happenstance.

About 2 months ago, I listed a bunch of gear on craigslist here in dallas, one of which was a behringer foot controller. I met the buyer and we started chatting about this and that and what he'd use the pedal for - his axe fx II. Up to this point i had never heard of it, yet consider myself somewhat in-the-know.

Long story short - i did some research, just had to have it, and purchased the axe fx II MKII and MFC-101 about two weeks ago - and man, i haven't looked back. in fact, a month or so before getting the axe fx, I found a guy on craigslist kinda sideways financially, and picked up his Line 6 HD100 MKII, FBV shortboard and 412vs cab for next to nothing solely because I was so unhappy with my JSX head and 2x10 cab.... and my gmajor 2... and everything else.

the axe fx II is truly the game changer for me and my days of chasing down tone are over.

Anyway, i've been playing through a pair of mackie HD824 MKII, and though awesome, only scratch the surface and hint at what's possible with something like the Q12a.

The 'delicacy' the axe fx offers is nothing short of amazing - even through my decent mackie's, I can hear a depth and dimension that personally i have never heard from any other system. I'm almost willing to bet through speakers like the QA12a from matrix (who seem to have recognized the almost divine power of the axe and created something that make the pairing completely not of this earth), that many people's quest for the perfect tone is close to being over.

Someone asked in a recent post who had dumped their full rigs for an axe-only set up - i'm proud to say i have. in fact, if anyone is looking for an HD100 MKII, 412 cab, JSX 100w head and 2x10 cab, let me know ;)

Great stuff guys - cliff at fractal and matt at matrix, and eternal thanks to that dude who bought my behringer. Was he jesus i wonder?

raze

Hi there,
Happy New Year.
Its always great to hear about people that have made a discovery which makes them happy.
The creations we get to play with in the Matrix camp are the responsibility of Mr Andy Hunt, our designer, as such any credit due should go to him.

My best regards.
Matt.

Thanks man :) I honestly don't know how much the shipping cost because I didn't actually order online where you can see the shipping cost and all of that. Matt at Matrix took care of everything and had their sales girl invoice me for the total, through Paypal. Doing some quick conversion/math, it looks like I spent around $90, not including $40 for Customs fees. I'm on the East coast, if that helps. However, I did get the cab in 4 days. Not even quite that long. If you're concerned about the price, Matrix might be able to ship it with some other method that is cheaper and takes a couple of weeks, but don't quote me on that. I'd email them real quick so they can let you know about that and give you a shipping quote. They're quick to respond. And I could be completely off on that $90's. But it makes sense because I read in a email ad that the cab would be $1089 shipped and if you convert the price of the cab alone from Pounds to Dollars, you get $1000. So that's $89 in shipping. But it's very fast shipping! Just go for it man :)

Oh, and not everyone seems to get hit with Customs fee's. I didn't get the fee when I ordered my first power amp from them. But it seems the bigger box that the Q12a comes in results in fee's. Not sure how it works, but you might not get charged.

Awesome, thanks!

Quick question guys, and i probably know the answer to this, but how do u think these would work as mixing monitors? I'm honestly thinking about selling my mackie hr824 and replacing them with a pair of Q12a, which would also double as studio monitors.

Raze

Do you think it is actually possible for Matrix to create a passive FR 4x12 cab with coaxial drivers, so it 'looks' like a traditional 4x12, but has the non-directional all encompassing quality of the Q12a ?

This speaker appears to be an existing product in a revised package. If that is true, then the reception the CFR12 got at the Axe-Fest last October would be a very good indication of how the Q12 sounds. So far, the two remarks I can find from attendees at that event are negative to neutral and do not suggest that the speaker would make a good mixing monitor. If there are opinions of attendees that run counter to the ones I have found, this would be a good place to voice them. It seems odd that there was so little feedback on the CFR12 from an event that Matrix sponsored.

I have a Q12a incoming on Friday and will probably post a review on Sunday!
However, don't expect any awesome comparison as it is my first step in the FRFR world ;)

My GT1000FX and I are waiting for the passive versions of these. I prefer to stack my 1x12 cabs behind me on a stand so these are more attractive to me than the wedges ..... will be going for 2 of them :)

Cool cab but Dimension 17.9 W keeps me from buying. It's made for 19 " rack gear and so it should be 19 " too!

17.9 might just fit between rack rails, which would be BRILLIANT. I have often thought of building a rig with the speaker inside and the Axe gear secured above. This has a lot of potential...

Back
Top Bottom