Matrix Neolight NL12 vs CLR

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
I am looking for some advice or comparison on these two models. I am considering running either a stereo set up with a Matrix power amp ( like a GT1000FX) and two NL12's - or getting one active CLR. I do limited gigs at the moment, however I anticipate that changing in the future. So as of now, most of my playing is in a bedroom type environment. Any help would be appreciated ! 8)

I am looking for some advice or comparison on these two models. I am considering running either a stereo set up with a Matrix power amp ( like a GT1000FX) and two NL12's - or getting one active CLR. I do limited gigs at the moment, however I anticipate that changing in the future. So as of now, most of my playing is in a bedroom type environment. Any help would be appreciated ! 8)

There is really nothing to compare as both products are do different jobs. The NL12 is a traditional guitar speaker and not FRFR. If you are using a guitar cab now and are looking to replace that with something big sounding and lightweight, then look towards the NL12. If you are used to having a guitar cab behind you for your personal monitoring, then sticking with this route may be the more comfortable choice. Some players make the change to FRFR (which will feel different and sound like a mic'd up cab) easier but many struggle with the change in sound and feel which does rely heavily on the quality of the cab sims you use and how much tweaking you want to do to get an "amp in the room" sound. Up to you ultimately and which direction you wish to go. FRFR or traditional.

There is really nothing to compare as both products are do different jobs. The NL12 is a traditional guitar speaker and not FRFR. If you are using a guitar cab now and are looking to replace that with something big sounding and lightweight, then look towards the NL12. If you are used to having a guitar cab behind you for your personal monitoring, then sticking with this route may be the more comfortable choice. Some players make the change to FRFR (which will feel different and sound like a mic'd up cab) easier but many struggle with the change in sound and feel which does rely heavily on the quality of the cab sims you use and how much tweaking you want to do to get an "amp in the room" sound. Up to you ultimately and which direction you wish to go. FRFR or traditional.

Good advice here. With the new Ultrares IR from Fractal, the sound of FRFR is getting better and better. I am in a band where my other guitarist has amp and cab solution and i have 2 CLR on stage but in all honesty 1 would do as they are incredibly powerful. The sound from the CLR is exactly what the audience is hearing throughthe FOH and is a mix ready sound which actually you can hear all over the stage with great clarity. The other guitarist has a kemper and an amp and cabs. He gets a great sound but it is more directional and is not the same as the FOH although his FOH sound is good too. The CLR do give a more realistic amp feel than anything else i've tried and the sound and feedback is awesome. I would imagine the MAtrix and NL2 will give you a great sound too but you lose some of the advantages of FRFR with the ability to use Cabinet models 4x12 1x12 etc with all the blending that you can get as well with Cab Lab with different mike types and poitions. The sounds you hear on records are a mixture of blended mikes from Cabs. This mix ready studio sound is whatyou will get with CLR or other FRFR solutions and I would like to think that CLR is the best of them currently. The Cab IR is a great deal of your final tone and so you might miss that opportunity with the NL2 although some people claim is has an extended rabge and so gives some FRFR characteristic more than a traditional guitr speaker cab. For example I have an AC30 IR I made myself from the latest Fractal Cab 4 which is a unique blend of mics in Cab Lab. This tone nails the sound and is accurately relayed through the CLR, the NL2 will impose its own character as it is not true FRFR.

The advantge of the NL2 is that it is light and that might be a consideration. The CLR unless you get the Neos are heavier but not excessively so and have a good ergonomic carrying handle. I would suggest you think about what sound you are going for and that will help you decide
James

I recently bought a used CLR Neo, and I had a Matrix GT1000/NL12 here for a brief comparison before selling the Matrix gear.

One isn't better than the other. Both are very different, but excellent solutions and it's really a matter of personal preference/needs.

I ran the Matrix/NL12 rig with cabinet sims turned off (didn't care for it with cab sims on). I found the NL12 to sound bigger than it's size, but it does not sound as big as a 2x12 as many owners claim - at least not in side-by-side comparisons to my Budda 2x12. I also compared the NL12 to a Mesa Thiele loaded with an EVM12L and preferred the Thiele by a large margin. If you prefer a power amp/cab solution over using IR's with a FRFR monitor, and a small, light weight guitar cab is what you are after, you will be hard pressed to find a better option than the NL12. If the weight is not an issue, I suggest looking at the EV loaded Thiele as it just sound bigger and better than the NL12, IMO.

