Matrix GT800FX or GT1000FX?

blackcom

Inspired
Matrix GT800FX or GT1000FX?

The difference is not just 200 watts. The GT1000FX has some kind of power tube emulation and a looser feel according the the product website. The GT800FX does not have this feature.

As the AXE-FX allready have power tube emulation I guess the SAG parameter would have to be turned off when used with the GT1000FX.

But would it not be "better" to just use the AXE FX with the GT800FX instead so you'd actually have the power tube emulation the FAS team have developed?

Anyone tried?

Didn't like the 800...got the 1600 and frickin love it! Replaced my Mesa 2:90 beast of a 6L6 power amp after 10 years of service. Matrix is AMAZING!

I think most people are keeping the power amp sims 'on' when using the Matrix GT1000. I know I am. It's a great amp!

Didn't like the 800...got the 1600 and frickin love it! Replaced my Mesa 2:90 beast of a 6L6 power amp after 10 years of service. Matrix is AMAZING!

What diden't you like about the 800 and what made you prefer the 1600? I play 8-string so maybe I actually need that amount of wattage?

Last edited:
I've tried both and got the GT1000FX. Fantastic! Ran it today at rehearsal, into a Marshall 1936 cab mono, with v10.02, and it felt very amp-like. Had awesome tone and really liking how v10.02 responds. Used a variety of clean (mostly Twin and ODS), JVM, HBE, and couldn't be happier!

GT1000FX user here as well.

If you are use to playing tube amps -- you will still feel like you are playing tube amps.

I use it with the Matrix Q12 and it can peal paint off the walls .

It has all the juice I will ever need.

Of course, the power difference is less than 1dB, although it might affect which speakers can be used reliably.

I wish we had a better explanation of the difference between the models instead of the mumbo jumbo on their website.

All of that said, I'm very happy with the 800. Volume control tapers (like the Axe-FX) are quite uneven, but that's nit-picking.

There is actually no emulation as such, its just the components have been chosen to give more of a feel of a tune amp. There the same components as the GT800 mostly (a slightly different design, but nothing you might not find on other amps) its just the values chosen are different. This affects things like (in non technical terms) how quickly a volume change in in input is reflected in the output (so how fast the amps is), and the same thing but with respect to frequency etc. Its these changes that make the amp respond more like valves. There are some changes that effect the overall tonality - giving more open mids, but again nothing you might not get on an amp from a different manufacturer - and it doesn't change the flat response (thats different, you can have two amps that sound different but have the same flat frequency response - strange but true).

What you get are two amps, that have a slightly different feel/response - with the 800 being thicker in the mids with a smoother/darker top end and the 1000 being more open and glassy. You still use amp sims on both. Its just which suits your style better. If you pretty much stick to a Mesa Mark type tone - the 800 may well suit better for instance, but for the majority of people the 1000 seems to be a better fit,

I owned both, changed from the 800 for the 1000, mostly because of the fact that you can get the 1000 in a fully silent 2U version with bigger fans. I did a very short comparison, and they sounded pretty close to me (together with a 1960A cab with T75's).

Overall I preferred the 1000, but it's hard to put into words how they differ exactly, and I'll leave that to more experienced sound engineers; maybe Pete's video can help you as well. In any case, I'm really happy with this setup.

Also, you get moody orange glow thrown in on the 1000 for good measure ;) :

DSC00097 by kvanmech, on Flick

^^^THIS.

Pete's demo shows the differences way more than any "mumbo jumbo" words can (no offense intended, paulmapp!) as GM Arts put it. :)

IMO, the differences are there, but fairly subtle. I have the 800 and love it, and have no intention of replacing it with the 1000, 1500, etc. I do have to give the nod to the 1000 and up models in the looks category. That pretty blue LED and the orange LEDs inside do look cooler that the 800's green LED and red LEDs inside. :)

What cabs are you using with the 1000 guys? I sold my mesa 20/20 yesterday and am thinking of buying a 1000.

Back
Top Bottom