Matrix NL12 - as good as a 2x12??

jamn4jc

Experienced
Are the Matrix NL12s really as good as a 2x12 cabinet?

I had a huge breakthrough today when a friend let me borrow his 2x12 Orange cabinet. I easily achieved and heard lucious tones that I have been chasing for 12+ months. I have diligently followed many posts here regarding cabs, IRs (I have the OH packs), etc... and fully understand FRFR vs. amp+cab. I have been running FRFR (Atomic CLR) for the past 8-9 months and am really struggling with getting tones that are thick, full and not shrill. I have managed to create some great presets, but it takes a long time to produce them. I appreciate how good the CLRs are, but just can't seem to reign them in. Today, with the Orange 2x12 the vast majority of the default presets RAWKED with little/no extra tweaking.

I also have a Matrix GT800 and Hughes and Kettner 1x12 cabinet and that didn't do much for me (it also sound thin/shrill). I did disable the speaker simulation, so, I assumed the issue was elsewhere. Looks like the issue was that the H&K 1x12 just didn't have the oomph I was after. It does sound good paired with an H&K Tubemeister 18.

I guess I have spent too many years in front of a traditional amp+cab to be able to come to terms with FRFR. So, now I *really* want a 2x12 cabinet, or something that is going to give the same result. What I don't want is another huge piece of equipment. The NL12s really seem to fit the bill, but I am concerned that they will fall short (similar to the H&K cab). I see that the NL212 are out of stock.

Has anybody out there gone from 2x12s to the NL12s and been pleased and/or impressed?

Last edited:
I'm interested to hear some replies on this as well. I'm debating whether to get the NL12 or the NL212. Been using my Budda 2x12 with a GT1000 and like the results. Smaller and lighter weight would be a good think if the tone is there.

if you like th eOrange 2X12 why not just get one of those and be done with it?
I have held on to my Recto 2X12 for the very same reason.
I like the CLR and I am slowly getting my head around the whole FRFR "thing"
but I still love the thicker response I get from a real 2X12.
Granted a lot of my patches sound a lot more similar but so what, I love that cab.

if you like the Orange 2X12 why not just get one of those and be done with it?

Weight, size and cost. I play almost every week at church and the thought of adding something that size and weight to my setup is not appealing. I already have a 4U rack (Axe, G90, and Furman), guitars, MFC, etc... that I am hauling around. I could get two of the 2x12s (one for home, one for church), but the cost is a bit of a hurdle. The NL12 is light and at a price point that I could live with if it does the job.

The Prototype NL212 destroyed my Marshall 1936 with G12T75s in side-by-side tests. Sounds like a bigger speaker cab than it actually is or weighs. If you get chance to try one I highly recommend it!

Cheers

Spence

I have been running FRFR (Atomic CLR) for the past 8-9 months and am really struggling with getting tones that are thick, full and not shrill.

There is another thread here http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/80864-1-year-atomic-clrs.html just how good the CLR cabs are for some. I think you might be interested in knowing how they get their wonderful tones with the CLR they talk about in the other thread (I know I would be). Just an FYI.

The NL212 is amazing, you will not be disappointed, perfect weight and size and you don't have to mess with any speaker/mic combinations with your axe fx, lets me just concentrate on my amps, effects, and scenes. For volume it will crank, my drummer is always complaining I'm too loud.....drummers....:roll

There is another thread here http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/80864-1-year-atomic-clrs.html just how good the CLR cabs are for some. I think you might be interested in knowing how they get their wonderful tones with the CLR they talk about in the other thread (I know I would be). Just an FYI.

Sometime the FRFR setup just doesn't work and you got to bust out the guitar cabs :D Just because one person (I know there are many in this case) loves it doesn't mean it everyone has to like it. The world would be very dull if that were the case. Having said that there should be no reason why good tones can't be produced by the CLR, many respected AxeFX users seem to love them.

I was using a Cornford 2x12 with V30s, recently replaced it with a NL212.
The NL212 packs just as much punch as the Cornford, but at half the weight. Plenty of bottom end thanks to the ported design. It's a great cab.

It goes beyond getting so called "wonderful" tones.

For some of us -- it becomes a question of feel and how it sounds in the room. Some folks are cool with a "miked" guitar tone -- others are not.

I really think it is that simple.

For some of us -- it becomes a question of feel and how it sounds in the room. Some folks are cool with a "miked" guitar tone -- others are not.

If it was simple LVC we would all have the same gear... ;) I do get what you mean... I Just wanted to point out that the raves on the other thread listed might prove beneficial to people like Jamn4jc having issues with the CLR cabs. I was actually hoping for a setup discussion on them, but Im sure the NL212 sounds awesome too. The funny thing to me is we, after all this time with all this wonderful gear, are still searching for the holy grail... Are we never satisfied I wonder? lol...

Last edited:

I might take this a little bit further. Lets say you play lead guitar in a band with a drummer, rhythm guitarist, and a bass player.

If all your bandmates are using miked cab sims through backline FRFRs, you will probably love the sound of your miked cab sims through your backline FRFR. Studio quality sound in a live performance. Who could want more? (For this to work, the drummer might have to be mic'd up and covered with plexiglass for his backline FRFR, or he might have to use an electronic drum set.)

But if none of your bandmates are using mic'd cab sims (they are using real amps/cabs), and the drummer is not covered with plexiglass and is not using electronic drums, then you probably will not like the sound of your miked cab sims through your backline FRFR.

It is probably that simple.

Last edited:
I might take this a little bit further. Lets say you play lead guitar in a band with a drummer, rhythm guitarist, and a bass player.

If all your bandmates are using miked cab sims through backline FRFRs, you will probably love the sound of your miked cab sims through your backline FRFR. Studio quality sound in a live performance. Who could want more? (For this to work, the drummer might have to be mic'd up and covered with plexiglass for his backline FRFR, or he might have to use an electronic drum set.)

But if none of your bandmates are using mic'd cab sims (they are using real amps/cabs), and the drummer is not covered with plexiglass and is not using electronic drums, then you probably will not like the sound of your miked cab sims through your backline FRFR.

This may not be completly true. Some lead guitarists blast little combo amps backstage, mic them up, and send that signal to their pedal board and then to a traditional (real) backline guitar amp/cab. Others use isolation cabs (which have microphones in them) to generate their basic signal before going to pedal boards and traditional (real) backline guitar amp/cabs.

All this happens while the rest of the band plays through traditional un-mic'd amps/cabs. So mic'd sounds have been mixed with un-mic'd sounds in live shows long before DSP came around.

Last edited:
Really??? So drums sound better through speakers? Do you like the sound of a great martin acoustic guitar more miced up and through speakers...

I got an NL12 for lightness, but was knocked out by the performance. As big-sounding as my Marshal 4x12 with better bottom. I haven't yet used it on really big stage, but I can't see it not being loud enough. But for pub gigs, it sounds better than a 4x12 and is so light.

I still haven't decided on the cab sims on or off debate with mine. With cab sims on, playing a Strat its sounds great - clean, crunch and full-on. Not sure with my Les Paul - which I think if you alternate guitar use for different songs needs to be backed off in the traditional valve amp manner, unless playing lead... (to avoid too much mud). But this last isn't to do with the speaker - which isn't in any case marketed as FRFR.

I'm not going to get a Matrix 2x12, even though I can see the attraction! I'll save up for another NL12 if I need a bit more beef.

Back
Top Bottom