Matrix NL212 Vs Port City 212 OS

Moshermax9

So I'm looking to get a 2x12 cab and have narrowed it down between these two amps. I've been really interested in the port city amps, but saw the matrix neolight cabs have been getting good reviews. I like that the matrix is much lighter and is ported just like the port city. Does anyone have any experience with either of these cabinets?

Hey Moshermax! I haven't ever played through a Port City, but I own the Matrix NL212 cab and I'll be honest in saying that it's working extremely well for me. When I switched over the AFX, partially to downsize my rig and save weight, I figured I should also try and save weight in my cabs as well. While I have a traditional guitar cab (Carvin Legacy cab) and a custom Xitone (1x12 FRFR), they each had their downfalls for my needs. Once I got my hands on a NL212, I was blown away at how light it was for the size. That's due to the neodymium speakers it uses over traditional, along with the lightweight tone woods. I don't use any cab sims with this cab, so I'm losing out on maximizing the use of my AFX, but I'm very happy with the tones I'm getting and can say that it sounds huge in the room.

Sorry I can't give you a comparison with the Port City, but if you have any specific questions regarding the NL212, I'll be happy to help out if I can, from someone who owns and plays through it daily.

I have an Nl212. Its crazy light weight and sounds good. However i'm considering selling mine. It has something almost "fizzy" going on in the high end that drives me nuts. One of those things that no one hears but me. I A/B'd it last night with my old Mesa 4x12 OS and the Mesa was smoother for leads and single note lines. Don't get me wrong, awesome cab and even better company. Just something about it that fizz doesn't work for me.

I didn't try the port city cabs.

I had in the past 2 x Mesa Thiele design 1x12 EVM12L,
2 x Carvin 2x12 V30,
Mesa Rectifier 2x12,

Currently using Marshall 1960 4x12,
2 x Matrix NL212.
2 x XiTone FRFR.

From all the mentioned, the NL212 are my favorite cabs, they are my goto for any situation.
Light, loud, rich and sound huge.

Last edited:
Love my Port City 2x12 OS, but i haven't tried the Matrix cabs. I think the PC cab rivals most 4x12s in sounding huge. Mine has WGS speakers, a mix of Veteran 30 and ET65.

I have a buddy who hasn't actually heard my rig except on recordings, and he always tries to tell me I need a 4x12, but when i play through my setup i don't feel it lacking in either tone or feel. Finally started using a ribbon mic positioned so that it picks up some of the port, along with a dynamic close up on each speaker and i don't think I've ever had a better recorded tone.

Back
Top Bottom