Matrix Power Amp - Set Matrix Volume High and Regulate with Input or Vise Versa

sprint

Axe-Master
There's lots of posts around (ie see wiki) that indicate a Matrix GT1000Fx will sound best with output knobs fixed at 2 O'clock and input volume varying to taste. Does any one know of any factual information as to why this is? - it seems counter intuitive to me from the point of view of minimizing the noise floor which (unless I misunderstand how that works) would mean maximizing the input signal to the Matrix without any input clipping/unwanted distortion and using the Matrix's output knobs to regulate volume.

I think the concensus is at least 2 o'clock, not fixed at that position.

Since I run stereo FRFR I started just setting the Matrix at full on and using the Axe Fx Output knob for controlling volume. Much easier to keep both channels at the same level with no knob fiddling ;)

I think the concensus is at least 2 o'clock, not fixed at that position.

Yes - "at least 2" not "fixed at 2" as I stated above. But why is that the consensus?, since minimizing noise (maximizing SNR) would suggest maximizing Matrix input (without input clipping/distortion) and then dialing up the Matrix volume from mimimum to where you want it - Using this method I end up with the Matrix knobs at about 9 O'Clock most of the time (basement) with the odd instance of it being dialed up louder (out).

What's the logic behind the "at least 2 O'Clock" recommendation?

Yes - "at least 2" not "fixed at 2" as I stated above. But why is that the consensus?, since minimizing noise (maximizing SNR) would suggest maximizing Matrix input (without input clipping/distortion) and then dialing up the Matrix volume from mimimum to where you want it - Using this method I end up with the Matrix knobs at about 9 O'Clock most of the time (basement) with the odd instance of it being dialed up louder (out).

What's the logic behind the "at least 2 O'Clock" recommendation?
None of it makes logical sense to me... The power knobs on the Matrix are just attenuators: so you're really only ever turning down.

The origins of this came from a thread with the techs for Metallica as far as I remember.

I have a GT 1000fx and through much experimentation found the suggestions on the forum are accurate. Given the volume I like to play at (loud), I find that for me the Matrix volumes (stereo) set at 3o'clock and the axe set around 10 - 10:30 provide an awesome tone. It sound fine with the matrix lower , but loses a little "umph". When run at 3 o'clock it sounds like an amp to me. When i go too much louder I get more noice and uncontrolled feedback. I have been able to match the sound and feel of my Mesa TC 100 head through the same cabs this way. Back in the day when I had a mesa triaxis / 2/90 rig I aways ran the 2/90 volumes at full, and controlled the level with the triaxis - worked awesome.

The power knobs on the Matrix are just attenuators: so you're really only ever turning down.
That's my understanding also, so if you want to run the Matrix at bedroom levels, according to the recommended approach of having the Matrix set to a smallish amount of attenuation (2 O'Clock+ on the knobs), you have to give it a much weaker input signal than if you start with increased attenuation - which brings me back to the original question...

I find that for me the Matrix volumes (stereo) set at 3o'clock and the axe set around 10 - 10:30 provide an awesome tone. It sound fine with the matrix lower , but loses a little "umph"
Ok, if that's the sweet spot, that's what I'll probably end up using I guess - but still mystified as to why exactly? Maybe attenuation on the Matrix affects the tone negatively somehow (like load boxes often do) - I dunno, but I always understood that sending along too weak of an input signal is not ideal either.

That's my understanding also, so if you want to run the Matrix at bedroom levels, according to the recommended approach of having the Matrix set to a smallish amount of attenuation (2 O'Clock+ on the knobs), you have to give it a much weaker input signal than if you start with increased attenuation - which brings me back to the original question...

Ok, if that's the sweet spot, that's what I'll probably end up using I guess - but still mystified as to why exactly? Maybe attenuation on the Matrix affects the tone negatively somehow (like load boxes often do) - I dunno, but I always understood that sending along too weak of an input signal is not ideal either.
I hear ya - but it just seems to work. Maybe ask Matrix - those folks are super responsive and nice.

Matrix needs to take the GT1600 or 1000 and reconfigure it into something that can be hooked on to, or under a pedalboard.

I’d buy it today.

It is more to do with volume than anything happening inside the amp or any "magic". Generally when you get up to that level you have a fair few watts coming out of the speaker so the "feel" improves. Same thing you'd get with a tube amp. If their volumes went down enough in a linear kind of fashion (turning the effects in a loop down does a similar thing and lowers the overall output), you'd lose that oomph.

Seems that 10 o'clock or around there is a position on the Axe volume that most people use (headphones perhaps the reason for that?) and then the Matrix volume will start to be moving some air at 1 o'clock. You''d get a similar effect (as the amp is an attenuator) if you had the Axe volume a bit further up and the Matrix down or vice versa. Remember though that the Axe is possibly sending +4db into the Matrix (which ideally likes to see 0db) so maximum volume would be achieved (if all your patches etc are unity gain) before the volumes are up full. If in doubt, lower the Global by 4db. Keep an eye on the signal level lights or your ears bleeding for signs of "too much power" ;)

Back
Top Bottom