Matrix Neolight NL212 traditional cab

I'm agree!
I think that FRFR is wider.
But once you have played the NL12 or 212 it's really difficult to come back to FRFR for playing live.
The feeling of these cabs is so fun.
The punch is really impressive.
For me NL12 or 212 for playing on stage and FRFR for FOH is the best of two worlds.
The mix of FRFR and the NL12 in my studio is the best sound I have ever heard!

I agree -- once you start playing the NL12 it is hard to go back to FRFR for live playing. Also I agree mixing a FRFR (in my case the Q12) with the Nl12 is a total surround sound experience.

So these arent FRFR? Therein lies the question. Do they sound great with every amp model? Good cleans are easy to get but how do they sound with different voices of Amp Overdrives..Marshalls, Soldano, Mesa, Bogner Etc.?

I'm really looking forward to some aural comparison between the popular frfr speakers (a 12" woofer with a dedicated tweeter) and a full-range 12" with a Neodymium magnet that heightens the upper frequency spectrum by a small bit - often by introducing some grit and 3. harmonic distorsion. AND - doesn't have to use a cross-over.

So these arent FRFR? Therein lies the question. Do they sound great with every amp model? Good cleans are easy to get but how do they sound with different voices of Amp Overdrives..Marshalls, Soldano, Mesa, Bogner Etc.?

I can only speak for the amps I use

Fenders (Twin/Tweed)
Dumble
Friedman BE

It sounds absolutely fantastic through these amps (with both single coil and humbuckers).

Cleans are beautiful
OD pedals sound fantastic
Overdriven amps (Dumble/Friedman/Tweed) - sound incredible.

The Dumble and Friedman in particular sound amazing through the NL12.

Additionally you can use your cab sims if you want to as well ... (I use with cab sims off)

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to some aural comparison between the popular frfr speakers (a 12" woofer with a dedicated tweeter) and a full-range 12" with a Neodymium magnet that heightens the upper frequency spectrum by a small bit - often by introducing some grit and 3. harmonic distorsion. AND - doesn't have to use a cross-over.

what grit or harmonic distortion are you talking about?

I have not experienced either of these things with my NL12s (and I gig with them).... have you?

Curious as to how the NL212 will compare to 2 x NL12s for stereo..

I Will compare them on wenesday !
I think That NL12 are best for clean sounds or crunch and 2x12 Will handle high gain better!
The 2x12 is certainly huge sounding as the 1x12 has a real big sound.
Stereo With two 2x12 will be orgasmic for sure :)

I can only speak for the amps I use

Fenders (Twin/Tweed)
Dumble
Friedman BE

It sounds absolutely fantastic through these amps (with both single coil and humbuckers).

Cleans are beautiful
OD pedals sound fantastic
Overdriven amps (Dumble/Friedman/Tweed) - sound incredible.

The Dumble and Friedman in particular sound amazing through the NL12.

Additionally you can use your cab sims if you want to as well ... (I use with cab sims off)

Hmmmm....this sounds interesting...you almost have me sold. Might be thinking of a 2x12. What PowerAmp are you currently using?

Matrix NL212 are at home!
Pure stereo of power and punch.
Great cabs.
Better for high gain than the NL12 because of less mids and bigger sound.
It weights nothing too.
Killer product!
My Axe FX sounds huuuuge with these two cabs!!

iPhone video clip .... please!

Are at home? did you get more than 1?

Matrix NL212 are at home!
Pure stereo of power and punch.
Great cabs.
Better for high gain than the NL12 because of less mids and bigger sound.
It weights nothing too.
Killer product!
My Axe FX sounds huuuuge with these two cabs!!

I have made three little videos with cheap camera at low volume.
They are uploading on youtube.
I dont have time to make a better recording now but it gives you an idea.

Reactions: LVC
I am trying to get enough cash to get a NL212 to try out. Currently I use the NL12 with my Port City 2x12. And my rig never sounded better. I like the clean of the 1x12 matched to the oomph of the 2x12. It's just the weight of the Port City is twice that I'd. Like the NL212.

I'd say I they sit in the sweet spot between a traditional cab and an FRFR.. Even my wife comments on how much better the tone is these days. She's even recommending I buy a NL212! That's an endorsement.

sounds pretty damn outstanding to me ...

Thanks!
In the room its really great.
On the vid im playing With low volume.
But with higher volume it s so punchy and big sounding.
Really more alive than playing on frfr alone.

what grit or harmonic distortion are you talking about?

I have not experienced either of these things with my NL12s (and I gig with them).... have you?

I'm talking Neodymium in general. Neo-speakerunits have an tendency to reach higher up in frequency, both in 1" and 2" compression drivers as well as mid- or low units with paper cones. But with the side-effect of having a ragged linearity. I don't know what brand Matrix uses in the NL's or if they notch-filter their behaviour in the top end - with all respect.
But the different Neo units I have tried were too ragged and sonically ill-behaved. But the key-benefit is off course the weight. Another thing is, that I will allways favour the absense of a cross-over, being digital or passive.
I would love to hear the Matrix, but as a DIY guy I put a lot of effort in trying out different drivers and evaluating them with measurements and by ear especially.

From my POV the whole cab-scenario with respect to the Axe is only in it's state of birth. We are not talking about full-range systems that is equally good with guitar and rendering a full band or orchestra. It's a question of amplifying the same subtle nuances and dynamics coming from a guitar and whatever brand or model of one or several paper-cone speakers with a single voice-coil directly to the tube- or SS-amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom