Matrix NL12 users

Reet

Inspired
Hey all, recently got my Axe Fx 2 XL, Matrix GT1000fx, and im running through an NL12. When playing at lower to medium volumes this thing sounds awesome and im loving the tones im getting with my setup. It seems however once i start playing at a loud level it gets a little 'mushy' and lacks low end and just overall gets muddy. The mid range seems to start to sound weird if that makes sense. Especially in high gain applications. My main rythmn patch is a 5153 red channel and the gain is around 3.75 with no boost. I try and tame my low end as well as i want a very clear distortion. Am i expecting to much out of this cab? It really has impressed me and im very happy with it, but at the end of the day its not a 4x12 even as much as i want it to be :p lol. Anyone else using this setup as a gigging setup? I really love the way it sounds, but i play very loud often and i need dat clear tone doe. The cab sims are off and all the 'very obvious' things are taken care of. Im still new though so i may be missing something here.

For the record i came from playing an EVH 5153 50 watt through a Mesa OS recto 4x12 and loved my heavy tones.

This is almost certainly down to Fletcher Munsen. Your designing your patches as that low to med volume? When you turn up it will change things. You need to design your patches at high volumes, then make tweeks to EQ for low/med volumes.

This patch was originally created at a lower volume. The last two days however i've been playing very loud. I've been tweaking like crazy and have gotten it a bit better. I don't get to crazy into the advanced parameters i'll admit, but i feel i'm having some trouble getting it diaed in with the 'pre, post, and dynamic pages. Its the mid range part that im having the most trouble with. I haven't done any eq before the amp and i haven't messed with the graphic eq much either. Im still amazed how real this thing sounds, i can only imagine how good it will sound putting more time into it.

I wish there was a built-in Fletcher-Munson function that would automatically make the EQ changes for you by assigning it to a Expression pedal or something

i have the same setup, as mentioned you have dial your patches different for home and for stage. and by the way the NL12 start sounding better after a certain volume, they need to be pushed...so if you like them low volume, when you dial in the right way you will like them even more :)

i have the same setup, as mentioned you have dial your patches different for home and for stage. and by the way the NL12 start sounding better after a certain volume, they need to be pushed...so if you like them low volume, when you dial in the right way you will like them even more :)

This is what i was hoping to hear about the NL12's. Im so happy with the weight its awesome. I bought this one in hopes of buying another and having a two 1x12 setup as opposed to a 2x12.

i have 2 of them, one is enough actualy, they get really loud but 2 is great for stereo patches.

This is what i was hoping to hear about the NL12's. Im so happy with the weight its awesome. I bought this one in hopes of buying another and having a two 1x12 setup as opposed to a 2x12.

i have 2 of them, one is enough actualy, they get really loud but 2 is great for stereo patches.

Last night i was at band practice and everyone was amazed that my little 1x12 that weighs nothing could drown out the other guitar players 4x12. :) I want to get two of them as i think it would be awesome to have one on each side of the stage if a venue wasn't micing. Which sadly still happens. Also some places have terrible monitoring. So i figure hey i could set it up for my drummer. Plus two cabs is better than 1. ;)

This patch was originally created at a lower volume. The last two days however i've been playing very loud. I've been tweaking like crazy and have gotten it a bit better. I don't get to crazy into the advanced parameters i'll admit, but i feel i'm having some trouble getting it diaed in with the 'pre, post, and dynamic pages. Its the mid range part that im having the most trouble with. I haven't done any eq before the amp and i haven't messed with the graphic eq much either. Im still amazed how real this thing sounds, i can only imagine how good it will sound putting more time into it.

if you want deeper / clearer sounding lows at high volume, don't boost them.. cut the low mids..
somewhere in the 250 to 500 range.. the cut don't need to be huge.. just 2dB to 4dB should be enough
bass, low mids and volume don't play nice together

if you want deeper / clearer sounding lows at high volume, don't boost them.. cut the low mids..
somewhere in the 250 to 500 range.. the cut don't need to be huge.. just 2dB to 4dB should be enough
bass, low mids and volume don't play nice together

Very good point. Its the 7 string lower chords that are sounding weird to me. I'll give this a try.

Back
Top Bottom