Matrix GT800FX and NL212

Jettster

Matrix GT800FX and NL212 (Added two clips)

I've wanted to write up a detailed review and post some clips after using this setup for a few weeks now but just haven't had the time. I will say that I am very impressed with this rig and it's really nice just to be able to turn it on, pick an amp and play. No major tweaking, trying tons of different IR's, etc. It's amazing that it works so well for any type of amp, clean, slight OD or heavy tones. The sound and dispersion seem to be the best, six feet or more back from the cab although it sounds pretty damn good anywhere. I'm hearing a little more extended frequency response than would normally be associated with a typical guitar speaker but also believe that lends itself for a little more transparency, which is a good thing. I'm guessing that the extra transparency helps it sound better in more circumstances than a speaker that was more colored tonally.

Running this in stereo sounds huge and multidimensional, maybe not as 3D as two separate cabinets spaced far apart but you definitely have a stereo sound field that's very full and non directional. Just as advertised the cab is freakishly light and nice to look at, it seems very well made and solid. It also seems to up the interaction between the guitarist and the AXE making it even more like playing through a real tube amp/ cab. The GT800FX seems to have more than enough power as I've already knocked a few things off the wall with power to spare. :shock

I am sure there is a trade off going this route versus FRFR but for those that have to have that amp in the room sound/interaction, this is an extremely satisfying solution. If I were pressed to find a fault with anything, it would be that the tolex covering the cabinet seems to be somewhat thin as there are already a few spots where it seems to have nicked already. All in all, knowing what I know after spending time with this setup, I would definitely go this same route all over again, very satisfied by what I'm hearing.

Hope to still have a chance to make some clips of some heavier stuff here in the near future.

Attachments

• IMG_4895.jpg
    IMG_4895.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I will say that I am very impressed with this rig and it's really nice just to be able to turn it on, pick an amp and play. No major tweaking, trying tons of different IR's, etc. It's amazing that it works so well for any type of amp, clean, slight OD or heavy tones. .

Yep... turns your Axe into a real amp.

All you have to do is turn it on and play --- Simplicity at its finest.

You cannot ask for more.

The other part of your experience was the mind blowing part for me -- the damn thing sounds good with whatever Axe-FX preamp you throw at it.

Thanks for the review.
Do you keep the Cab Simulation turned on from the AxeFx? (and did you try on and off to compare?)

If I were pressed to find a fault with anything, it would be that the tolex covering the cabinet seems to be somewhat thin as there are already a few spots where it seems to have nicked already.

I'm sure that Robin will be pleased to hear that you think the covering is tolex. It's actually a hard wearing paint covering...warnex I think. It's fooled me a couple of times looking at cabs in the factory!

Thanks for the review.
Do you keep the Cab Simulation turned on from the AxeFx? (and did you try on and off to compare?)

I leave the cab sims off. When I first got it, tried a few different IR's and it sounded muffled / muddy, like a blanket over the speakers. To be fair, it sounds so good without them that I did not spend much time trying too many different IR's though..

Last edited:
I'm sure that Robin will be pleased to hear that you think the covering is tolex. It's actually a hard wearing paint covering...warnex I think. It's fooled me a couple of times looking at cabs in the factory!

Yep, definitely fooled me. :lol That just means I can use some black touch up paint for any nicks which works out just fine.

Couple of quick crappy videos, tablet mic gets overwhelmed pretty easily even when the volume is low.

Car Roamer w Tube Drv 3 knob

Brit Super w Tube Drv 3 knob

Back
Top Bottom