Matrix GT800FX or GT1000FX to power a Friedman Cabinet

Megadebt

Experienced
I want to get a power amp to connect the Axe FX III to this cab. It's a 4 x 12 16 ohm 100 watt cabinet. It will be used for home practice and jamming.

What would be the better choice of these two power amps, do you think?

Thanks!

Johnny

The GT800FX, unless you want the fans to be quieter, then it would be the GT1000FX-2U.. I suspect that they will sound exactly the same..

GT1000FX and GT800FX are different products.
GT1000FX comes in 1U or 2U

From Matrix site:
The GT1000FX is designed with a full range of guitar products in mind, from modellers to valve pre-amps, pre-amp pedals, "slaving" traditional amplifiers and the newer mini-amps with line outputs. Whilst still delivering the same flat response as the GT800FX, the GT1000FX has been modified to respond even more like a valve power amplifier, giving a "looser" feel and a more open sound that we genuinely believe to be the closest a solid state amp has come to valves!

the 1000fx is an absolute unit. Super lightweight. Speakon connectors (no banana plugs) and sounds massive. I used one to drive a 4x12 for years and it never let me down.

FWIW, I've been using a GT800FX to power stage cabs for several years with no issues.
Last week at gig, the Amp failed. No lights or power, just a steady clicking.
Opened up next day, same thing. A light inside was blinking on/off along with the clicking.
It's at repair shop now for evaluation. Other than this, never had a problem before.

Mostly used to power a 2x12 stereo Cab for stage use.

I've heard the GT1000FX has to be turned up to about 2:00 or so for the low end to fill out to being flat with the mids and highs.

At that level, how easy is the Axe-Fx to control at low volumes using the front knobs? Do they feel like they have a hair trigger or is the sweep still pretty smooth?

With Vol's at 2:00 on GT800, Axe Levels 1/2 are easy to control from very quiet
to ripping loud. Those are the only levels I use Live. I would expect similar results from
Levels 3/4.

FWIW, I've been using a GT800FX to power stage cabs for several years with no issues.
Last week at gig, the Amp failed. No lights or power, just a steady clicking.
Opened up next day, same thing. A light inside was blinking on/off along with the clicking.
It's at repair shop now for evaluation. Other than this, never had a problem before.

Mostly used to power a 2x12 stereo Cab for stage use.
This happened to my gt1000 like two weeks ago, was fine the day before but then the next day, no lights or fan, just click click click.

Luckily I’m in the U.K. so I sent it off to matrix and they fixed it, quick turnaround, about a week from sending it to getting it back.

Apparently a couple mosfets on channel b failed and were tripping the power supply or something.

I have two XLR cables going from the Axe-Fx III's Output 2 jacks (set to -10db) to a Matrix GT1000FX.

I play this rig at the house a lot and it's super easy to keep the volume anywhere between whisper quiet to "normal TV volume" using only the Axe-Fx's output knobs, even with the Matrix's volume knobs maxed. The Axe-Fx allows for extremely fine output level control at low volumes.

I was actually not expecting the Axe + dimed Matrix combo to be as good as it is at low volume control, but it's fine. The volume never leaps up if you breathe on it funny, like what happens with some tube amps, or anything like that.

Also, with a single 16 ohm 4x12 cab, if you just use one channel of the Matrix (meaning if you keep it in Stereo mode and not in Bridged mode), it will only push 150 watts to the cab at max. So if you keep your output levels on the Axe-Fx low, you'll never even come close to that. For reference, at TV volumes, you're probably actually only sending somehwere between 0.05 and 0.25 watts to the cab or something crazy low like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom