Matrix Neolight NL212 traditional cab

Even though the NL 112 212 are not FRFR are you satisfied with the sound on all amp types? Like Fenders, this model/that model, should have X speaker combo. Vox or Marshall should have X speaker/cab. With speaker sims off does the modelled amp sound true to you? I don't thnik I have the experince to tell myself. Seems like you all are satisfied.

Is the NL 212 stereo with inputs for both speakers or are you using 2 of them?
Thanks

Even though the NL 112 212 are not FRFR are you satisfied with the sound on all amp types? Like Fenders, this model/that model, should have X speaker combo. Vox or Marshall should have X speaker/cab. With speaker sims off does the modelled amp sound true to you? I don't thnik I have the experince to tell myself. Seems like you all are satisfied.

Is the NL 212 stereo with inputs for both speakers or are you using 2 of them?
Thanks

I am beyond satisfied with my NL12.

Like I have mentioned before -- it sounds incredible with the amps I use

Fender Twin
Tweed Deluxe
Dumble
Friedman BE

As a matter of fact -- I cannot find an IR that sounds as good. I have been trying to get the same tone I am getting with my presets using the NL12 (without cab sims) with IRs and I can't.

I hope Matrix at some point releases a pro quality IR (at least for owners of the NL12) so they can use it with their FRFR monitors.

With the NL12 and the Matrix GT1000FX I honestly forget I am not playing through a real tube amp.

... and bro you know my history with amps and the type of gear I have owned over the years ... so I don't make that statement/claim lightly.

It really sounds and feels awesome!

However, like everything else ... you need to take the time and dial in like you would with an amp head and a new cab/speakers.

Here is a preset (which is almost finished) for use with my Suhr Landau start (SSS) and the NL12.

It sounds ridiculous.

I plan to use it at my gig next week.

Attachments

• Fried Twin SC NL12c.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
that's a good question.
For me they are no as voiced as V30 or Greenbacks.
More neutral which is fine for the Axe FX because cleans and dirty sounds are more accurate.
In comparaison of a V30 they are less nasal, more open highs, more bottom.
My Scumback is more like that, soft sound with great response in bass frequencies.
When I compare to my V30, the V30 is really picky in the highs.
Electro Voice EVM are maybe in the same kind of sound I think.
I think that if you are searching a more "colored" sound, V30 or Greenbacks are a better choice but your loose that versatility

Awesome thanks. So I guess they would be somewhat comparable to an EVM12L ? And that speaker usually sounds great with alot of amps. Id like to hear back in the future about experiences with a tube amp + NL12´s

Awesome thanks. So I guess they would be somewhat comparable to an EVM12L ? And that speaker usually sounds great with alot of amps. Id like to hear back in the future about experiences with a tube amp + NL12´s

The EVM seems darker for me.
The NL 212 is really punchy , tight and clear.
Cleans breathes, leads are realy creamy too.
I think it works with any kind of sound.
If I have time tomorrow I will make a recording with a microphone in front of the NL 212 with different kind of sound
With Axe fx and tube amps if you want ;)

As a matter of fact -- I cannot find an IR that sounds as good. I have been trying to get the same tone I am getting with my presets using the NL12 (without cab sims) with IRs and I can't.

I hope Matrix at some point releases a pro quality IR (at least for owners of the NL12) so they can use it with their FRFR monitors.

Good to hear it sounds best (in your opinion) without Cab Sims....because as you pointed out, having an IR of the cab would make it now a great hybrid rig set up. Cab Sim to FOH, and real cab on stage....best of both worlds.

I'm tryin that right now with using a 1x12 Theile Cab with a V30 in it. I'm loving the Theile tone, but having a hard time finding a V30 IR that sounds very close.
I need to spend some time shooting my own IR. LVC...maybe you could try that as well?

Good to hear it sounds best (in your opinion) without Cab Sims....because as you pointed out, having an IR of the cab would make it now a great hybrid rig set up. Cab Sim to FOH, and real cab on stage....best of both worlds.

I'm tryin that right now with using a 1x12 Theile Cab with a V30 in it. I'm loving the Theile tone, but having a hard time finding a V30 IR that sounds very close.
I need to spend some time shooting my own IR. LVC...maybe you could try that as well?

I'd probably end up shooting my foot instead of an IR.:lol

I am not very savvy in that department or have the right gear.

I hope at some point Matrix releases pro quality IRs to owners of their NL cabs.

I just sent John from matrix an email 5-6 hours ago and asked if they have IRs of NL12, if he sends me one i will share.

I just sent John from matrix an email 5-6 hours ago and asked if they have IRs of NL12, if he sends me one i will share.

Be interesting to see if you could actually shoot a decent IR of a cab like the NL12 or 2x12 because of the ports.

Are there any IRs out there of cabs that have ports (like the Port City Wave)?

LVC, thanks. From all accounts sounds like have to give these a try because of their size, weight and sound. I found out on Matrix website that the NL 212 is switchabel stereo/mono.

LVC, thanks. From all accounts sounds like have to give these a try because of their size, weight and sound. I found out on Matrix website that the NL 212 is switchabel stereo/mono.

I am beyond happy with the 1x12, but I would love to give the 2x12 a spin.

Be interesting to see if you could actually shoot a decent IR of a cab like the NL12 or 2x12 because of the ports.

what is unique about the ports?

wondering because my theile cab is ported also....just curious what issue this causes when shooting IR's.

Dammit! this is not helping my gas...and I just bought a new LP. These are definitely going on my xmas list...now need to decide if 2 1x12 or a 2x12

I have made some low volume recording with one Nl 212
It sounds still like a new cab and need break in time but it will give you an idea.
Just one mic in front of one speaker (M88 beyer) with different kind of amps.
Triptik clean/modern, Diezel Vh4 channel 3 and 4, Dumble, Friedman HBE/BE, Vibroking, Morgan.

Imagine the sound in the room with two NL 212!
It sounds huge in my bedroom hahah

https://soundcloud.com/tonicstudio/matrix-nl-212-test-with-axe-fx

DOWNLOAD FILE FOR BETTER QUALITY !

It sounds still like a new cab and need break in time but it will give you an idea.
Triptik clean/modern, Diezel Vh4 channel 3 and 4, Dumble, Friedman HBE/BE, Vibroking, Morgan.

sounds pretty damn good - very full

Thanks!
It sounds of course a lot better in the room.
But the NL 212 sounds really fat and clear at the same time that's really great.

Got the humbucker preset almost dialed in for the NL12

I used a Suhr Korina Antique tele with humbuckers

check it out.

I will make some clips on Friday of both presets (should be finished by then)

Attachments

• Fried Twin HB NL12.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9

Sean Ashe shared some IRs of his PC OS Wave 2x12 cab. I believe they are available on AxeChange.

Back
Top Bottom