Matrix GT1000fx question

Billbill

Power User
Hi all, I've had my Matrix gt1000fx ran with 2 orange PPC212s L/R in stereo with my AxeFx. I've been wondering what are these Neutrix Speakon connections for? Doesn't say much about them in the manual other than the obvious. Currently I'm running a short run of speaker cable from the cabs into these sockets but using standard 1/4".
What's the benefit of neutrix/Speakon thing? The manual also says under this section that "only terminal pair 1 carry signal". What does that even mean lol?! Thx

I think the main benefit of Speakon connectors is that they are twist-lock connectors. They are designed for high current uses like pro PA systems.

They will not accidentally become unplugged which can spell disaster for some amplifiers.

As far as the terminal pairs, Speakon supports 2, 4 and 8 pole configurations.

I've never used them with anything other than Axe Fx and Matrix, so no experience outside the 2 pole case.

I think the main benefit of Speakon connectors is that they are twist-lock connectors. They are designed for high current uses like pro PA systems.

They will not accidentally become unplugged which can spell disaster for some amplifiers.

As far as the terminal pairs, Speakon supports 2, 4 and 8 pole configurations.

I've never used them with anything other than Axe Fx and Matrix, so no experience outside the 2 pole case.
Ok I think I get it. Was just wondering if there were any tonal benefits i could be missing out on.
Thanks @unix-guy always a big help!

Ok sounds good. Sort of off topic is the power supply cord for the axe and the Matrix the same? I switched out my 2U rack for a 3U and can't remember which power supply went to what unit. The specs are in the manual for the Matrix but couldn't find anything in the axe manual. Didn't want to blow something up:/

No tonal benefits. Speakons are primarily a safer connection. With high voltage amps (bass amps, PA amps and the GT) you have a lot of electricity running through that speaker lead and the chance of you getting zapped is increased with a tip sleeve 1/4" connector (touching both at the same time as a signal is generated). Also small shorts if you are plugging in and tip and sleeve connect briefly as the jack is plugged in (rare but can happen). I find the primary benefit of them is they are easily maintainable. No soldering and a small screw connector inside means any problems and you can quickly fix in the field so to speak. We've had people blow the 1/4" jacks out of their cabs (rare again) with sound pressure levels (and loose sockets) and obviously Speakons fix that issue also. My personal opinion is 1/4" sockets for cabs are very outdated. I wish cab makers would move to combi jacks even if they cost a bit more. Oh and power cords are power cords. Only us in the UK have to worry about fuses in our plugs rated for the equipment being used.

No tonal benefits. Speakons are primarily a safer connection. With high voltage amps (bass amps, PA amps and the GT) you have a lot of electricity running through that speaker lead and the chance of you getting zapped is increased with a tip sleeve 1/4" connector (touching both at the same time as a signal is generated). Also small shorts if you are plugging in and tip and sleeve connect briefly as the jack is plugged in (rare but can happen). I find the primary benefit of them is they are easily maintainable. No soldering and a small screw connector inside means any problems and you can quickly fix in the field so to speak. We've had people blow the 1/4" jacks out of their cabs (rare again) with sound pressure levels (and loose sockets) and obviously Speakons fix that issue also. My personal opinion is 1/4" sockets for cabs are very outdated. I wish cab makers would move to combi jacks even if they cost a bit more. Oh and power cords are power cords. Only us in the UK have to worry about fuses in our plugs rated for the equipment being used.
Ok thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom