Matrix Q12 passive now available :)

MatrixAmp

Inspired
q12a-2-logo.jpg

The Q12 has been released. For those of you that would like the quality of the Q12a, and already own a Matrix GT800FX, GT1000FX, GT1500FXBD or GT1600FX you can now purchase the passive cab.
For the guys that already have the GM50, you can now upgrade the Q12 to make a Q12a.

For more information please visit:

Q12 Passive Monitor

If you have any questions I look forward to hearing from you. ( matt@matrixamplification.com )

My best regards
Matt

Hey Matt, great to see you guys extend your product range. Hope they will be a major commercial success. One thing I'm even more curious about: When will we see an active wedge?

Cheers
Snoop

Nice. Dig that people that already have the GM50, can put it in the back. I guess that`s the removeble plate is for. Thinking ahead is great :D

A question to Matrix: What about CFR12? Is it the same speaker system and does it sound like the Q12 passive? Or where are the differences - besides the new look?

A question to Matrix: What about CFR12? Is it the same speaker system and does it sound like the Q12 passive? Or where are the differences - besides the new look?
Hi there,
My apologies for the delayed reply. I am still enjoying the west coast ( driving up highway 1 was great, been too long since the last time ).

We do not have an active wedge in the range as yet, though you guys will be the first to know as soon as we have something that we are happy to share with the world and proud enough to put the Matrix badge on it.

The CFR12, Q12a and Q12 all use the same coaxial speaker to ensure that they can be blended seamlessly. If you wish to use a Q12 and a CFR together you dont have to be concerned that they are loaded differently.
The Q12 is a more traditional looking version that we had been asked to produce by customers who wanted to enjoy to sound quality of the CFR12, but did not like the form factor of a wedge.

My best regards
Matt

Just picked up a gtfx1000 2u and 2 q12p, and even while on vacay, matt still answered all my questions.

Matt, take a break for pete sake

Michael

That's the thing though Michael, Matt was even answering queries on Christmas Day. He is one of those Matrix people who are committed to customer service.

Great looking cab! I know it'll sound good because I've got a pair of Carvin TRx12N monitors that use the same speakers and they sound great with my Axe-Fx. I do like Carvins price, but I also prefer this shape much more than the floor wedges.

Anyone have a thought on just purchasing the speaker from this cab and installing it in existing guitar cabs? I have two nice ported 1x12 cabs and don't see an advantage of purchasing their cabinet and speaker when the reality is the speaker itself.

^ While it's definitely doable, it won't certainly lead to the same result: an FRFR cab requires a tight designing, and all its components concur to the final sound. (Most) chances are the resulting cab won't be as linear (transparent) as a well-designed cab. This doesn't necessarily mean you won't certainly like the final result tho ;)

It is possible their cabinet may sound a bit better granted. However I have been doing a bit of research on people who have are using 12" Emininece co-ax drivers with a JBL 1" horn drive mounted on the back of the magnet and a Eminence cross over and loving the results in existing cabinets. Cost for a pair reconfigured 1x12 cabinets is about half of one of these Matrix Cabinets. The key thing with cabinet design is tightly sealed made of high qualtiy dense board material and cubic feet to allow the driver to do its thing.

Well, as I wrote you might like the result anyway, but getting a truly FRFR system is not trivial. It's not just a matter of internal volume and crossover frequency, otherwise all the cabs on the market would sound spectacular, wouldn't they?
But, again, what matters most is your ears' satisfaction :)

Just picked up a gtfx1000 2u and 2 q12p, and even while on vacay, matt still answered all my questions.

Matt, take a break for pete sake

Michael

I am taking a break :) That is why it is taking a little longer to answer questions than usual.

My best regards
Matt

Well, as I wrote you might like the result anyway, but getting a truly FRFR system is not trivial. It's not just a matter of internal volume and crossover frequency, otherwise all the cabs on the market would sound spectacular, wouldn't they?
But, again, what matters most is your ears' satisfaction :)

You are right, I guess I could build one and order a CLR and Q12 and compare. I have read that there are demo periods with both Matrix and Atomic which seem to be the two most popular right now.

Would 2 of these handle the power of your 1600-amp?

If you would like to run one each per channel in stereo, then the gt1600fx outputs 480 watts into each 8 ohm cab ( which is a bit more headroom than is normally necessary for a 260 watt driver, ). You would not need to run the amp up full.

Likewise, if you choose to run two cabs in parallel to present a 4 ohm mono load to one channel of the amp, the gt1600fx will generate up to 800 watts into the combined 520 watts worth of driver ( = more than enough headroom, I doubt most sane people would want to stand near both cabs running flat out :) ).
This second option gives you a second channel to run something else.

Please let me know if you would like a phone call to go through the above.
My best regards
Matt

Thanks a lot Matt.

I like to have the option of reserves. And that amp would give me a reservoar of power. I would probably blow my head off before the speakers blow :D
I don`t play that loud, but as i said... Reserves.

Johan

Thanks a lot Matt.

I like to have the option of reserves. And that amp would give me a reservoar of power. I would probably blow my head off before the speakers blow :D
I don`t play that loud, but as i said... Reserves.

Johan

If it does not blow your head off you could go hunting for eight 4x12 cabs and run four from each channel ( I would like to see a photo if you ever do this :) )

Best regards
Matt

Back
Top Bottom