Matrix GT800 with.....

rlhjr34

Inspired
Ok, so I've been happily running my AX8 through my LSR305 JBL speakers. I'm looking to add to my options and have picked up the Matrix GT800FX amp to branch out some. I mainly use the V30 cabs with my presets. Most often the Mesa cabs. So that seems pretty obvious right? Get a Mesa cab. Is it the best option though?

I do plan to branch out into some of the other amps and cabs eventually with my AX8. So should I go for a wedge? The CLR is really out of my budge new. I'm pretty much looking at a used cab or similar. I play in my home mostly now, but do plan to eventually get out and gig someday. What do you recommend for both? I considered a pair of the Mini Rec Cabs ( I found a couple that hit my budget) that are used. Trying to stay in the $650 or less range for a setup.

Well a mesa 2x12 rectifier cab is 650, so you're in luck there. If mesa impulses were my bread and butter I'd probably highly consider going with that cab. Real cabs are so much more fun, and I'd rather play on a real cab for regular use any day. Impulses I stick to using for recordings or if I were strictly going direct live.

Take a look at Avatar cabs (avatar speakers dot com). They have 2x12 cabs starting at $439, and you can customize the type of Tolex, grill cloth, open/closed/convertible back, mono or stereo, choose either dado or dovetail construction, etc etc. Their default speaker offering is V30, but you can pick any option, and even mix & match different speakers within a single cab. Made in USA. Their Facebook page shows a lot of finished cabs and some in the building process. 100% custom, so some of them are really whacked out.

I have their Signature 2x12, same size as their Contemporary 2x12 (which coincidentally resembles an Orange cab). I left the convertible rear in the closed configuration, and it can give seriously heavy thump if you want it to. And it's solid! Feels like I could build a house on it.

I'm not affiliated in any way with Avatar, just a satisfied customer.

I will second for Avatar. My current rig uses the Matrix GT1000fx stereo into 2 Avatar Contemporary cabs 2x12 loaded with Vintage 30s. I am considerably more than pleased with this setup. They're actually just a little bit bigger than Orange and even the Bogner Oversized, and they are built like tanks. Avatar is also a great company to work with. Friendly, informative, and they care about their products.

I have a Mesa 2x12 horizontal recto cab powered by a GT1000FX. I love it. Whatever cab you choose, make sure to get the resonant frequency stuff right. It goes from awesome to "holy shit."

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on something in the next day or two. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I was mainly curious on not only cabinet recommendations, but also any opinions out there that suggested I reconsider and go with an FRFR wedge or speaker(s) on the used market given my budget. It sounds like nobody has any regrets going the real cab route.

The pair of Mini Rec cabs you mentioned would be nice I bet. When I got my Rec 2x12 I probably would've gotten a pair of the Mini Rec cabs if the place had two straight versions. They had one straight and one slanted though. I was thinking I'd run them left and right instead of stacked, and would want two straight cabs for that setup (aesthetics).

Having the real cab could've felt limiting since I don't get the "benefit" of choosing "just the right IR." However it doesn't feel limiting at all. It feels somewhat freeing actually. I don't have to do the IR shuffle and think about paying for third party IR's. And taking one of the major variables out of the equation helps simplify dialing in sounds.

Well, I have thrown a curve altogether. I found a deal that couldn't be beat on a Marshall 1960AV. I played one not long ago and never considered it because of the price being way out of my budget range. This came in under budget and will be here Friday. I can always add a Mesa cab (or a pair of Rectifier cabs later as my budget expands). This ended up being less than my 2x12 budget so why not go 4x12 for the same scratch right?

Back
Top Bottom