The CLR is by far the best sounding FRFR solution that I have owned (previously: Atomic Reactor, FBT Verve 12ma, RCF NX12sma, Xitone cab). The key component to getting satisfactory results out of FRFR, at least for me, has been finding the right IR's. I wonder how much of my dissatisfaction with some of the previous FRFR monitors I have owned (the RCF in particular) would have disappeared with the quality of IR's that we have available now.

Lastly, in comparison, I thought the Matrix rig sounded a little dull and lifeless compared to the CLR. Granted, I was not able to compare them for an extended period of time as the CLR arrived with some shipping damage that caused a background buzzing noise (UPS did take ownership of the repairs). So, the CLR was only here for a day before UPS picked it up to inspect it for damages. But that brief comparison was enough for me to decide to finally commit to FRFR and abandon the power amp/cab approach.

Good advice from the previous two posts. FRFR is not for everybody, but then again neither is the power amp/cab solution. The Matrix solution does sound more like what most guitarists are use to and the speaker is neutral enough to work well with a wide variety of amp models. The CLR still sounds like listening to your amp mic'd up in another room through a high quality studio monitor, but like I said, recent developments in IR technology and IR mixing have started to erode at that difference.

Thank you all for your advice ! - this is EXACTLY the kind of information I was looking for to help with my decision. In my ignorance, I was thinking that the NL was FRFR as well as the CLR. i am used to having amps behind me and a monitor in front of me - but it sounds like if I go with a CLR and then go FOH with the Axe, I won't be missing much behind me. All great information here as usual ! Now I just need to make some kind of decision. Thanks again everyone for your input.:eagerness:

Some good reads here... thanks for the meticulous seemingly non-bias details.

I've tried the Matrix amp and as mentioned above I found it also to be dull and lifeless too. However, I'm not giving up completely yet.

With that said, anybody know of place in the New York (tri-state) area where I can play through some other FRFR options? I realize most of you are from other great parts of the world, but it would be cool if I could find a local dealer (if such a place would exist?). I'm anxiously awaiting the annual "Amp Show" (Parsippany NJ, in September, I think if there is one this year) in hopes of finding some good options.

Even with all the great educated advice, I'm firm believer in hearing it for myself.

Thanks!

Some good reads here... thanks for the meticulous seemingly non-bias details.

I've tried the Matrix amp and as mentioned above I found it also to be dull and lifeless too. However, I'm not giving up completely yet.

With that said, anybody know of place in the New York (tri-state) area where I can play through some other FRFR options? I realize most of you are from other great parts of the world, but it would be cool if I could find a local dealer (if such a place would exist?). I'm anxiously awaiting the annual "Amp Show" (Parsippany NJ, in September, I think if there is one this year) in hopes of finding some good options.

Even with all the great educated advice, I'm firm believer in hearing it for myself.

Thanks!

Atomic has a 15-day return period, but unless you don't really want FRFR you won't be using it - once you experience it you will not be wanting anything else.

Atomic has a 15-day return period, but unless you don't really want FRFR you won't be using it - once you experience it you will not be wanting anything else.

That's what I was told about the Matrix, then I got burned on the exchange rate when I returned. Not going down that road again.

However, thanks for the suggestion, I do appreciate it.

I just wish some retailers would get with the times and on the bandwagon.

That's what I was told about the Matrix, then I got burned on the exchange rate when I returned. Not going down that road again.

However, thanks for the suggestion, I do appreciate it.

I just wish some retailers would get with the times and on the bandwagon.

You won't get burned by the $US to $US exchange rate though, I think you'll find it to be a fixed 1:1 ratio :)

Atomic is a US based company and the CLRs and the service provided by Tom King of Atomic are both unmatched.
The CLRs are not available through retailers, as that would add a lot to the cost - so in fact it is to your advantage that you can only get them directly from Atomic.
In the very unlikely event that you don't like them and return them, you'll only have to pay for shipping, which is only fair.

You won't get burned by the $US to $US exchange rate though, I think you'll find it to be a fixed 1:1 ratio :)

Atomic is a US based company and the CLRs and the service provided by Tom King of Atomic are both unmatched.
The CLRs are not available through retailers, as that would add a lot to the cost - so in fact it is to your advantage that you can only get them directly from Atomic.
In the very unlikely event that you don't like them and return them, you'll only have to pay for shipping, which is only fair.

Point taken, that may be plausible.

I guess the next logical question would be ... ACTIVE vs. PASSIVE?

I have power amps, but that may defeat the purpose. It be nice to hear how loud the ACTIVE versions are?

Whatever I decide, I would opt for two (a pair) so I can take full advantage of the stereo outputs of the Axe.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom