Matrix GT800fx v GT1000fx - review + vids

What type of amps are these Matrix thingys? I find no technical info on their site...

Class AB mosfet output stage and (I think) half bridge topology SMPS. GT800FX has some technical performance specs listed for it - typical high quality SS power amp performance specs.

My Anti FM EQ is a little rought to say the least for a number of reasons. Firstly its a Graphic EQ Im using, which wont generate a smooth frequency curve. Secondly there are only 2 available EQs (one on each global), so you can only set up for two volume levels - deviating from those levels will make the settings less effective (sometimes a relativelty small increase/decrease in volume has a noticeable effect). Lastly it depends on the room - we all know some a boomy, some are bright etc.

That said, I took one of the many FM curves published, and chose a loud level (110db in my case) as my reference. Thats my flat EQ, and represents my gig volume level. i then chose a quieter level - 80db initially though I think I play louder than that at home - and mapped the "offsets" - ie how much each freq differed from the reference. then I played at both levels and fine tuned by ear - actually the offsets were generally reduced because I was louder than the 80db I plotted on the chart.

using this doesnt mean i dont have to fine tune to a room, or to a live volulme but its pretty close normally. My "home" eq curve doesnt change as I generally play at the same level.

All that waffle out of the way, Ive settled on the following EQs for my home use:

32 hz: +4db
65 hz +2.4db
125 hz +1.5db
250hz -0.5db
500hz -1.2db
1 Khz +0.5db
2 Khz +1.75db
4 Khz +1.5db
8 Khz +3.0db
16 Khz +0.5db

Last edited:
Many thanks for taking the time to make and post these vids. I have the 800, but will order the 1000 soon. If your examples hold true for me, there's more than enough mojo in the cleans to keep the 800 for certain applications. Thanks again.

I’m a little apprehensive of the new GT1000FX.

First things first as you I can see I have a GT800 and love it death, I also can’t wait for their FRFR solution so??? What the hell is my problem????
Nothing with Matrix, that’s for sure!!

My fear as of right now I prefer to use FRFR solutions and neutral is best. What I adjust for (using my monitoring system) is what I also want to come out the PA. I really want the Axe FX to have all the juice/control. As of right now the GT800 does it very well my next choice would have been a Carvin DCM1540L which in some ways I consider a little more neutral (but that is A/B-ing things to death) With a real cab I prefer the Matrix it does have a bit of sonic goodness that just shines through.

But you guys with the GT1000 are describing a slightly different voicing and from what I skimmed through, most of you are running real cabs (which is cool). But basically I’m a bit scared it might have to much of a different voice/color (whatever you want to call it) at least for the FRFR world.

Just figure I would throw in my 2 cents keep in mind you will probably see this within six months or so in my signature anyway.
"Axe-Fx"II ,Matrix GT1000FX, Matrix passive cabs, MFC-101, Mission pedals"

So take it for whats its worth
:lol:lol

Reactions: JT2
i prefer the 1000 clips for sure. Not sure if it's a levels thing but from all things said it sounds like a great amp. I'm getting GAS again.

As i said, if your buying new, the extra cost of the 1000 over the 800 is IMO worth it - unless you play a particular style that the thicker mids of the 800 would suit.

However, if you struggle to afford/justify the 1000 but you can afford/justify the 800 price its still a great amp - and probably the best SS amp in its price.

used 800s however are a no brainer - for those of us that upgrade/update our 800s. FWIW I had 3 potential buyers for my 800 in under one hour.

I have been playing the GT1000FX for a couple of weeks now. I used to own the 800 but didn't have them at the same time. I concur with your views on the 1000. It does feel more open. I really like it.
It's like going from the 800=EL34's to 1000=6L6's. You get more bottom and top end from the 1000 and more open feel.

Doesn't this statement actually imply that the amps in question would be colored? You guys must have the so called "Golden ears" When I listened to the clips I couldn't tell any differences between the two
dunno.gif
granted it's an un-mic'd you tube clip. I mean if both amps have a relatively flat response then they should sound pretty much the same.

I can't speak for how flat the design is only the impression I got playing them both. There isn't a world of difference, it's subtle in the openness and perceived response in the low and highs.
I have played a lot of SS power amps and they all had a different tone and feel to them. Some sounded cold and sterile and completely unacceptable alternative to a real tube power amp.
Matrix has tweaked these to be suited with a guitar players needs/wants in mind to produce a more tube like feel and tone.

Agreed that no two SS amps are going to sound quite the same... I'm just wondering if it's the difference in headroom that you guys are hearing/feeling? For me slight differences don't really bother as they will other wise be for the most part undetectable in a mix with other instruments or tracks. I was just curious and felt compelled to ask. I have no doubt that the Matrix is a great SS amp solely based on the review of others here. At this point I'm contemplating a pair of GM-50's installed in my Verves Vrs the GT1000FX powering them:?, So far the GT1000 is winning.

At this point I'm contemplating a pair of GM-50's installed in my Verves Vrs the GT1000FX powering them So far the GT1000 is winning.
I would defiantly go for a rack mount power amp just for versatility alone. I go to my friend’s house once in a while; he is a couple hundred miles away, spend the weekend. Just bring my guitar of choice (usually a Les Paul), my 4 space rack (Furman, AF II, GT800FX)and my MFC & a mission pedal, he has cabinets for me. So I’m done and that’s one less thing to bring whether it be one of Atomics or the Mesa 2x12 Recto.

Plus at home I flip flop allot sometimes it is the 2x12 other times the Atomics, that rack mount amp sure makes all of that easier.

As I didn't have any SS amp prior to this it made sense to me to go for the GT1000FX - therefore can't comment on personal comparison to the GT800. However, I do have a 2x12 standard cab which might be replaced with a FRFR cab someday so the rack unit appealed more to me.

The increased wattage over the GT800FX should also appeal to any 4x12 users due to the increased clean headroom (also from what I read in the manual the bridged mode is now very straightforward to select and no special cabling is required)

As I didn't have any SS amp prior to this it made sense to me to go for the GT1000FX - therefore can't comment on personal comparison to the GT800. However, I do have a 2x12 standard cab which might be replaced with a FRFR cab someday so the rack unit appealed more to me.

The increased wattage over the GT800FX should also appeal to any 4x12 users due to the increased clean headroom (also from what I read in the manual the bridged mode is now very straightforward to select and no special cabling is required)

Yes, no special cabling required for bridged output on the GT1000FX, there is a third output connector, sitting between the channel A and channel B output :)
My best regards
Matt

Its not a headroom thing making the difference as I only pushed the 800 to a max of 60w - thats what my cab takes. That means the 800 had around 200w of clean headroom while the 1000 has 280w. with that kind of power in reserve it wont make a difference.

TBH, Ive seem HiFi amps that all spec a pretty flat - and almost identical Frequencey response BUT one is quite open sounding and one quite congested. Congested is a phrase i see a lot on HiFi forums when talking about power amps.

But it is a subtle difference yes.

Back
Top Bottom