Matrix on the way

Mine shipped yesterday afternoon as well. I just got an Atomic Reactor passive cab so I'm really eager to see how it's going to sound.

That's the exact setup I've been using with mine. It sounds great to me and I leave the cab sims on. My OS 1 x 12 has never sounded better to me than this setup.

Enjoy!

Yay, my Matrix gt800 was shipped from the UK yesterday, my Axe and Port City cab are waiting eagerly!

Yay, my Matrix gt800 was shipped from the UK yesterday, my Axe and Port City cab are waiting eagerly!

always exciting awaiting new gear! hey can you tell me more about your port city cab and what in particular you like about it coupled with the axe? what type of drivers are in the cab? handle cleans and dirty nice?

always exciting awaiting new gear! hey can you tell me more about your port city cab and what in particular you like about it coupled with the axe? what type of drivers are in the cab? handle cleans and dirty nice?

Chewie,
The Port City cab is loaded with to V30s. I intend to use it for stage sound (via output 2 and the Matrix) while still going direct to the PA via output 1. I usually don't play very large venues, and need some sound from the stage in addition to the PA. Simple as that :)

hey wembley, i basically used the same config with my mesa 2X12 and running via my krk monitors at the same time...i was just curious about the port city cab itself. I've never been able to hear one up close so wonder what makes them so great.

My GT800 is in da house. I have no Axe to play thru it, so I tried putting a guitar straight thru
it to an EVM cab. I'll be damned! It sounds pretty good. Good enough to use as a straight clean
tone. Never heard a solid state power amp do that before.

:)

Had a LONG chat with Andy on Friday. We talked about all sorts of stuff - but a lot about his thoughts on getting the GT right. He went into detail about why it works - rail voltages, response times, valve v SS compression/clip/response etc. I got about 90% of it - but the guy seriously knows his stuff.

His explanations - along with direct comparrisons of how the GT works and its values against amps like the Art and the VHT opened my eyes.

I will also say hes obsessive about getting the product as good as it can be. He openlty admits he still hasnt got his head round exactly what "we" need as hes not a guitarist and hasnt really worked with any - and is still guesssing to a great extent (though feedback from me, lightningboy, dada etc has greatly helped him work with the amp). All i said was "your a damn good guesser" :)

The consequence is - Im not surprised in the slightest the GT works with a direct guitar signal :)

hey wembley, i basically used the same config with my mesa 2X12 and running via my krk monitors at the same time...i was just curious about the port city cab itself. I've never been able to hear one up close so wonder what makes them so great.

Chewie, I just got the Port City, so I'm sure there are a lot of people that know the cabinet more that can chime in here. Also, as I've mainly done the Axe/FRFR thing the last couple of years so I haven't really tested the Port City live (just a gig or two with my Bogner XTC). However, the cabinet is designed to push the frequencies differently from the traditional cabinets (e.g through the port at the bottom of the cab). It is simply designed to disperse the sound more evenly in the room, unlike the often gnarly, overly directional standard cabs. I'm thinking of using it mainly to give me the feel of an amp onstage, and feed the audience with some sound directly from the stage. I'll still feed the PA with the direct signal from the AXE. Also, my PC is an oversized 2x12, making it sound as big as (if not bigger) than my Marshall 4x12. It came with standard v30s, but I'm considering a pair of broken in Scumbacks.

Back
Top Bottom